Velocity Reviews

-   -   Newbie finding way fitfully through thicket... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t564644-newbie-finding-way-fitfully-through-thicket.html)

Suzy 12-30-2007 12:38 AM

Newbie finding way fitfully through thicket...

Hi

I've installed a Belkin Wireless G router, connected it to my NB5 ADSL
modem. Can now use my laptop with inbuilt Atheros wireless card anywhere in
the house. When setting it up I did not connect it by Ethernet to the
laptop. When I set the WPA password, did this set it at the router end *and*
the laptop end (wirelessly)?

Also, I would like to join printer MFC 7420 to my network of one (!) I
presume I need a wireless print server and must connect this to the printer
somehow (it has no Ethernet port -- just USB). If so, does this communicate
with the wireless router or direct to the laptop? Any special settings or
is it just plug and play (WP)?

Suzy 12-30-2007 01:21 AM

Re: Newbie finding way fitfully through thicket...

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 12-30-2007 01:49 AM

Re: Newbie finding way fitfully through thicket...

Hi
Wireless printer server communicates to the Wireless Router and it is
available to all computers on the Network.
It need to be set but it is Not "Rocket Science" to set it.
Make sure that if the specific device that you buy is not compatible with
the Brother it can be returned.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Jim 12-30-2007 02:36 AM

Re: Newbie finding way fitfully through thicket...

"Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:4776e89c@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Hi
>
> I've installed a Belkin Wireless G router, connected it to my NB5 ADSL
> modem. Can now use my laptop with inbuilt Atheros wireless card anywhere
> in the house. When setting it up I did not connect it by Ethernet to the
> laptop. When I set the WPA password, did this set it at the router end
> *and* the laptop end (wirelessly)?

No. One of the more tedious tasks is getting the WPA keys to match. These
strings
are encryption keys not passwords.

> Also, I would like to join printer MFC 7420 to my network of one (!) I
> presume I need a wireless print server and must connect this to the
> printer somehow (it has no Ethernet port -- just USB). If so, does this
> communicate with the wireless router or direct to the laptop? Any special
> settings or is it just plug and play (WP)?

Jim

Barb Bowman 12-30-2007 11:01 AM

Re: Newbie finding way fitfully through thicket...

If I understand you correctly:

1. you have to set the WPA password on both the computer AND the
router

2. if you buy a wireless print server, you would also need to set
the same password used on the router and computer. your laptop will
be able to print and any future computers you add to your network
will also be able to print to it.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Suzy 12-30-2007 10:21 PM

"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:4776e89c@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>> Hi
>>
>> I've installed a Belkin Wireless G router, connected it to my NB5 ADSL
>> modem. Can now use my laptop with inbuilt Atheros wireless card anywhere
>> in the house. When setting it up I did not connect it by Ethernet to the
>> laptop. When I set the WPA password, did this set it at the router end
>> *and* the laptop end (wirelessly)?

> No. One of the more tedious tasks is getting the WPA keys to match.
> These strings
> are encryption keys not passwords.

Thanks Jim, but the network (of one) works, so how do the parts communicate
if the encryption key did not get set at both ends simultaneously?

Suzy 12-30-2007 10:22 PM

"Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> If I understand you correctly:
>
> 1. you have to set the WPA password on both the computer AND the
> router

*** But I have not connected the router by wire to the laptop, yet the
network works, so how did the password get set at both ends?

Barb Bowman 12-31-2007 12:20 AM

Re: Newbie finding way fitfully through thicket...

it sounds like you did not set encryption at all OR you are actually
connecting to someone else's unsecured wireless network.

did you set up a name for the SSID? what is the name of the network
you are connected to?

Suzy 12-31-2007 06:15 PM

> it sounds like you did not set encryption at all OR you are actually
> connecting to someone else's unsecured wireless network.
>
> did you set up a name for the SSID? what is the name of the network
> you are connected to?
>
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:22:37 +1100, "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote:
>
>>*** But I have not connected the router by wire to the laptop, yet the
>>network works, so how did the password get set at both ends?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

No, I am not connected to any other network. The network is clearly shown as
mine.

Barb Bowman 12-31-2007 08:21 PM

Re: Newbie finding way fitfully through thicket...

you need to log into your router and see how the security is setup.
Please post that information here.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP