Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: What is M$oft up to with security updates ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t566976-re-what-is-m-oft-up-to-with-security-updates.html)

Robert Mathews 08-11-2003 04:50 AM

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:14:17 GMT, a@b.com (Patrick FitzGerald) wrote:

> Every day this month the automartic update system of XP has nagged
>me to install a patch.
>

>Here is the install log
>
>************************************************* ***************************************
>Successful Monday, 11 August 2003 Security Update for Microsoft
>Windows (819696) Automatic update
>Successful Sunday, 10 August 2003 Security Update for Microsoft
>Windows (819696) Automatic update
>Successful Saturday, 9 August 2003 Security Update for Microsoft
>Windows (819696) Automatic update
>Successful Thursday, 7 August 2003 Security Update for Microsoft
>Windows (819696) Automatic update
>Successful Wednesday, 6 August 2003 Security Update for Microsoft
>Windows (819696) Automatic update
>Successful Tuesday, 5 August 2003 Security Update for Microsoft
>Windows (819696) Automatic update
>Successful Monday, 4 August 2003 Security Update for Microsoft
> Windows (819696) Automatic update
>Successful Sunday, 3 August 2003 Security Update for Microsoft
> Windows (819696) Automatic update
>Successful Saturday, 2 August 2003 Security Update for Microsoft
>Windows (819696) Automatic update
>Successful Friday, 1 August 2003 Security Update for Microsoft
>Windows (819696) Automatic update
>************************************************* ************************************
>
>In each case the patch number is the same - 819696
>
>What the bloody hell are the people at Micro$oft up to ?
>

>Patrick

Why not just read up on it..

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Patrick FitzGerald 08-11-2003 06:46 PM

Re: What is M$oft up to with security updates ?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:50:45 +1200, Robert Mathews
<r.math@nopost.com> wrote:

>Why not just read up on it..

I have there is no information from Micro$oft as to why they want to
install the same update eleven days in a row.

I guess I will have to ring the man who thinks he can factor large
primes - Bill Gates

Patrick

Robert Mathews 08-11-2003 10:45 PM

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:46:48 GMT, a@b.com (Patrick FitzGerald) wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:50:45 +1200, Robert Mathews
><r.math@nopost.com> wrote:
>

>>Why not just read up on it..
>>

>I have there is no information from Micro$oft as to why they want to
>install the same update eleven days in a row.
>
>I guess I will have to ring the man who thinks he can factor large
>primes - Bill Gates
>

>Patrick

Its a multi part update..

Nathan Mercer 08-12-2003 10:02 AM

"Patrick FitzGerald" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:50:45 +1200, Robert Mathews
> <r.math@nopost.com> wrote:
>

> >Why not just read up on it..
> >

> I have there is no information from Micro$oft as to why they want to
> install the same update eleven days in a row.

They don't want to, your PC wants to. The Automatic Update catalog or
database sounds like its corrupt. Anything weird happen to the file system
or i/o in your machine 11 days ago?

I'd recommend doing a search on troubleshooting Automatic Update or Windows
Update on http://support.microsoft.com or contact Microsoft support
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];CNTACTMS you can call
or submit an incident on the web. Incidents like this affecting security
updates should be no charge.

> I guess I will have to ring the man who thinks he can factor large
> primes - Bill Gates

+1 425 882-8080
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/info/contact.asp

:-)