Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: ASUS AAM6000EV Router, NAT. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t566492-re-asus-aam6000ev-router-nat.html)

-{-astrae-}- 07-10-2003 04:47 AM

Re: ASUS AAM6000EV Router, NAT.

Now I look at it basic UPS's arent as expensive as I thought they were.

How much backup time would I expect from a basic 500VA UPS?

astrae

"-{-astrae-}-" <astrae@REMOVEastrae.co.nz> wrote in message
> I'm not losing power very often, just normal power cuts etc..
>
> We had some bad weather on the weekend and the power went off 3 times. (I
> ended up shutting everything down) This reminded me to look into sorting
> out this problem.
>
> I've looked at getting a UPS but the wallet cant handle it at the moment.
>
> Now that everything is sweet and I dont have to touch it if things do

reset,
> I can live with it. The server doesnt really get enough use to justify

the

Uncle StoatWarbler 07-10-2003 02:02 PM

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:13:31 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

> The most budget UPS from DSE ($200 - 400VA) says that it will deliver at
> full load for about 5 minutes in a complete power outage. I guess full load
> is about 1.7 amps.

A single computer with no monitor isn't anywhere near full load,
especially if it's running linuix/bsd as the cpu idles when there's no
processing going on, which drops power cosumption even further.

Expect 25-40 minutes on a fresh battery

Steven H 07-11-2003 12:42 AM

Re: ASUS AAM6000EV Router, NAT.

In article <pan.2003.07.10.14.02.34.406553@digistar.com>, alanb+google4
@digistar.com says...

> A single computer with no monitor isn't anywhere near full load,
> especially if it's running linuix/bsd as the cpu idles when there's no
> processing going on, which drops power cosumption even further.

so your saying NT doesnt?

Steven H

Uncle StoatWarbler 07-13-2003 02:52 AM

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:42:11 +1200, Steven H wrote:

> In article <pan.2003.07.10.14.02.34.406553@digistar.com>, alanb+google4
> @digistar.com says...
>
>> A single computer with no monitor isn't anywhere near full load,
>> especially if it's running linuix/bsd as the cpu idles when there's no
>> processing going on, which drops power cosumption even further.

> so your saying NT doesnt?

I think w2k may do, but it isn't in there by default.

Earlier versions definitely don't.

An idling linux computer can be operated with no fan on the heatsink and
suffer no ill effects. With one of my original 486dx2/66 servers it was
amazing how much difference there was between idling (heatsink cool to
touch) vs flat out compiling (burned fingers)..