Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Micro outage on Paradise ADSL ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567176-micro-outage-on-paradise-adsl.html)

Chris Mayhew 08-21-2003 11:39 PM

Micro outage on Paradise ADSL ?
 
OK, just had one of these outages again on my Paradise Jetstart account
connecting via a Dynalink RTA020 Router. Just sorting out some facts to
figure the likely cause. So .....

All the lights on the Router show it is working normally then all of a
sudden there is no data flow. Can ping Router from PC so not my little LAN
at fault. While trying to use the browser I get time out errors - same
with news and email. Wait 5 mins, still nothing so reboot Router and all
is working fine again, same IP as well (so I assume mine wasn't transfered
to someone elses use). Talked to friend in same building who has ADSL with
Xtra and theres is working fine (so I assume it's not the local exchange)

This only leaves Paradise, right ?, as sugested in a previous thread. So
can I assume it is the authentication server given that news and email
times out as well ? - dispite the fact that email can time out by it's self
while browsing is not causing problems.

TIA
--
Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

Chris Mayhew 08-21-2003 11:55 PM

Re: Micro outage on Paradise ADSL ?
 
Chris Mayhew <me@there.com> wrote in
news:NKc1b.13050$9f7.1532140@news02.tsnz.net:

> OK, just had one of these outages again on my Paradise Jetstart
> account connecting via a Dynalink RTA020 Router. Just sorting out
> some facts to figure the likely cause. So .....
>



Interesting, just had another one that lasted 16 mins but rebooting the
Router didn't have any effect this time round - it just came back in it's
own time.

--
Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

-{-astrae-}- 08-21-2003 11:55 PM

Re: Micro outage on Paradise ADSL ?
 
Just had the same thing there. Everything is connected and looks fine. No
data transfer at all


"Chris Mayhew" <me@there.com> wrote in message
news:NKc1b.13050$9f7.1532140@news02.tsnz.net...
> OK, just had one of these outages again on my Paradise Jetstart account
> connecting via a Dynalink RTA020 Router. Just sorting out some facts to
> figure the likely cause. So .....
>
> All the lights on the Router show it is working normally then all of a
> sudden there is no data flow. Can ping Router from PC so not my little

LAN
> at fault. While trying to use the browser I get time out errors - same
> with news and email. Wait 5 mins, still nothing so reboot Router and all
> is working fine again, same IP as well (so I assume mine wasn't transfered
> to someone elses use). Talked to friend in same building who has ADSL

with
> Xtra and theres is working fine (so I assume it's not the local exchange)
>
> This only leaves Paradise, right ?, as sugested in a previous thread. So
> can I assume it is the authentication server given that news and email
> times out as well ? - dispite the fact that email can time out by it's

self
> while browsing is not causing problems.
>
> TIA
> --
> Chris Mayhew using Xnews !




Rider 08-22-2003 01:54 AM

Re: Micro outage on Paradise ADSL ?
 

"Chris Mayhew" <me@there.com> wrote in message
news:NKc1b.13050$9f7.1532140@news02.tsnz.net...
> OK, just had one of these outages again on my Paradise Jetstart account
> connecting via a Dynalink RTA020 Router. Just sorting out some facts to
> figure the likely cause. So .....
>
> All the lights on the Router show it is working normally then all of a
> sudden there is no data flow. Can ping Router from PC so not my little

LAN
> at fault. While trying to use the browser I get time out errors - same
> with news and email. Wait 5 mins, still nothing so reboot Router and all
> is working fine again, same IP as well (so I assume mine wasn't transfered
> to someone elses use). Talked to friend in same building who has ADSL

with
> Xtra and theres is working fine (so I assume it's not the local exchange)
>
> This only leaves Paradise, right ?, as sugested in a previous thread. So
> can I assume it is the authentication server given that news and email
> times out as well ? - dispite the fact that email can time out by it's

self
> while browsing is not causing problems.
>
> TIA
> --
> Chris Mayhew using Xnews !


