Velocity Reviews

-   -   Telstra Moves to Open Source / Linux (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567606-telstra-moves-to-open-source-linux.html)

steve 09-12-2003 06:11 AM

Telstra Moves to Open Source / Linux

http://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5E,00.html

Telstra goes open-source
Michael Sainsbury and Kelly Mills
SEPTEMBER 02, 2003
TELSTRA, Australia's largest technology company, has nailed its colours
firmly to the mast of open source software, creating a potential nightmare
for Microsoft and sending shivers through a range of traditional platform
providers.

Under Project Firefly, Telstra switched on a desktop trial in March using
two flavours of Linux and a Citrix-based Windows system, aimed at shifting
up to 85 per cent of its computing desktops to thin-client technology.

Telstra chief information officer Jeff Smith said he was determined to end a
history of internal duplication and technology incompatibility by deploying
open-source software right across the telecoms giant, which spends $1.5
billion each year on information technology. He aims to slice this cost in
half within three years.

"I would see a big movement from Windows and Unix to Linux," Mr Smith said.
"One of the by-products of Linux having its heritage in Unix is that it is
a very stable operating system."

......the rest is on the web site.....

T.N.O. 09-12-2003 06:59 AM

Re: Telstra Moves to Open Source / Linux

"steve" wrote
> Under Project Firefly, Telstra switched on a desktop trial in March using
> two flavours of Linux and a Citrix-based Windows system, aimed at shifting
> up to 85 per cent of its computing desktops to thin-client technology.

I have a question about this... If I use a Citrix Client on a Linux machine,
to access a Windows Citrix server, can I use Windows apps on my Linux box?

steve 09-12-2003 10:16 AM

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> "steve" wrote
>> Under Project Firefly, Telstra switched on a desktop trial in March using
>> two flavours of Linux and a Citrix-based Windows system, aimed at
>> shifting up to 85 per cent of its computing desktops to thin-client
>> technology.

> I have a question about this... If I use a Citrix Client on a Linux
> machine, to access a Windows Citrix server, can I use Windows apps on my
> Linux box?

Yes....anything the server will run.

There are many ways to access "legacy" Windows applications....and this is
one of them.

But Telstra say they want to use Star Office instead of MS Office....which
is a good sign.

The more heavy hitters using versions of Open Office, the better it will
get.

Uncle StoatWarbler 09-12-2003 05:30 PM

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:16:47 +1200, steve wrote:

>> I have a question about this... If I use a Citrix Client on a Linux
>> machine, to access a Windows Citrix server, can I use Windows apps on my
>> Linux box?

> Yes....anything the server will run.

It's cheaper to use Windows professional and rdesktop though. You still
pay a per-seat license, but you don't have the added Citrix costs.

T.N.O. 09-12-2003 09:02 PM

Re: Telstra Moves to Open Source / Linux

"steve" wrote
> Yes....anything the server will run.

Handy... Games? would it depend on the video card in the server, or the
Client?

> But Telstra say they want to use Star Office instead of MS Office....which
> is a good sign.
> The more heavy hitters using versions of Open Office, the better it will
> get.

That's good, I'd use OOo if I could at work, but so many users have weird
things that seem to make OOo lock up.

Lennier 09-12-2003 11:12 PM

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:30:51 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:16:47 +1200, steve wrote:
>
>>> I have a question about this... If I use a Citrix Client on a Linux
>>> machine, to access a Windows Citrix server, can I use Windows apps on
>>> my Linux box?

>> Yes....anything the server will run.

> It's cheaper to use Windows professional and rdesktop though. You still
> pay a per-seat license, but you don't have the added Citrix costs.

It'd be even cheaper to use Linux on both the server and the thin clients,
and, if you're wanting to run Windows applications, to run an emulator.

Lennier

dOTdASH 09-13-2003 06:41 AM

"T.N.O." <news@dave.net.nz> wrote in message
> "steve" wrote
> > Yes....anything the server will run.

> Handy... Games? would it depend on the video card in the server, or the
> Client?
>
> > But Telstra say they want to use Star Office instead of MS

Office....which
> > is a good sign.
> > The more heavy hitters using versions of Open Office, the better it will
> > get.

> That's good, I'd use OOo if I could at work, but so many users have weird
> things that seem to make OOo lock up.

And that's a problem with "weird things" rather than OOo ? Do the "weird
things" cause MS Office to lock up ?

T.N.O. 09-13-2003 06:58 AM

Re: Telstra Moves to Open Source / Linux

"dOTdASH" wrote
> And that's a problem with "weird things" rather than OOo ? Do the "weird
> things" cause MS Office to lock up ?

nope... they were created in Word(mostly).

steve 09-13-2003 09:56 AM

Uncle StoatWarbler allegedly said:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:16:47 +1200, steve wrote:
>
>>> I have a question about this... If I use a Citrix Client on a Linux
>>> machine, to access a Windows Citrix server, can I use Windows apps on my
>>> Linux box?

>> Yes....anything the server will run.

> It's cheaper to use Windows professional and rdesktop though. You still
> pay a per-seat license, but you don't have the added Citrix costs.

But you still have all the OTHER Windows problems.

Gib Bogle 09-13-2003 09:41 PM

dOTdASH wrote:

> "T.N.O." <news@dave.net.nz> wrote in message
>
>>"dOTdASH" wrote
>>
>>>And that's a problem with "weird things" rather than OOo ? Do the "weird
>>>things" cause MS Office to lock up ?

>>nope... they were created in Word(mostly).
>>

> Perhaps your post could read: "many users have created Word doc's but OOo
> locks up when I try to read most of them"
>
> Call me a cynic but many people might interpret this as a shortfall of OOo
> rather than anything to do with your end users or MS Office.

Call me a cynic but I wouldn't be surprised if MS has a group devoted to
developing code in MSWord that will cause a lock-up when a Word file is
opened by OOo. WTF is all that binary stuff that comes with a Word
file, sometimes making it several times larger than it needs to be?
Does anyone outside of MS know?

Gib