Velocity Reviews

-   -   ADSL usage Problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t566472-adsl-usage-problem.html)

karl 07-09-2003 07:50 AM

ADSL usage Problem

Hi there,

Problem: A network of roughly 10 Mac's all connected through two hubs
including one Nokia M1122 ADSL router.

Someone has downloaded a huge amount of software and racked up a huge bill
on the account.

I want to set up something to control this. What do people recommend?

Would ultimately like it so that one computer has full access to the
internet and every other computer has only email access. But with some
feature that the user on the one computer with full access could allow
another user on another computer internet access for a specified amount of
time.

Might consider getting a PC computer to act as a proxy server / gateway.
Does anyone have any practical ideas? This is for a small business on a
JetStreme600 plan.

Also what is the default login & password for the Nokia M1122? Is there a
web interface? Or do I have to access it through telnet? It was sold by
Telecom.

Thanks

Karl

karl 07-09-2003 09:18 AM

Re: ADSL usage Problem

Sorry about the large gaps between the paragraphs.

I wonder if I can do port blocking or port redirecting to a fake IP? What
does the Nokia M1122 support?

Mark. 07-09-2003 09:26 AM

Re: ADSL usage Problem

Karl- are the Macs using OS X or Mac OS 9?

I'm sure there are various OS X utilities now available to do this sort
of thing. Checking http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/index.shtml would be a good place to start, and then after that
try www.macosxhints.com

I would imagine that the Nokia router has fairly limited features to
control port blocking to certain IP addresses on the LAN, so your next
bet would be to see what features the other router on the LAN has.

I think the M1122 may have a web interface, but I'm not sure. I have
lower-end i500 which can only be accessed by telnet.

M.

karl 07-09-2003 09:30 AM

Re: ADSL usage Problem

"Mark." <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> Karl- are the Macs using OS X or Mac OS 9?

One has MacOs X

> I'm sure there are various OS X utilities now available to do this sort
> of thing. Checking http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/index.shtml would

be a good place to start, and then after that
> try www.macosxhints.com

Thanks, I might check it out

> I would imagine that the Nokia router has fairly limited features to
> control port blocking to certain IP addresses on the LAN, so your next
> bet would be to see what features the other router on the LAN has.

Only one router, the other 'hub' is just a dse 5port hub.

> I think the M1122 may have a web interface, but I'm not sure. I have
> lower-end i500 which can only be accessed by telnet.

Yeh I think so, I am gona have a look at it tomorrow. Dont have any PC's
there to tellnet into it

Mark. 07-09-2003 10:50 AM

Re: ADSL usage Problem

There are telnet programs available on both Mac OS 9 and OS X. (OS X has
telnet built in I believe)

karl 07-09-2003 11:32 AM

Re: ADSL usage Problem

"Richard Malcolm-Smith" <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> And after upgrading my nokia to a later software it now appears to be able

> block by port... mmmm kazza gone...

Sweet, thanks. What are common ports to block to prevent p2p?

Richard Malcolm-Smith 07-09-2003 11:01 PM

Re: ADSL usage Problem

karl wrote:

> "Richard Malcolm-Smith" <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>
>>And after upgrading my nokia to a later software it now appears to be able

>>block by port... mmmm kazza gone...

> Sweet, thanks. What are common ports to block to prevent p2p?

1189 is what kazaa listens on. there are heaps of others hto. It will alledgidly
tunnel via HTTP if needed, but I havent seen that happen.

It can also prioritise traffic based on port (So it appears) - I have tried
putting RDP ahead of everything else to try to get smoother remote desktop
sessions, but I dont know if it really has made any difference.

Allistar 07-09-2003 11:47 PM

Re: ADSL usage Problem

karl wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> Problem: A network of roughly 10 Mac's all connected through two hubs
> including one Nokia M1122 ADSL router.
>
> Someone has downloaded a huge amount of software and racked up a huge bill
> on the account.
>

> I want to set up something to control this. What do people recommend?
>

> Would ultimately like it so that one computer has full access to the
> internet and every other computer has only email access. But with some
> feature that the user on the one computer with full access could allow
> another user on another computer internet access for a specified amount of
> time.
>

> Might consider getting a PC computer to act as a proxy server / gateway.
> Does anyone have any practical ideas? This is for a small business on a
> JetStreme600 plan.
>

> Also what is the default login & password for the Nokia M1122? Is there a
> web interface? Or do I have to access it through telnet? It was sold by
> Telecom.
>

> Thanks
>
> Karl

You could use a Linux box between the network and the router and do port
based blocking there. This will also allow you to block certain ports from
certain workstations, leaving your to access them all (if that's what you
want). You could alternatively leave all ports open but deverly rate limit
certain ports. NetBSD could help do rate shaping.

Allistar.

Matthew G Brown 07-10-2003 09:12 AM

Re: ADSL usage Problem

www.rhinosoft.com
Allegro Surf

Trans windows proxy with MAC auth & acocunting . 2x Network cards and a
static route and you got Filters,AV,Cache & Accounting . And its all ugly
windows based stuff that my Gran could use .

Actully wingate does this to ( Ucky )

karl 07-10-2003 11:22 AM

Re: ADSL usage Problem

btw a DSE download for the Nokia has the version Gx1x2220.r0x

Is this newer then the .r05