Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: What is M$oft up to with security updates ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t566974-re-what-is-m-oft-up-to-with-security-updates.html)

Patrick FitzGerald 08-11-2003 03:37 AM

Re: What is M$oft up to with security updates ?

Perhaps I have not made myself clear.

What I am wondering is why micro$oft should nag me to install the
same numbered patch everyday this month.

In each case the Installation was successful

Beats me

Patrick

Nicholas Sherlock 08-11-2003 03:53 AM

"Patrick FitzGerald" <a@b.com> wrote in message

> Perhaps I have not made myself clear.
>
> What I am wondering is why micro$oft should nag me to install the
> same numbered patch everyday this month.
>
> In each case the Installation was successful
>
> Beats me

It means that the installation was not successful, even if the tiny brain of
the installer program thinks it is. You could reinstall DirectX and try
again, or kill two birds with one stone and update to the latest version of
DirectX (If you haven't already).

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Jeremy Bentham 08-11-2003 07:49 AM

Patrick FitzGerald allegedly said:

> What diaster wlil there be if they ever gret their way with their evil
> Palladium plan designed to take away our control of or own computers

They already did that with WinXP Service Pack 1.

You authorised Microsoft to make updates to your security and digitla rights
management without any further consent required from you.

Linux......It's the way to escape from the MS operating system chain-gang.

Uncle StoatWarbler 08-11-2003 12:04 PM

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:20:25 +1200, Robert Mathews wrote:

> Lunix what boredom and NO SUPPORT, Please get a Brain.

Grow up woger.

There's support for it. You just have to pay for that.

.... instead of pirating MS ware ...

Robert Mathews 08-11-2003 12:40 PM

Re: What is M$oft up to with security updates ?

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:00:39 +1200, Jeremy Bentham
<utilitarian@moralsandprinciples.org> wrote:

>Robert Mathews allegedly said:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:49:41 +1200, Jeremy Bentham
>> <utilitarian@moralsandprinciples.org> wrote:

>>>They already did that with WinXP Service Pack 1.
>>>
>>>You authorised Microsoft to make updates to your security and digitla
>>>rights management without any further consent required from you.
>>>
>>>Linux......It's the way to escape from the MS operating system chain-gang.

>> Lunix what boredom and NO SUPPORT, Please get a Brain.

>Woger....or a facsimile thereof?
>
>Linux support is excellent. You should try it.

No it smells.

Jeremy Bentham 08-11-2003 01:00 PM

Patrick FitzGerald 08-11-2003 06:57 PM

Re: What is M$oft up to with security updates ?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:49:41 +1200, Jeremy Bentham
<utilitarian@moralsandprinciples.org> wrote:

>They already did that with WinXP Service Pack 1.

I am pleased that I never installed that Service Pack

Patrick

lily 08-11-2003 10:50 PM

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:49:41 +1200, Jeremy Bentham
> <utilitarian@moralsandprinciples.org> wrote:
>

> >They already did that with WinXP Service Pack 1.

> I am pleased that I never installed that Service Pack
>

> Patrick

That could be why your update is not installing correctly.

Jean Buridan 08-11-2003 11:39 PM

Re: What is M$oft up to with security updates ?

Patrick FitzGerald allegedly said:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:49:41 +1200, Jeremy Bentham
> <utilitarian@moralsandprinciples.org> wrote:
>

>>They already did that with WinXP Service Pack 1.

> I am pleased that I never installed that Service Pack
>
> Patrick

Then you may find that you can no longer update your windows system as this
service pack is likely to be pre-req for much that comes after.

This is my problem with Microsoft....if you dont' accept the changes they
mandate - whatever they are - you've just "orphaned" your system.

Patrick FitzGerald 08-12-2003 12:02 AM

Re: What is M$oft up to with security updates ?

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:39:45 +1200, Jean Buridan
<compendiumlogicae@summadedialectica.org> wrote:

>Then you may find that you can no longer update your windows system as this
>service pack is likely to be pre-req for much that comes after.

Not so all the other updates that came out after the service pack
have been installed no problem at all

Patrick