Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cisco 2621 w/Firewall IOS and Linksys WRV54G (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t56765-cisco-2621-w-firewall-ios-and-linksys-wrv54g.html)

sphealey 03-16-2006 03:46 PM

Cisco 2621 w/Firewall IOS and Linksys WRV54G

We have a managed Internet connection from a telecom provider which
uses a Cisco 2621 and the IOS Firewall (I believe) software as the CPE.
I do not have access to the router and have only the basics of the
configuration. The management service level is minimal (by contract);
I generally need to provide at least the basics of any change I
require. Given the overall situation with this service provider I am
not even sure they have a customer engineering group any more.

I have an end user who needs to connect to a remote system based on a
Linksys WRV54G using the EasyVPN client software. This client connects
successfully on an open Internet connection (e.g. at Starbucks), but
not surprisingly fails on our network.

Problem is - I can't find anything in the documentation or on the
Linksys web site telling me what protocols and ports I need to open to
make the connection work. They apparently assume the client can use
any without restrictions, which is not the case on any corporate
network I know of.

I have submitted questions to Linksys support over the last 6 days and
received no response, within 24 hours or otherwise. Of course the unit
comes with no support contract.

We ran an Ethereal trace and examined it to the best of our ability,
but we don't see anything obviously wrong or any clear indication of
how the connection is occuring/failing.

Does anyone have any experience/insight on connecting with this client?
My advice to not buy the Linksys was already disregarded.

Thanks.

sPh

Merv 03-16-2006 11:17 PM

Re: Cisco 2621 w/Firewall IOS and Linksys WRV54G

Please clarify the topology in question...

Is it ?

PC with Cisco VPN client ---> Linksys WRV54G ---> CM/DSL modem -->
Internet --->

---> Cisco 2621 ---> corp network

sPh 03-17-2006 01:34 AM

Merv wrote:
> Please clarify the topology in question...
>
> Is it ?
>
> PC with Cisco VPN client ---> Linksys WRV54G ---> CM/DSL modem -->
> Internet --->
>
> ---> Cisco 2621 ---> corp network

PC with Linksys EasyVPN client => Cisco 2621 => T1 => {Internet} => DSL
provider => DSL modem w/fixed IP => Linksys 54G => target W2K server

although I am not absolutely sure of the topology on the far (Linksys
router) end.

sPh

Merv 03-17-2006 07:59 AM

Re: Cisco 2621 w/Firewall IOS and Linksys WRV54G

So when the PC is not behind the 2621 it can communicate with the
Linksys 54G and when it is behind the 2621 it cannot communicate - is
that right ?

For port to open on 2621, see Walter's post at :

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.d...0c24806cde9f6b

jmaimon@ttec.com 03-20-2006 10:43 AM

sphealey wrote:
> We have a managed Internet connection from a telecom provider which

> I have an end user who needs to connect to a remote system based on a
> Linksys WRV54G using the EasyVPN client software. This client connects
> successfully on an open Internet connection (e.g. at Starbucks), but
> not surprisingly fails on our network.

"Managed" means this is your telecom's problem.

If they do not wish to resolve it for you, demand access to the
"managed" portion of the service, namely the router.

Odds are it needs to be upgraded with ram/flash/ios and its
configuration needs to be overhauled.