This is quite common for the RTA020. It seems to go to sleep occasionally.
Mine does it, a friend of mine has one and his does it and one of my
customers does it also. Doing a reboot on the router corrects it. Sucks.

Rider




Rider 08-22-2003 01:59 AM

Re: Micro outage on Paradise ADSL ?
 

"Chris Mayhew" <me@there.com> wrote in message
news:NKc1b.13050$9f7.1532140@news02.tsnz.net...
> OK, just had one of these outages again on my Paradise Jetstart account
> connecting via a Dynalink RTA020 Router. Just sorting out some facts to
> figure the likely cause. So .....
>
> All the lights on the Router show it is working normally then all of a
> sudden there is no data flow. Can ping Router from PC so not my little

LAN
> at fault. While trying to use the browser I get time out errors - same
> with news and email. Wait 5 mins, still nothing so reboot Router and all
> is working fine again, same IP as well (so I assume mine wasn't transfered
> to someone elses use). Talked to friend in same building who has ADSL

with
> Xtra and theres is working fine (so I assume it's not the local exchange)
>
> This only leaves Paradise, right ?, as sugested in a previous thread. So
> can I assume it is the authentication server given that news and email
> times out as well ? - dispite the fact that email can time out by it's

self
> while browsing is not causing problems.
>
> TIA
> --
> Chris Mayhew using Xnews !



Some people have found that firmware upgrades have helped stabilise the
router, but not all people. Try a firmware upgrade.

Rider




Rider 08-22-2003 02:38 AM

Re: Micro outage on Paradise ADSL ?
 
>
> Have done that (got the latest some time ago which was ment to be the
> final shipping version), but I did wonder if the Router could "go to

sleep"
> so thanks for your reply. I guess what would be good is a Router that
> could test the connection it's self and reboot or reconnect it's self but
> if what you say is correct then it's more a *fault* of the Router rather
> than anything else, not with standing a fault at the ISP which seems more
> likely the problem for me now that I know that the Router can logg back on
> on it's own once the ISP becomes "available" again and the fact that it
> *appears* to affect Paradise but not Xtra.
> --
> Chris Mayhew using Xnews !


If yours logs back on after a time then youre probbaly right about it being
an ISP thing. My customers whose router goes to sleep is with Xtra. They
have to reboot it also. Its damn annoying as it generally happens when you
really need to get something off the net LOL



Col^ 08-22-2003 02:49 AM

Re: Micro outage on Paradise ADSL ?
 
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:59:49 +1200, "Rider"
<the_rider_GOAWAYSPAMMER@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
>"Chris Mayhew" <me@there.com> wrote in message
>news:NKc1b.13050$9f7.1532140@news02.tsnz.net...
>> OK, just had one of these outages again on my Paradise Jetstart account
>> connecting via a Dynalink RTA020 Router. Just sorting out some facts to
>> figure the likely cause. So .....
>>
>> All the lights on the Router show it is working normally then all of a
>> sudden there is no data flow. Can ping Router from PC so not my little

>LAN
>> at fault. While trying to use the browser I get time out errors - same
>> with news and email. Wait 5 mins, still nothing so reboot Router and all
>> is working fine again, same IP as well (so I assume mine wasn't transfered
>> to someone elses use). Talked to friend in same building who has ADSL

>with
>> Xtra and theres is working fine (so I assume it's not the local exchange)
>>
>> This only leaves Paradise, right ?, as sugested in a previous thread. So
>> can I assume it is the authentication server given that news and email
>> times out as well ? - dispite the fact that email can time out by it's

>self
>> while browsing is not causing problems.
>>
>> TIA
>> --
>> Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

>
>
>Some people have found that firmware upgrades have helped stabilise the
>router, but not all people. Try a firmware upgrade.
>
>Rider
>
>

It is a problem for many users regardless of the router /modem they use .

--

Col

Col's law.
Thinly sliced cabbage..


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.