Velocity Reviews

-   -   Streaming Frustrations (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567505-streaming-frustrations.html)

Alpine Dragon 09-07-2003 09:33 AM

Streaming Frustrations

I've been given this site by a overseas friend
http://www.digitallyimported.net for listening to streams of Dance related
music. But for some reasons I cannot stream any of the Windows Media
Player 67Kbps streams reliably at all.

Has anyone using the Jetstream starter service been able to stream any of
the 64Kbps streams at all without any drops out?

steve 09-07-2003 11:21 AM

Re: Streaming Frustrations

Alpine Dragon allegedly said:

> I've been given this site by a overseas friend
> http://www.digitallyimported.net for listening to streams of Dance related
> music. But for some reasons I cannot stream any of the Windows Media
> Player 67Kbps streams reliably at all.
>
> Has anyone using the Jetstream starter service been able to stream any of
> the 64Kbps streams at all without any drops out?

The Trance at 64k went just fine on WMP 6.4 running on Linux via WINE.

I'm on TC cable.

Nathan Mercer 09-08-2003 08:22 AM

Re: Streaming Frustrations

http://www.paradise.net.nz/detect/fr...n/show-streams
> > they mirror two of the feeds from Digitally Imported (www.di.fm)

> Thanks for your replies, It seems I was able to listen to their streams
> properly before heading off this morning. But around 5 to 5:30 PM it

starts
> to break up and gets progressively worst further into the evening to the
> point even the lower 33kbit streams also become unreliable.
>
> Of course being in Auckland, there is no Telstra Clear Cable so I'm
> condemned to using Jetstream Starter 128K/bit.
>
> Would this be an ISP or Telecom Issue? Could all these worms floating
> around be having an effect?

FWIW I'm on Jetstrean Starter with Xtra as my ISP and I can stream all those
Windows Media 64k streams fine, even at 5pm

Richard Malcolm-Smith 09-08-2003 09:22 AM

Re: Streaming Frustrations

Alpine Dragon wrote:

> Of course being in Auckland, there is no Telstra Clear Cable so I'm
> condemned to using Jetstream Starter 128K/bit.
>
> Would this be an ISP or Telecom Issue? Could all these worms floating
> around be having an effect?

ISP most likly, try the local streams at the same time and see how they go.

Aaron Lawrence 09-08-2003 02:59 PM

Re: Streaming Frustrations

Thus spake Alpine Dragon:
> I've been given this site by a overseas friend
> http://www.digitallyimported.net for listening to streams of Dance related

Thanks for the tip, that's a good station...

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

T-Boy 09-08-2003 08:26 PM

Re: Streaming Frustrations

In article <MPG.19c7526bd214162a989a11@news.xtra.co.nz>,
aaronlNOT@HEREconsultant.com says...
> Thus spake Alpine Dragon:
> > I've been given this site by a overseas friend
> > http://www.digitallyimported.net for listening to streams of Dance related

> Thanks for the tip, that's a good station...

What is good?

I think it's pretty crappy! :)

I generally use Shoutcast myself.

--
Duncan

Aaron Lawrence 09-09-2003 11:44 AM

Re: Streaming Frustrations

Thus spake T-Boy:
> What is good?

The music is to (one of) my tastes

> I generally use Shoutcast myself.

Example?

T-Boy 09-09-2003 08:41 PM

Re: Streaming Frustrations

In article <MPG.19c87650c3d91c9c989a13@news.xtra.co.nz>,
aaronlNOT@HEREconsultant.com says...
> Thus spake T-Boy:
> > What is good?

> The music is to (one of) my tastes
>
> > I generally use Shoutcast myself.

> Example?

http://yp.shoutcast.com/ - and maybe choose a bandwidth and
genre.

--
Duncan

T-Boy 09-09-2003 09:15 PM

Re: Streaming Frustrations

In article <pan.2003.09.09.21.08.53.599765@xx.xx>, oj@xx.xx
says...
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:41:03 +1200, T-Boy wrote:
>
> > In article <MPG.19c87650c3d91c9c989a13@news.xtra.co.nz>,
> > aaronlNOT@HEREconsultant.com says...
> >> Thus spake T-Boy:
> >> The music is to (one of) my tastes

> >> Example?

> > http://yp.shoutcast.com/ - and maybe choose a bandwidth and
> > genre.

> I thought you meant you were streaming yourself ;>)

For that, I've used JetAudio (check it out - quite a nice
player and broadcaster) - supports more formats than any other
player (including vid) that I've ever seen.

> http://www.digitallyimported.net/
> has both wmv streams and mp3 streams
>
> http://radio.paradise.net.nz:8010/listen.pls
> is the 128k trance mp3 stream from digitally imported mirrored by Paradise on
> their streaming audio page.
> It probably comes from an Icecast server.
> If you are a TS cable customer it counts as zero data.

I rarely use the DI mirror on Paradise - even though I'm cable
etc and the traffic doesn't count - bit tranced out you might
say.

> I have lots of stations loaded up on Rhythmbox.
> http://www.rhythmbox.org/

WILCO - cheers for the link.

--
Duncan

Olson Johnson 09-09-2003 09:50 PM

Re: Streaming Frustrations

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:15:52 +1200, T-Boy wrote:

> In article <pan.2003.09.09.21.08.53.599765@xx.xx>, oj@xx.xx
> says...
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:41:03 +1200, T-Boy wrote:
>>
>> > In article <MPG.19c87650c3d91c9c989a13@news.xtra.co.nz>,
>> > aaronlNOT@HEREconsultant.com says...

>> > http://yp.shoutcast.com/ - and maybe choose a bandwidth and
>> > genre.

>> I thought you meant you were streaming yourself ;>)

> For that, I've used JetAudio (check it out - quite a nice
> player and broadcaster) - supports more formats than any other
> player (including vid) that I've ever seen.

Thanks

>> http://www.digitallyimported.net/
>> has both wmv streams and mp3 streams
>>
>> http://radio.paradise.net.nz:8010/listen.pls
>> is the 128k trance mp3 stream from digitally imported mirrored by Paradise on
>> their streaming audio page.
>> It probably comes from an Icecast server.
>> If you are a TS cable customer it counts as zero data.

> I rarely use the DI mirror on Paradise - even though I'm cable
> etc and the traffic doesn't count - bit tranced out you might
> say.

Its not my cuppa either, I'm more inclined to the Groove Salad stream or
RadioActive when its working.