Velocity Reviews

-   -   DV - Analog converter... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567542-dv-analog-converter.html)

BP 09-09-2003 04:26 AM

DV - Analog converter...

Hiya,

Does anyone know of a decent firewire DV - composite/s-video converter that
doesn't cost the earth?

Preferably one that does bi-directional encoding (DV-Analogue + Analogue -
DV).

Thanks for any help.

BP

shane hobson 09-10-2003 07:59 PM

Re: DV - Analog converter...

In article <CEc7b.89$tv1.10048@news02.tsnz.net>, "BP"
<meester_nipples@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a decent firewire DV - composite/s-video converter that
> doesn't cost the earth?

I've got one of these and seems to work well:
http://www.canopus-aust.com/US/produ...m_advc-100.asp

We rent it out, try before you buy if you like.
$150+GST for a month.

www.macrent.co.nz

cheers
shane

Mutley 09-10-2003 11:25 PM

Re: DV - Analog converter...

shane@dclick.co.nz (shane hobson) wrote:

>In article <CEc7b.89$tv1.10048@news02.tsnz.net>, "BP"
><meester_nipples@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Does anyone know of a decent firewire DV - composite/s-video converter that
>> doesn't cost the earth?

>I've got one of these and seems to work well:
>http://www.canopus-aust.com/US/produ...m_advc-100.asp
>
>We rent it out, try before you buy if you like.
>$150+GST for a month.
>
>www.macrent.co.nz
>
>cheers
>shane

You could buy a cheap DV camcorder that does analog to DV and back
again conversion.. Though the ADVC 100 is a good box. From memory
it cost around the NZ$700 to $800 mark..

BP 09-11-2003 11:46 PM

Re: DV - Analog converter...

Thanks for the replies...

Protel in Welly have a videodata unit (DAC-100) for around the 400-500 mark
I believe (the price isn't on the site, and that is secondhand knowledge for
the pricing).

I was hoping there would be another, cheaper option, but it looks like the
best deal I'll get.

Thanks again.

BP

news:99efcd87dbe3655597a66561eae5f032@news.teranew s.com...

Richard Malcolm-Smith 09-12-2003 11:40 AM

Re: DV - Analog converter...

> You could buy a cheap DV camcorder that does analog to DV and back
> again conversion.. Though the ADVC 100 is a good box. From memory
> it cost around the NZ$700 to $800 mark..

When I tried this to get some hi-8 tapes onto the PC to get some stills from it
was a disaster. It basically looked like a bad jpeg before I even saved it. Also
I swear it looked like it was being reduced to composite and back on the way
thru despite using an svideo cable. I ended up getting better stills from my
bt848 card and dscaler.

Never did try it for video tho, but what I got from the dv camera itself was
pretty rubbish, so it may just be the sony I was borrowing. I always thought
that DV was good quality but im thinking tht svideo is better :(