Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Addition of ".home" to the range of sub-domains available in NZ (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t566734-re-addition-of-home-to-the-range-of-sub-domains-available-in-nz.html)

Rupert 07-27-2003 05:11 AM

Re: Addition of ".home" to the range of sub-domains available in NZ

why on earth do we even ned sub domains, country suffixes and the like?

a DNS table is basically a list of IP addresses and a text string that we
use as a 'friendly name' thats easier to remember.

why can't we just have something like ruperts-fantastic-website as a domain
name rather than having to suffix all the .co.nz or similar stuff

while i can see that using the suffixes allows for an increase of names -
ruperts-fantastic-website.com, ruperts-fantastic-website.co.nz etc there
should still be plenty of scope for variety

imho .com .net .co.nz etc are rather anachronistic these days and should be
dropped, or if nothing else there should be no constraints on any one
choosing what they want

Enkidu 07-27-2003 07:53 AM

Re: Addition of ".home" to the range of sub-domains available in NZ

Well, basically, so that we can break up the names into a hierarchy.
The root nameservers in the States have an entry for nz. This entry
points to the .nz nameservers (strangely enough). These nameservers
contain all names at that level, eg .co.nz, .org.nz and so on. These
entries point at the nameservers which are authoratative for the next
level, eg paradise.net.nz, actix.co.nz, xtra.co.nz. Each these servers
contains all the domain information for their own Domains.

Say you allow ruperts-fantastic-website.nz. This would have the
following effect. The .nz nameservers would have to have entries for
that Domain, and this would vastly increase the load on the Name
Servers. Having an intermediate level reduces the load on the .nz name
servers, sharing it out to the .org.nz, .co.nz and other servers. Also
shared out is the maintenance and paperwork. With only one level all
adds, changes and deletes of Domain Names would have to go through the
..nz nameservers. (Not including the trivial changes like changing IPs
and other records).

Cheers,

Cliff

Steve 07-27-2003 10:22 PM

Rupert allegedly said:

> why on earth do we even ned sub domains, country suffixes and the like?

It speeds processing. A nice, tidy hierarchy will allow for faster DNS
service.

I vote function over form every time. Domain names are easier to remember
than IP numbers....but having done that, keeping domain names 'regular'
speeds processing and makes it easier to decipher messy handwriting and
typos. :-)

--
Steve

Enkidu 07-28-2003 08:23 AM

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:22:54 +1200, Steve <steve@nospam4me.org> wrote:

>Rupert allegedly said:
>
>> why on earth do we even ned sub domains, country suffixes and the like?

>It speeds processing. A nice, tidy hierarchy will allow for faster DNS
>service.
>
>I vote function over form every time. Domain names are easier to remember
>than IP numbers....but having done that, keeping domain names 'regular'
>speeds processing and makes it easier to decipher messy handwriting and
>typos. :-)

Ooh! A disciple of the Bauhaus movement no less....

Cheers,

Cliff