Velocity Reviews

-   -   AVG rescue disc(s) bug fixed (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567552-avg-rescue-disc-s-bug-fixed.html)

Keith 09-09-2003 09:38 AM

AVG rescue disc(s) bug fixed

Some weeks back there was a thread on how there was a bug with the AVG 6
Free edition. The virus signature file was greater than 1.4 Mb so when
creating the floppy rescue discs the process failed.

It appears that with the latest update (516) there was included some
program updates which appears to have fixed the problem. The rescue disc
creation utility will now span the floppies and you end up with three
discs in the rescue set.

Cheers
Keith

~misfit~ 09-09-2003 11:49 AM

Re: AVG rescue disc(s) bug fixed

"Keith" <keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net.nz> wrote in message
news:MPG.19c86697eb512f769896e2@news.clear.net.nz. ..
> Some weeks back there was a thread on how there was a bug with the AVG 6
> Free edition. The virus signature file was greater than 1.4 Mb so when
> creating the floppy rescue discs the process failed.
>
> It appears that with the latest update (516) there was included some
> program updates which appears to have fixed the problem. The rescue disc
> creation utility will now span the floppies and you end up with three
> discs in the rescue set.

Thanks for that. When I checked this afternoon they stll only had 515
available.
--
~misfit~

---

09-09-2003 07:51 PM

"~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:

>"Keith" <keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net.nz> wrote in message
>news:MPG.19c86697eb512f769896e2@news.clear.net.nz ...
>> Some weeks back there was a thread on how there was a bug with the AVG 6
>> Free edition. The virus signature file was greater than 1.4 Mb so when
>> creating the floppy rescue discs the process failed.
>>
>> It appears that with the latest update (516) there was included some
>> program updates which appears to have fixed the problem. The rescue disc
>> creation utility will now span the floppies and you end up with three
>> discs in the rescue set.

>Thanks for that. When I checked this afternoon they stll only had 515
>available.
>--

I did the update in the evening. Actually, their numbering is a bit
confusing. On the home page of Grisoft's website, the latest update
(with the program changes) is listed as 517, but if you do the update
directly from the scanner it downloads as 516.

Ferg 09-09-2003 09:43 PM

Re: AVG rescue disc(s) bug fixed

I hope that's not your unadulterated email address you just posted. Spam
alert!

Ferg

~misfit~ 09-10-2003 01:19 AM

Re: AVG rescue disc(s) bug fixed

<keithr3@clear.net.nz> wrote in message news:3f5e2f46$1@clear.net.nz...

> "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> >
> >"Keith" <keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net.nz> wrote in message
> >news:MPG.19c86697eb512f769896e2@news.clear.net.nz ...
> >> Some weeks back there was a thread on how there was a bug with the AVG

6
> >> Free edition. The virus signature file was greater than 1.4 Mb so when
> >> creating the floppy rescue discs the process failed.
> >>
> >> It appears that with the latest update (516) there was included some
> >> program updates which appears to have fixed the problem. The rescue

disc
> >> creation utility will now span the floppies and you end up with three
> >> discs in the rescue set.

> >Thanks for that. When I checked this afternoon they stll only had 515
> >available.
> >--

> I did the update in the evening. Actually, their numbering is a bit
> confusing. On the home page of Grisoft's website, the latest update
> (with the program changes) is listed as 517, but if you do the update
> directly from the scanner it downloads as 516.

I'm confused as all hell. I downloaded the update file last night, put it in
the 'update' directory of this machine and started AVG. I got a message
telling me certain files were missing and to contact blahblah@grisoft. I
thought "Bugger that" and uninstalled the proggy, re-booted, re-installed,
re-booted, ignored all the prompts to update, copied the d6032lhj.bin file
to my update directory and started AVG. It started and updated fine and
asked for a re-boot. The proggy I installed was one I've had on my HDD for
over a year.

Now when I check versions in AVG apparently I'm running proggy version
6.0.516 release date 2/9/03 and virus database 313 release date 1/9/03.

Does this seem right to you guys?
--
~misfit~

---

Keith 09-10-2003 04:58 AM

Re: AVG rescue disc(s) bug fixed

In article <m_u7b.142822$JA5.3458190@news.xtra.co.nz>,
misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...

> <keithr3@clear.net.nz> wrote in message news:3f5e2f46$1@clear.net.nz...
> >
> > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> > >
> > >"Keith" <keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net.nz> wrote in message
> > >news:MPG.19c86697eb512f769896e2@news.clear.net.nz ...

> 6

> disc
> > >
> > >Thanks for that. When I checked this afternoon they stll only had 515
> > >available.
> > >--

> > I did the update in the evening. Actually, their numbering is a bit
> > confusing. On the home page of Grisoft's website, the latest update
> > (with the program changes) is listed as 517, but if you do the update
> > directly from the scanner it downloads as 516.

> I'm confused as all hell. I downloaded the update file last night, put it in
> the 'update' directory of this machine and started AVG. I got a message
> telling me certain files were missing and to contact blahblah@grisoft. I
> thought "Bugger that" and uninstalled the proggy, re-booted, re-installed,
> re-booted, ignored all the prompts to update, copied the d6032lhj.bin file
> to my update directory and started AVG. It started and updated fine and
> asked for a re-boot. The proggy I installed was one I've had on my HDD for
> over a year.

How are you downloading? I just doubleclick on the AVG icon in the system
tray which opens the control centre. Then click on the "Update manager"
tab and the the "Update Now" button. For me, this seems to download into
the "Update" folder and automatically run the update when finished.

> Now when I check versions in AVG apparently I'm running proggy version
> 6.0.516 release date 2/9/03 and virus database 313 release date 1/9/03.
>
> Does this seem right to you guys?

The ver no.s and dates are the same as mine so you should be right.

~misfit~ 09-10-2003 06:16 AM

news:MPG.19c9769c601641e59896e3@news.clear.net.nz. ..
> In article <m_u7b.142822$JA5.3458190@news.xtra.co.nz>,
> misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...
> >
> > I'm confused as all hell. I downloaded the update file last night, put

it in
> > the 'update' directory of this machine and started AVG. I got a message
> > telling me certain files were missing and to contact blahblah@grisoft. I
> > thought "Bugger that" and uninstalled the proggy, re-booted,

re-installed,
> > re-booted, ignored all the prompts to update, copied the d6032lhj.bin

file
> > to my update directory and started AVG. It started and updated fine and
> > asked for a re-boot. The proggy I installed was one I've had on my HDD

for
> > over a year.

> How are you downloading? I just doubleclick on the AVG icon in the system
> tray which opens the control centre. Then click on the "Update manager"
> tab and the the "Update Now" button. For me, this seems to download into
> the "Update" folder and automatically run the update when finished.

I was doing it that way too up until I had problems a week or so ago and I
couldn't download via that method, either from their .cz site or their .com
site. Also, as I have it on all four machines on my LAN (what licence
agreement?) I have been advised to download the file from their website and
copy into the 'upgrade' directory of all the machines and then run AVG and
it updates automagically. One 3-odd MB download versus 4 X 1.3MB dowload.

> > Now when I check versions in AVG apparently I'm running proggy version
> > 6.0.516 release date 2/9/03 and virus database 313 release date 1/9/03.
> >
> > Does this seem right to you guys?

> The ver no.s and dates are the same as mine so you should be right.

OK, cool. The thing is, this latest update, which only appeared for download
today, has the same date as the last update I already had, 01/09/03. I'm
guessing there are no new signature files included, just a patch for the
glitch that occured when writing a set of rescue disks.
--
~misfit~

---