Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: hacked..? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t566794-re-hacked.html)

Herman Melville 07-30-2003 11:17 AM

Re: hacked..?

Paul Gunson allegedly said:

> every time i connect to the net [ihug] after about 30 secs the
> connection sends and receives continuously, even though there is no
> browser activity... ie without me actually doing anything online... it
> receives at about 4KB/sec, 56K modem speed.... win2K SP4 has
> auto-updates disabled... i have not installed any new software recently.
> AV software is AVG, also with auto-updates disabled.
>
> htf can i find out what is going on....?

open a command prompt and do a 'netstat -r'

What IP addreses and connections do you see?

What do they belong to? Try a traceroute to them and try looking ones you
are doubtful up on the relevant NIC (APNIC, ARIN, RIPE - whatever)

Paul Gunson 07-30-2003 10:03 PM

Re: hacked..?

also i am using windows encryption (cipher command) on some directories,
docs etc - how effective is that really against a potential hacker...?