Velocity Reviews

-   -   XP and hardware (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t566921-xp-and-hardware.html)

John Hornblow 08-07-2003 08:18 PM

XP and hardware

Ive purchased a copy of XP pro and was wondering how it handled
changes in hardware.
With win98 I could drop in a new board and processor and it would
handle it well, just updating its drivers etc and a few reboots.
Is XP as flexable in this area?
Has anyone upgraded the board & CPU in their machine running XP.
I was wondering if I should bring my upgrade forward before upgrading
to XP

Cheers

John

cowboyz 08-07-2003 08:49 PM

Re: XP and hardware

"John Hornblow" <john@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> Ive purchased a copy of XP pro and was wondering how it handled
> changes in hardware.
> With win98 I could drop in a new board and processor and it would
> handle it well, just updating its drivers etc and a few reboots.
> Is XP as flexable in this area?
> Has anyone upgraded the board & CPU in their machine running XP.
> I was wondering if I should bring my upgrade forward before upgrading
> to XP
>
> Cheers
>
> John

I changed board from a KT333 to a KT400 (not a big change) and video card
from G2 to G4 (again not a big change) and CPU from AMD 1700 to AMD2100
(another not big change) and it was all good about detecting new hardware
and resetting the appropriate drivers to what they should be. No reboots
required.

However, I wondered about this so I took my hard drive and plugged it into a
P4 on a intel 850G board and it blue screened on startup. Put the hard
drive back in my machine and all was good.

Just my experience. take what you want from it.

--
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

colinco 08-07-2003 09:12 PM

Re: XP and hardware

In article <3f32b31c.972832@news.wlg.ihug.co.nz>, John Hornblow wrote...
> Ive purchased a copy of XP pro and was wondering how it handled
> changes in hardware.

Did you buy oem xp pro or full copy?

Nathan Mercer 08-07-2003 10:40 PM

Re: XP and hardware

"cowboyz" <cowboyz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> I changed board from a KT333 to a KT400 (not a big change) and video card
> from G2 to G4 (again not a big change) and CPU from AMD 1700 to AMD2100
> (another not big change) and it was all good about detecting new hardware
> and resetting the appropriate drivers to what they should be. No reboots
> required.
>
> However, I wondered about this so I took my hard drive and plugged it into

> P4 on a intel 850G board and it blue screened on startup. Put the hard
> drive back in my machine and all was good.

One trick you could've used is done run Windows setup again on your original
machine, and upgrade overtop of your existing installation. When machine
reboots, turn off. Take out HDD and put in new machine and be up and
running with the same config pretty quickily

cowboyz 08-09-2003 02:42 AM

Re: XP and hardware

"Vogan" <vogan69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <SNIP>
>
> > However, I wondered about this so I took my hard drive and plugged it

into
> > P4 on a intel 850G board and it blue screened on startup. Put the hard
> > drive back in my machine and all was good.
> >
> > Just my experience. take what you want from it.
> >
> > --
> > "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
> >

> It probably blue-screened due the the massive change in hardware - going
> from an AMD based system to an Intel based system, all the drivers would
> have been totally wrong. A fairer test would have been to swap it into
> another AMD system running the same hardware.
>
> Cheers
> Vaughan

The bit you snipped out showed it worked fine cahnging from a KT333 board to
a KT400 board with other changes to CPU and Video.

--
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

John Hornblow 08-09-2003 05:27 AM

Re: XP and hardware

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 14:42:58 +1200, "cowboyz" <cowboyz@ihug.co.nz>
wrote:

>The bit you snipped out showed it worked fine cahnging from a KT333 board to
>a KT400 board with other changes to CPU and Video.
>
>--
>"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

Cheers guys, just wanted to check befoer the install, Id head some
thing in the early days you couldnt change H/W without a new key or
some such...

Peter Huebner 08-09-2003 08:57 AM

Re: XP and hardware

In article <3f348619.330617@news.wlg.ihug.co.nz>, john@paradise.net.nz
says...
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 14:42:58 +1200, "cowboyz" <cowboyz@ihug.co.nz>
> wrote:
>

> >The bit you snipped out showed it worked fine cahnging from a KT333 board to
> >a KT400 board with other changes to CPU and Video.
> >
> >--
> >"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
> >

> Cheers guys, just wanted to check befoer the install, Id head some
> thing in the early days you couldnt change H/W without a new key or
> some such...

Yes, if you change too much you may have to go through the activation
process again. There is a program you can use if you don't want to do
that ... ;-)

-P.

Nathan Mercer 08-09-2003 09:05 AM

Re: XP and hardware

"Peter Huebner" <peterh@this-bounces.igrin.co.nz> wrote in message
news:MPG.199f7eb79b6f337e9897fb@news.nzl.ihugultra .co.nz...
> > >The bit you snipped out showed it worked fine cahnging from a KT333

board to
> > >a KT400 board with other changes to CPU and Video.
> > >
> > >--
> > >"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
> > >

> > Cheers guys, just wanted to check befoer the install, Id head some
> > thing in the early days you couldnt change H/W without a new key or
> > some such...

> Yes, if you change too much you may have to go through the activation

You're allowed to change heaps of hardware before activation kicks in, and
if it does kick in most times you can just do it automatically over the net.

> process again. There is a program you can use if you don't want to do
> that ... ;-)

Cool, where do I find it please?

Peter Huebner 08-10-2003 01:17 AM

Re: XP and hardware

In article <4Q2Za.110568$JA5.2474506@news.xtra.co.nz>,
nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz says...

> "Peter Huebner" <peterh@this-bounces.igrin.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:MPG.199f7eb79b6f337e9897fb@news.nzl.ihugultra .co.nz...
>
> Cool, where do I find it please?

It's hard to find. Keywords are "Sad Team" and "Blue List"
the archive contains a program that will activate XP in safe mode
(authored by 'sad team', a bunch of Russians), and a key generator
(authored by 'blue list') which might come in useful if you have fallen
foul of MS having killed a valid key in the SP if it's been used
illegally - which is known to have happened. Unless, of course, you want
to enter into annoying and aggravating negotiations with MS.

[aside rant:
Which I for one don't want to, ever again: I remember only too well when
I bought an upgrade version of one of Win98, it stuffed up interrupts on
the machine I was working on, I rang them and was told I would get no
tech support over the telephone until I had registered by mail (email
wasn't working on the fecking machine for said reasons) so I would have
to wait a week before they would even talk to me ... huh!]

The archive is around 760 Kb. I recently spotted it on the Kazaa network
after I replied to the original post in this thread.

Mythology has it that Sad Team approcached MS with their exploit even
before XP was publically relased in the final version and were studiously
ignored - hence they published it. Maybe yes, maybe no ...
I have also read on a forum somewhere that it no longer works after SP 1
has been installed, or that SP 1 won't work with it. YMMV.

cheers, -Peter

colinco 08-10-2003 08:25 PM

Re: XP and hardware

In article <MPG.19a064735271ef519897fc@news.nzl.ihugultra.co. nz>, Peter
Huebner wrote...
> Unless, of course, you want
> to enter into annoying and aggravating negotiations with MS.
>
> [aside rant:
> Which I for one don't want to, ever again:

You do realise that you are coming very close to dealing with MS when you
deal with Nathan.