Velocity Reviews

-   -   PC for watching DVD's (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567284-pc-for-watching-dvds.html)

rob 08-26-2003 11:09 AM

PC for watching DVD's

I've been asked to spec and find a price for a new pc for a friend who has
very simple requirements, a bit of email, minimal web surfing, the odd
letter.
But a low budget.
He also thought he'd like to be able to watch DVD movies on it sometimes.
I have no experience of DVD watching on anything, let alone a pc but have
noticed quite a lot of discussion here.

Could anyone pls suggest a minimum spec and suitable DVD drive for such a
machine?
He's not fussy, particularly as he'll be upgrading from a 100MHz laptop

I had thought something like a low end Athlon or Celeron
256MB RAM
40 GB HD
on board sound and graphics
cheapo 17" monitor (as seen discussed here recently)

All advice gratefully received.
thanks
Rob

T.N.O 08-26-2003 11:16 AM

Re: PC for watching DVD's

"rob" wrote
> I've been asked to spec and find a price for a new pc for a friend who has
> very simple requirements, a bit of email, minimal web surfing, the odd
> letter.
> But a low budget.

Go for pretty much the cheapest low end duron you can get, anything above
500mhz(being very lenient here) will be suitable for watching DVDs, checking
email etc.

> Could anyone pls suggest a minimum spec and suitable DVD drive for such a
> machine?

I had a DVD player in a Celeron 300/128MB ram here, and it went just fine
unless it was doing other things aswell, after throwing another 128MB ram
into it, it was then fine

> He's not fussy, particularly as he'll be upgrading from a 100MHz laptop

Anything will fly compared to that machine.

> I had thought something like a low end Athlon or Celeron
> 256MB RAM
> 40 GB HD
> on board sound and graphics
> cheapo 17" monitor (as seen discussed here recently)

Yup, sounds good. Should be able to do it for around $1200 tops(again being
very lenient).

Robert Kramer 08-26-2003 11:32 AM

Re: PC for watching DVD's

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:09:13 +1200, "rob" <nomail@here.com> wrote:

>I've been asked to spec and find a price for a new pc for a friend who has
>very simple requirements, a bit of email, minimal web surfing, the odd
>letter.
>But a low budget.
>He also thought he'd like to be able to watch DVD movies on it sometimes.
>I have no experience of DVD watching on anything, let alone a pc but have
>noticed quite a lot of discussion here.
>
>Could anyone pls suggest a minimum spec and suitable DVD drive for such a
>machine?
>He's not fussy, particularly as he'll be upgrading from a 100MHz laptop
>
>I had thought something like a low end Athlon or Celeron
>256MB RAM
>40 GB HD
>on board sound and graphics
>cheapo 17" monitor (as seen discussed here recently)
>
>All advice gratefully received.
>thanks
>Rob

For a 3D card use a MX440 as it has some DVD decoding built in.

Robert Kramer 08-26-2003 11:35 AM

Re: PC for watching DVD's

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:09:13 +1200, "rob" <nomail@here.com> wrote:

>I've been asked to spec and find a price for a new pc for a friend who has
>very simple requirements, a bit of email, minimal web surfing, the odd
>letter.
>But a low budget.
>He also thought he'd like to be able to watch DVD movies on it sometimes.
>I have no experience of DVD watching on anything, let alone a pc but have
>noticed quite a lot of discussion here.
>
>Could anyone pls suggest a minimum spec and suitable DVD drive for such a
>machine?
>He's not fussy, particularly as he'll be upgrading from a 100MHz laptop
>
>I had thought something like a low end Athlon or Celeron
>256MB RAM
>40 GB HD
>on board sound and graphics
>cheapo 17" monitor (as seen discussed here recently)
>
>All advice gratefully received.
>thanks
>Rob

The Other thing would be a Nforse 2 MoBo as it has a MX420 on the board and
are reasonable cheap..

Robert Kramer 08-26-2003 12:18 PM

Re: PC for watching DVD's

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:55:43 +1200, "rob" <nomail@here.com> wrote:

>"Robert Kramer" <robert.k@nohost.co.nz> wrote in message
>news:dchmkvkd7lq99qsgdl950s19vcn0osnif1@4ax.com.. .
>> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:09:13 +1200, "rob" <nomail@here.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I've been asked to spec and find a price for a new pc for a friend who

>has
>> >very simple requirements, a bit of email, minimal web surfing, the odd
>> >letter.
>> >But a low budget.
>> >He also thought he'd like to be able to watch DVD movies on it sometimes.
>> >I have no experience of DVD watching on anything, let alone a pc but have
>> >noticed quite a lot of discussion here.
>> >
>> >Could anyone pls suggest a minimum spec and suitable DVD drive for such a
>> >machine?
>> >He's not fussy, particularly as he'll be upgrading from a 100MHz laptop
>> >
>> >I had thought something like a low end Athlon or Celeron
>> >256MB RAM
>> >40 GB HD
>> >on board sound and graphics
>> >cheapo 17" monitor (as seen discussed here recently)
>> >
>> >All advice gratefully received.
>> >thanks
>> >Rob
>> >

>> The Other thing would be a Nforse 2 MoBo as it has a MX420 on the board

>and
>> are reasonable cheap..
>>

>Thanks for the help TNO and Robert
>
>any ideas of a reasonable and cheapish drive suitable for viewing movies or
>are they pretty much of a muchness?
>also any advice on software vs hardware decoding would be appreciated too.
>
>rgds
>rob

Nothing at all wrong with software decoding and a lot is done in the 3D card,
unless you are referring the a Hollywood type Decoding card..

