Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to read a floppy disk formatted to 240Kb? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567484-how-to-read-a-floppy-disk-formatted-to-240kb.html)

~misfit~ 09-05-2003 10:20 AM

How to read a floppy disk formatted to 240Kb?

I have a friend who, years ago, used a Brother Word Processor, Model WP-80.
It got put in the shed when she left home and is now very much the worse for
wear. (It got wet). The thing is, she still has some disks that she used
with it with stuff on that she would like to access.

The machine seems like it would use any 3.5" floppy but formatted them to
240KB. Is there any way I can access the data on a PC? And, (why not ask for
the moon?) is there a program around that I could read the files with
*assuming* I can access them?

This is quite important to her, the disks contain some poetry she wrote when
she was a student and no longer has hard-copies of. Real sentimental value.
I've promised to do my best, which hasn't turned up any results yet, even
through my friend google.

Can anyone help me. When I put a floppy in my PC it tells me it isn't
formatted. Maybe if I change the floppy format from 1.44MB in BIOS? (I'll
probably try that anyway, it just came to me).

Any help would be very much appreciated. I have the machine itself in the
hot-water cupboard but don't hold out much hope for it, it's been getting
wet for a while.

Huge thanks in advance,
--
~misfit~

---

mnm snr 09-05-2003 11:04 AM

Re: How to read a floppy disk formatted to 240Kb?

chances are the floppies are no good unless they have been stored in a
controlled environment. mould likes to grow on them.

if you are prepared to risk damage to your fdd try
(in a 1.44mb drive ms environment);
xcopy a: b: /e /s /h

and swap to a good floppy when prompted.

but you would probably have better luck with linux;
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

if you are successful copying the data you will probably find the files
are wordstar format which can be stripped with any editor.

Uncle StoatWarbler 09-05-2003 01:12 PM

Re: How to read a floppy disk formatted to 240Kb?

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:20:57 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> The machine seems like it would use any 3.5" floppy but formatted them to
> 240KB. Is there any way I can access the data on a PC? And, (why not ask for
> the moon?) is there a program around that I could read the files with
> *assuming* I can access them?

Look for a DOS program called "alien" which should be able to read the
discs.

The problem after then will be decoding whatever file format was used

~misfit~ 09-05-2003 02:46 PM

"Uncle StoatWarbler" <alanb+google4@digistar.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.09.05.13.12.24.328699@digistar.com.. .
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:20:57 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > The machine seems like it would use any 3.5" floppy but formatted them

> > 240KB. Is there any way I can access the data on a PC? And, (why not ask

for
> > the moon?) is there a program around that I could read the files with
> > *assuming* I can access them?

> Look for a DOS program called "alien" which should be able to read the
> discs.
>
> The problem after then will be decoding whatever file format was used

And then will I have to run in pure DOS? Or what? (sorry, it's late and I'm
off to bed in a mo and don't have time to check now) I could throw an old
HDD in and install DOS 6.2 if my disks are still good. I don't have a
machine that has pure DOS installed at the moment. I will set one up tough
if needed and my install discs still work.

Thanks my friend.
--
~misfit~

---

mnm snr 09-05-2003 10:20 PM

Re: How to read a floppy disk formatted to 240Kb?

in linux from kde open a terminal (konsole) and su to root (if you arent
already root)

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
ls -la /mnt/floppy
if you get a positive result
md /wp80
cd /wp80
md one
cd one
cp -r /mnt/floppy/* .
when thats done
umount /mnt/floppy (or you could try eject /mnt/floppy )
ls -la *

pick any file of substance and try

cat filename

to see its content. hmm, student poetry, read at own risk...

mount a new floppy copy the files onto it and move onto the next old
floppy. be aware that the old floppies may well contain an identical
directory structure and file names, although the file content may be
different, so you may want to create new subdirectories for each floppy

md ../two

etcetera

if you find some floppies dont work dis-assemble them, clean them with
air in a can and re-assemble them, things like the sliding cover
generally dont matter when you are putting them back together. keep your
finger prints off them.

~misfit~ 09-06-2003 03:10 AM

"~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
> I have a friend who, years ago, used a Brother Word Processor, Model

WP-80.

