Velocity Reviews

-   -   MS Windows Total Cost of Ownership (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t567056-ms-windows-total-cost-of-ownership.html)

Henry Sidgwick 08-14-2003 11:29 PM

MS Windows Total Cost of Ownership

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,60019,00.html

Security experts say patches often stay on "to do" lists until outbreaks
occur.

"You're looking at 70 new vulnerabilities every week," said Sharon Ruckman,
senior director at the research lab for antivirus vendor Symantec. "It's
more than a full-time job trying to make sure you are up-to-date."

Microsoft spokesman Sean Sundwall acknowledged that the blame does not
really lie with customers.

"Ultimately, it's a flaw in our software," he said.

Brett Roberts 08-15-2003 03:08 AM

Re: MS Windows Total Cost of Ownership

"Henry Sidgwick" <sidgwick@threeprinciples.org> wrote in message

> http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,60019,00.html

> Security experts say patches often stay on "to do" lists until outbreaks
> occur.
>
> "You're looking at 70 new vulnerabilities every week," said Sharon

Ruckman,
> senior director at the research lab for antivirus vendor Symantec. "It's
> more than a full-time job trying to make sure you are up-to-date."
>
> Microsoft spokesman Sean Sundwall acknowledged that the blame does not
> really lie with customers.
>
> "Ultimately, it's a flaw in our software," he said.

the "70 new vulnerabilities every week" is an interesting stat. I had a
quick check of www.cert.org and they had a total of 138 listed for all of
2003 across all software vendors products and open source projects. That's
more like 4 per week. FWIW, 21 of the 138 were Microsoft vulnerabilities.
Maybe she's including all new viruses variants etc

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ

Jacob Boehme 08-15-2003 04:55 AM

Brett Roberts allegedly said:

> the "70 new vulnerabilities every week" is an interesting stat. I had a
> quick check of www.cert.org and they had a total of 138 listed for all of
> 2003 across all software vendors products and open source projects. That's
> more like 4 per week. FWIW, 21 of the 138 were Microsoft vulnerabilities.
> Maybe she's including all new viruses variants etc
>
> Brett Roberts
> Microsoft NZ

It sounded like a big number......That would be 3,640 vulnerabilies / annum.

Perhaps she was also including application software (ActiveX, MS Office
apps, Outlook).