Thats extra card on top of the 3D card, just more money and to me not really
needed.

I still prefer a Branded drive, Not Korean or Chinese..

This has been referred to as a good drive and can change rejoins

Asus E616 16x48x Retail DVD-Rom Drive 12 Months $90 inc

from pp.

GraB 08-26-2003 12:47 PM

Re: PC for watching DVD's

>Nothing at all wrong with software decoding and a lot is done in the 3D card,
>unless you are referring the a Hollywood type Decoding card..
>
>Thats extra card on top of the 3D card, just more money and to me not really
>needed.
>
>I still prefer a Branded drive, Not Korean or Chinese..
>
>This has been referred to as a good drive and can change rejoins
>

>Asus E616 16x48x Retail DVD-Rom Drive 12 Months $90 inc
>
>from pp.

While software decoding is good I found an improvement when going to
an ATI Radeon 7500 (cheap) with its built-in DVD decoding.

rob 08-26-2003 12:48 PM

Re: PC for watching DVD's

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:55:43 +1200, "rob" <nomail@here.com> wrote:
>

> >"Robert Kramer" <robert.k@nohost.co.nz> wrote in message
> >news:dchmkvkd7lq99qsgdl950s19vcn0osnif1@4ax.com.. .

> >has

sometimes.

have

such a

laptop

> >> The Other thing would be a Nforse 2 MoBo as it has a MX420 on the board

> >and
> >> are reasonable cheap..
> >>

> >Thanks for the help TNO and Robert
> >
> >any ideas of a reasonable and cheapish drive suitable for viewing movies

or
> >are they pretty much of a muchness?
> >also any advice on software vs hardware decoding would be appreciated

too.

> >rgds
> >rob
> >

> Nothing at all wrong with software decoding and a lot is done in the 3D

card,
> unless you are referring the a Hollywood type Decoding card..
>
> Thats extra card on top of the 3D card, just more money and to me not

really
> needed.

You mention 3D card, are you saying that a 3D graphics card would be
required rather than bog std onboard graphics?

> I still prefer a Branded drive, Not Korean or Chinese..
>
> This has been referred to as a good drive and can change rejoins
>

> Asus E616 16x48x Retail DVD-Rom Drive 12 Months $90 inc
>
> from pp.

thanks I'll check that drive out

Uncle StoatWarbler 08-26-2003 02:37 PM

Re: PC for watching DVD's

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:18:01 +1200, Robert Kramer wrote:

> Nothing at all wrong with software decoding and a lot is done in the 3D
> card, unless you are referring the a Hollywood type Decoding card..

Ever tried to get Win2k/XP drivers for the hardware DVD decoder cards?

Henry Falkner 08-26-2003 08:18 PM

Re: PC for watching DVD's

> Could anyone pls suggest a minimum spec and suitable DVD drive for such a
> machine?
> He's not fussy, particularly as he'll be upgrading from a 100MHz laptop
>
> I had thought something like a low end Athlon or Celeron
> 256MB RAM
> 40 GB HD
> on board sound and graphics
> cheapo 17" monitor (as seen discussed here recently)

I have DVDs that will not play on my Toshiba Satellite 750DVD, and others
that will not play on Philips DVD 955. Have not tested everything on this
Toshiba Satellite A10. The only DVD I tried has a special function
substituted for what would be the 'menu' button on a remote control. That is
a bit hit and miss.

I suggest he try the type of DVD he intends to play on the intended
purchase, since there are hardware and firmware issues. The Satellite 750DVD
has a software DVD implementation that cannot be upgraded. Toshiba do not
provide an upgrade, neither will the supplier of the DVD playing software
'because each version is specific to the hardware and operating system'.

Henry

rob 08-26-2003 09:01 PM

Re: PC for watching DVD's

"Henry Falkner" <hfalkner@internet.co.nz> wrote in message
<snip>

> I have DVDs that will not play on my Toshiba Satellite 750DVD, and others
> that will not play on Philips DVD 955. Have not tested everything on this
> Toshiba Satellite A10. The only DVD I tried has a special function
> substituted for what would be the 'menu' button on a remote control. That

is
> a bit hit and miss.
>
> I suggest he try the type of DVD he intends to play on the intended
> purchase, since there are hardware and firmware issues. The Satellite

750DVD
> has a software DVD implementation that cannot be upgraded. Toshiba do not
> provide an upgrade, neither will the supplier of the DVD playing software
> 'because each version is specific to the hardware and operating system'.
>
> Henry

thanks for the warning Henry