On another note, anyone have any idea where I can find a manual for this
beast? Google came up empty for me. I think it's from the mid to late
eighties. Has a 5" by 9" CRT built-in.

Thank you kind sirs (and ladies)
--
~misfit~

---

~misfit~ 09-06-2003 03:42 AM

> "mnm snr" <mnm@mnm.com> wrote in message
> > chances are the floppies are no good unless they have been stored in a
> > controlled environment. mould likes to grow on them.
> >
> > if you are prepared to risk damage to your fdd try
> > (in a 1.44mb drive ms environment);
> > xcopy a: b: /e /s /h

> I have a half-dozen spare floppy frives so I'm not worried about wrecking
> one or two. Will this work in XP or should I boot to 98SE? I presume I

click
> 'start - run'? Or do I do it differently? Go to a dos prompt maybe?
>
> > and swap to a good floppy when prompted.

I've tried this several times on machines running XP and 98SE with no luck.
Bugger.
--
~misfit~

---

~misfit~ 09-06-2003 04:13 AM

> in linux from kde open a terminal (konsole) and su to root (if you arent
> already root)
>
> mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> ls -la /mnt/floppy
> if you get a positive result
> md /wp80
> cd /wp80
> md one
> cd one
> cp -r /mnt/floppy/* .
> when thats done
> umount /mnt/floppy (or you could try eject /mnt/floppy )
> ls -la *
>
> pick any file of substance and try
>
> cat filename
>
> to see its content.

I know jack about Linux, these commands are a little like a foriegn language
to me. i.e. I don't know exactly to go about it, I may try to fumble my way
though it if all else fails.

> hmm, student poetry, read at own risk...

She is actually an excellent poet, this is some of her early work that is
(for now) lost. She's not actually sure that any of it is still on the disks
as her younger brother has played with the machine since she moved to
Sydney. We're hoping he just used it in it's typewritter function and didn't
touch her disks. They still have the wee tab in the 'write-protect' position
so that's a good sign.

> mount a new floppy copy the files onto it and move onto the next old
> floppy. be aware that the old floppies may well contain an identical
> directory structure and file names, although the file content may be
> different, so you may want to create new subdirectories for each floppy
>
> md ../two
>
> etcetera
>

> if you find some floppies dont work dis-assemble them, clean them with
> air in a can and re-assemble them, things like the sliding cover
> generally dont matter when you are putting them back together. keep your
> finger prints off them.

All good advice, thanks. I'll see how I go with an OS I'm more familiar with
first. I'm considering dis-assembling the word processor (if it doesn't work
after a few days of drying out, it was only wet for a few days) and trying
to mount the floppy drive from it in a PC if that's at all possible.
Probably not though.

I tried to set my PCs BIOS to 260kb floppy but it only goes down to 360kb.

Incidently, one of these disks is a 3M HD disk that came pre-formatted to
1.44Mb, she must have re-formatted it. She's currently in Syndey and doesn't
have internet acces at present so I'm unable to talk to her about it. I was
just given the task as I'm supposed to be 'good with computers'. :-)
--
~misfit~

---

Gordon 09-06-2003 04:22 AM

Re: How to read a floppy disk formatted to 240Kb?

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:20:57 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> I have a friend who, years ago, used a Brother Word Processor, Model WP-80.

As a thought how about a programme which reads the disk sector by sector?
Might not work if it is a funny format.

The first task it appears is to Read the Disk. Then we can start reading
the files.

--
Gordon

Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
Works for me, will work for you, so be it.

~misfit~ 09-06-2003 06:21 AM

"Gordon" <flash130@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:20:57 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > I have a friend who, years ago, used a Brother Word Processor, Model

WP-80.

> As a thought how about a programme which reads the disk sector by sector?
> Might not work if it is a funny format.
>
> The first task it appears is to Read the Disk. Then we can start reading
> the files.

Sounds like a good plan Gordon. The trouble is that's a bit beyond my
knowledge at the moment. I wouldn't know how to go about it. Windows insists
the disk(s) is/are unformatted.
--
~misfit~

---