Velocity Reviews

-   -   mod_auth_pam / Apache2 / RH8 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567163-mod_auth_pam-apache2-rh8.html)

Adam Cameron 08-21-2003 02:23 AM

mod_auth_pam / Apache2 / RH8

G'day.
Has anyone here attempted to and succeeded in installing mod_auth_pam
on RH8 running Apache2 (2.0.47)?

I'm having 48 different sorts of trouble getting it to go. Well
actually just the one problem: it don't work ;-)

If anyone could offer their brains up for me to pick, that'd be
excellent.

I am distinctly a Linux newbie, so I'm hoping I'm just being daft.

Adam
(full details can be read on linux.redhat.pam)

Antoine Arnauld 08-21-2003 02:46 AM

Re: mod_auth_pam / Apache2 / RH8

You may want to join the NZLUG mail list at www.linux.net.nz

The traffic is fairly high - up to 100 notes / day - but that's also going
to see you stand a chance of getting an answer. :-)

I just filter them off into an NZLUG folder on receipt and scan the subjects
for things of interest.

Adam Cameron 08-21-2003 03:12 AM

Re: mod_auth_pam / Apache2 / RH8

>You may want to join the NZLUG mail list at www.linux.net.nz

Cheers. Will look into it.

Adam

AD. 08-21-2003 07:21 AM

Re: mod_auth_pam / Apache2 / RH8

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:23:07 +1200, Adam Cameron wrote:

> G'day.
> Has anyone here attempted to and succeeded in installing mod_auth_pam on
> RH8 running Apache2 (2.0.47)?
>
> I'm having 48 different sorts of trouble getting it to go. Well
> actually just the one problem: it don't work ;-)

I know your pain, and the fault isn't entirely Redhats IMO (they aren't
blameless though).

Redhat 8 and 9 come with Apache 2.0.40 plus a few backported security
patches - have you manually upgraded to 2.0.47 or are you really still at
2.0.40? The problem is that Apache changed it's binary module interface
around 2.0.43.

I can understand why Redhat didn't upgrade past 2.0.40 in RH8, but why did
they continue to stick with that old version in RH9?!?

Upgrading Apache on Redhat to a later version can be a frustrating
circular web of dependencies, unless you happen to stumble on a 3rd party
rpm that suits your system. I'm trying to get mod_jk2 (needs 2.0.43 or
later) and mod_ssl working on the same Apache to test and document
something for our customers.

I suspect I'd have to bite the bullet and build from source. I got too
frustrated with Redhat, and used it as an excuse to sneakily play with
Gentoo 1.4. I'll come back to Redhat later after some Gentoo/Debian
relaxation :)

Normally I'd just use Debian, but the fact that Apache2 isn't officially
in Woody was enough of excuse to try Gentoo 1.4.

Sorry I wasn't much help. I suspect your choices are: 1) build Apache
yourself 2) try to find the one true Apache rpm 3) try another distro.

Hopefully someone else has a better suggestion :)

Cheers
Anton

Adam Cameron 08-21-2003 09:13 AM

Re: mod_auth_pam / Apache2 / RH8

>I know your pain, and the fault isn't entirely Redhats IMO (they aren't
>blameless though).

I wasn't pointing any fingers, except - perhaps - at myself for not
knowing what I'm doing!

>Redhat 8 and 9 come with Apache 2.0.40 plus a few backported security

I didn't install Apache when I installed RH (ie: I *actively*
deselected it from install), I installed it separately afterwards.

>patches - have you manually upgraded to 2.0.47 or are you really still at
>2.0.40?

Actually the reason I made sure *not* to install Apache when I did the
box install was that I've never worked out how to *upgrade* Apache.
As you say, even following the instructions as closely as I could, it
still had some of the 2.0.40 core there. I just assumed I had
buggered something up. So our build doc says "deselect Apache and
install the most recent version separately".

>I suspect I'd have to bite the bullet and build from source. I got too

I didn't know there was any other way, with Apache? I've never found
an RPM install for it (haven't looked that hard, I have to admit ;-)

>Sorry I wasn't much help. I suspect your choices are: 1) build Apache
>yourself

Done it

>2) try to find the one true Apache rpm

Surely compiling from scratch is better than doing this?

>3) try another distro.

Not an option, I'm afraid. This is for a ColdFusion server, and
Macromedia only support Redhat. It'll *work* on other distros, but we
need to have the support available (MM's answer to people running on
other distros is "we don't support that, yer on your own).

>Hopefully someone else has a better suggestion :)

Not so far. But thanks for your reply, anyhow! (it was interesting
to read your insight).

Adam