Velocity Reviews

-   -   Thunderbird Address auto complete (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t56541-thunderbird-address-auto-complete.html)

Porter Smith 03-11-2006 04:21 PM

Thunderbird Address auto complete

I'm using Thunderbird 1.07 on Windows XP Pro SP2.

When I enter a addressee it automatically searches my address book for
matching name. Works fine. But if no match is found it generates a
addressee at my ISP.

For example if I want to send a note to "Joe" but type "Jor" by mistake, it
fills in "Jor@myISP.com"

Is there a way I can shut this off? That is, if no match is found in my
address book I want it to just use what I typed in without appending myISP?

TIA

Moz Champion (Dan) 03-11-2006 05:52 PM

Re: Thunderbird Address auto complete

Porter Smith wrote:
> I'm using Thunderbird 1.07 on Windows XP Pro SP2.
>
> When I enter a addressee it automatically searches my address book for
> matching name. Works fine. But if no match is found it generates a
> addressee at my ISP.
>
> For example if I want to send a note to "Joe" but type "Jor" by mistake, it
> fills in "Jor@myISP.com"
>
> Is there a way I can shut this off? That is, if no match is found in my
> address book I want it to just use what I typed in without appending myISP?
>
> TIA

If you upgraded to Thunderbird 1.5 you wouldnt have this problem <g>
Its turned off by default in 1.5

You can turn the feature off in your version as well
about:config
filter on mail.id

scroll down the list until you see
mail.identity.default.autocompleteToMyDomain
toggle it to false

NB the extension about config assists in this regard, as it allows
direct access to the config in Thunderbird.
Without such you can do the same thing tho. Create a user.js file and
enter the following

user_pref("mail.identity.default.autocompleteToMyD omain", false);