Velocity Reviews

-   -   VERY late followup - Why batteries in Walkmans don't last for very long. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t565294-very-late-followup-why-batteries-in-walkmans-dont-last-for-very-long.html)

thanatoid 01-01-2008 05:54 AM

VERY late followup - Why batteries in Walkmans don't last for very long.

I can't remember who supplied the only knowledgeable reply to my
question (of about a year or two ago) about why Walkmans eat
batteries like they were candy, while a small Sony *radio with a
5" speaker* works for a year on its set of batteries. The answer
was, basically, "inefficiency". I didn't /quite/ buy it in spite
of the person's obvious knowledge of electronics etc.

I accidentally found the REAL reason. On this page:

http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/wm-10

In case you don't want to bother going there (very nice
nostalgia site!), the answer is they use a DC-DC voltage step-up
circuit required to run the extremely tiny and sophisticated
electronics and motors. One component of the WM-F10 required 12
volts! And it ran on ONE 1.5V AA battery (for about 5 hours).

(My question was specifically about that one, one of the {IMO}
greatest Sony inventions ever, cassette-box size, and the first
- along with the (no radio) WM-10 - to use the earbud phones.)

--
The only cure for stupidity is death.
The only cure for brilliance is death.