Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: modem problem? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567373-re-modem-problem.html)

Mainlander 08-30-2003 09:43 AM

Re: modem problem?

In article <bipjkr$c0rqf$1@ID-130088.news.uni-berlin.de>,
aworhol@hotmail.com says...
> For a few days now I can only access website for a couple of minutes and
> then I am unable to access any more while the icon still turn as it looks
> for the site requested. *But* I can still download email and posts to
> usenet?
> Each time I reboot I can access 2-3 sites then the modem stops downloading
> even though I am still connected.
> Have changed out the modem ( still same prob) and the memory chip ( 128meg
> stick pc133).
>
> The system crashes when I play games or anything intensive also, but find it
> hard to relate to my browsing problem. All my security settings have been
> checked.
> I am using a Hewlett Packard 500mhz, win 98, OE6.
>
> My local help desk reckons I needed a firmware update ( yeah right- they
> would ) but trying another modem discounted that advice.

Could also be something in Windows that locks up TCP/IP access, I used to
get an error that something in the Ras services had conked out, at any
rate restarting Windows fixed it every time.

cajones 09-06-2003 05:09 AM

Re: modem problem?

"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
news:MPG.19bb38d3afc4a6f6989c3c@news.paradise.net. nz...
> In article <bipjkr$c0rqf$1@ID-130088.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> aworhol@hotmail.com says...
> > For a few days now I can only access website for a couple of minutes and
> > then I am unable to access any more while the icon still turn as it

looks
> > for the site requested. *But* I can still download email and posts to
> > usenet?
> > Each time I reboot I can access 2-3 sites then the modem stops

downloading
> > even though I am still connected.
> > Have changed out the modem ( still same prob) and the memory chip (

128meg
> > stick pc133).
> >
> > The system crashes when I play games or anything intensive also, but

find it
> > hard to relate to my browsing problem. All my security settings have

been
> > checked.
> > I am using a Hewlett Packard 500mhz, win 98, OE6.
> >
> > My local help desk reckons I needed a firmware update ( yeah right- they
> > would ) but trying another modem discounted that advice.

> Could also be something in Windows that locks up TCP/IP access, I used to
> get an error that something in the Ras services had conked out, at any
> rate restarting Windows fixed it every time.

Rebooting windows lets me access 2-3 pages worth of internet sites( 12meg
approx.) and then nothing. Still get email and newsgroups though.