Velocity Reviews

-   -   Real Broadband ! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567535-real-broadband.html)

Chris Mayhew 09-08-2003 10:25 PM

Real Broadband !

NZ Herald article:

"...Counties Power has shifted gear into the fast lane of broadband
internet access, lifting customer connection speeds by up to 10 times for
the same cost..."

http://snurl.com/2a9f

--
Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

T.N.O. 09-08-2003 10:36 PM

Re: Real Broadband !

"Chris Mayhew" wrote
> "...Counties Power has shifted gear into the fast lane of broadband
> internet access, lifting customer connection speeds by up to 10 times for
> the same cost..."

wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...

wait a minute... That still sucks.

Chris Mayhew 09-08-2003 10:46 PM

Re: Real Broadband !

"T.N.O." <news@dave.net.nz> wrote in

> "Chris Mayhew" wrote
>> "...Counties Power has shifted gear into the fast lane of broadband
>> internet access, lifting customer connection speeds by up to 10 times
>> for the same cost..."

> wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
>
> wait a minute... That still sucks.

I though it might..... :)

--
Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

T.N.O. 09-09-2003 12:32 AM

Re: Real Broadband !

"KS" wrote
> > wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
> > wait a minute... That still sucks.

> Moving from 128 kbps to 1 mbps for data transfer, with no cost increase.

The speed increase is good, but the cap would suck, I would rather see
512kbps and a 10GB cap, or 256kbps and a 20GB cap...

Andrew 09-09-2003 01:10 AM

Re: Real Broadband !

I could well handle that, I dont need large caps, i just want speed at low
price :)

Chris Mayhew 09-09-2003 01:19 AM

Re: Real Broadband !

"T.N.O." <news@dave.net.nz> wrote in news:bjj748$jp24d$1@ID-
183327.news.uni-berlin.de:

> "KS" wrote
>> > wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
>> > wait a minute... That still sucks.

>> Moving from 128 kbps to 1 mbps for data transfer, with no cost increase.

> The speed increase is good, but the cap would suck, I would rather see
> 512kbps and a 10GB cap, or 256kbps and a 20GB cap...

I wonder if Telecom will up the speed in the area's where this is available
- like they cut the price of a phone in some parts of the country ? ....
now that WOULD suck !

--
Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

Roger Ramjet 09-09-2003 01:24 AM

Re: Real Broadband !

> > wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
> >
> > wait a minute... That still sucks.

Don't be so negative. They should be congratulated. The vast majority
of people don't use more than 5gb. Only heavy filesharers use more
than 5gb and these are the kind of customers a provider would want to
avoid.

SNOman 09-09-2003 01:32 AM

Re: Real Broadband !

Chris Mayhew wrote:

> NZ Herald article:
>
> "...Counties Power has shifted gear into the fast lane of broadband
> internet access, lifting customer connection speeds by up to 10 times for
> the same cost..."
>
> http://snurl.com/2a9f

Well done Counties Power!

asdf 09-09-2003 02:23 AM

Re: Real Broadband !

now thats is cool

i think that 5 G's is enough, 10 would be nice, i get 10 at the mo, but dont
have any idea how close i get to it but 1MB would be very good...

TAKE NOTE TELLECOM 128's just a fast modem, but 1 MB is geting resonable.

DAniel

~misfit~ 09-09-2003 02:59 AM

Re: Real Broadband !

"T.N.O." <news@dave.net.nz> wrote in message
> "KS" wrote
> > > wow, 1Mb/s with a 5GB cap...
> > > wait a minute... That still sucks.

> > Moving from 128 kbps to 1 mbps for data transfer, with no cost increase.

> The speed increase is good, but the cap would suck, I would rather see
> 512kbps and a 10GB cap, or 256kbps and a 20GB cap...

Yep, Wired Coutry caps suck. Their install fees and bandwidth are good. I've
been on their mailing list since the inception and have had regular
newsletters. I've been seriously considering using them, hence my questions
recently here about utilities to monitor through-put, but there is no way
I'll go to them unless they raise their caps. 10 cents per MB over the cap?
Some months could see me being billed for hundreds. Or ceasing all net/email
checking activint for a week or more.

The plan I was looking at, the only one I could remotely afford, had a 1GB
cap!! I would get close to that just downloading all the crap HTML spam
emials I get and doing a bit of browsing. (there are two of us sharing the
connection)

The cynic in me says that their current 'free upgrade' to faster connection
speeds has been implemented so that people will grossly exceed their caps
and have to pay a fortune in excess fees. Revenue gathering disguised as a
gift.
--
~misfit~

---