Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wireless Networking (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f19-wireless-networking.html)
-   -   "A Network Cable is Unplugged" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5637-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.html)

Lee Miller 02-01-2005 04:12 PM

"A Network Cable is Unplugged"
 
I've read a number of posts about this notification message, but none have
quite hit my situation.

I have a desktop PC and DLS internet connection. I also have a wireless
router (D-Link DI-524) and a notebook that has wireless capability. All the
connections are working fine (i.e., no problem with internet access on
either the desktop or notebook, internet connection is unbroken, etc.) Both
computers are Windows XP Home Edition, SP-2.

I've discovered that when I turn off the notebook I start getting the
notification "Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is Unplugged". Then
within a second I get the message "Local Area Connection is Now Connected".
This happens randomly, sometimes every few seconds, sometimes not for a few
minutes or longer. As long as I leave the notebook on the message doesn't
appear.

I've tried every option I can find to turn off this notification, but
nothing works. I've unchecked the "Notify Me When This Connection has
limited or no connectivity box", I've modified the setting in services, I've
changed the power management option for the ethernet card . . . I'm stumped.

It's really just an annoyance, not a performance issue, but I really don't
need to be told by my desktop that my notebook is off every few seconds.
Any other way to approach this problem?

Lee



Tony 02-01-2005 09:43 PM

Re: "A Network Cable is Unplugged"
 
"Lee Miller" <LeeM1023@msn.com> wrote in message
news:ujKZAjHCFHA.520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I've read a number of posts about this notification message, but none have
> quite hit my situation.
>
> I have a desktop PC and DLS internet connection. I also have a wireless
> router (D-Link DI-524) and a notebook that has wireless capability. All
> the connections are working fine (i.e., no problem with internet access on
> either the desktop or notebook, internet connection is unbroken, etc.)
> Both computers are Windows XP Home Edition, SP-2.
>
> I've discovered that when I turn off the notebook I start getting the
> notification "Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is Unplugged". Then
> within a second I get the message "Local Area Connection is Now
> Connected". This happens randomly, sometimes every few seconds, sometimes
> not for a few minutes or longer. As long as I leave the notebook on the
> message doesn't appear.
>
> I've tried every option I can find to turn off this notification, but
> nothing works. I've unchecked the "Notify Me When This Connection has
> limited or no connectivity box", I've modified the setting in services,
> I've changed the power management option for the ethernet card . . . I'm
> stumped.
>
> It's really just an annoyance, not a performance issue, but I really don't
> need to be told by my desktop that my notebook is off every few seconds.
> Any other way to approach this problem?
>
> Lee

Can you confirm how you have everything connected i.e. do you have an
Ethernet modem connected to the WAN port of the router or is the modem
connected to the PC and the router used as a "wireless access point" for the
laptop?



mikeFNB 02-01-2005 11:38 PM

Re: "A Network Cable is Unplugged"
 
like you say, my problem was not like yours, but neither was it like the
described ones, but it did have the cable unplugged errror.
i followed through these sites & one of them sorted it:


http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?fr...n2k&meta=vc%3D


mike


"Lee Miller" <LeeM1023@msn.com> wrote in message
news:ujKZAjHCFHA.520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I've read a number of posts about this notification message, but none have
> quite hit my situation.
>
> I have a desktop PC and DLS internet connection. I also have a wireless
> router (D-Link DI-524) and a notebook that has wireless capability. All

the
> connections are working fine (i.e., no problem with internet access on
> either the desktop or notebook, internet connection is unbroken, etc.)

Both
> computers are Windows XP Home Edition, SP-2.
>
> I've discovered that when I turn off the notebook I start getting the
> notification "Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is Unplugged". Then
> within a second I get the message "Local Area Connection is Now

Connected".
> This happens randomly, sometimes every few seconds, sometimes not for a

few
> minutes or longer. As long as I leave the notebook on the message doesn't
> appear.
>
> I've tried every option I can find to turn off this notification, but
> nothing works. I've unchecked the "Notify Me When This Connection has
> limited or no connectivity box", I've modified the setting in services,

I've
> changed the power management option for the ethernet card . . . I'm

stumped.
>
> It's really just an annoyance, not a performance issue, but I really don't
> need to be told by my desktop that my notebook is off every few seconds.
> Any other way to approach this problem?
>
> Lee
>
>




Lee Miller 02-02-2005 01:09 AM

Re: "A Network Cable is Unplugged"
 
"Tony" <ttiger@lineone.net> wrote in message
news:ctot4l$ldb$2@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

> Can you confirm how you have everything connected i.e. do you have an
> Ethernet modem connected to the WAN port of the router or is the modem
> connected to the PC and the router used as a "wireless access point" for
> the laptop?


Sure. It's the second configuration: DSL modem is connected to D-Link
wireless router by ethernet cable, D-Link router is connected to desktop PC
by ethernet cable from the WAN port. I use the router as the wireless
access point for my laptop.

Lee



Lee Miller 02-03-2005 10:48 PM

Re: "A Network Cable is Unplugged"
 
Thought I would follow up to my own message . . .

In exploring this issue on the internet, it seems to be a high frequency
problem with a variety of causes and no simple solution . . . but it's
something that obviously drives a lot of people crazy.

I decided to take the simplest approach first, and a) updated the firmware
for my D-Link DI-524 wireless router--even though the updated firmware was
only a month newer than the shipping firmware, and b) updated the driver for
my ethernet card--after searching around for RealTek.com and finally
figuring out that it's a .tw address.

At any rate, after doing both those updates I unplugged everything,
reconfigured the router following the manufacturer's instructions for DSL
connection, re-connected everything, and--so far, anyway--the problem is
solved. Hope saying that doesn't jinx me and cause it to start again!

Lee

> I have a desktop PC and DLS internet connection. I also have a wireless
> router (D-Link DI-524) and a notebook that has wireless capability. All
> the connections are working fine (i.e., no problem with internet access on
> either the desktop or notebook, internet connection is unbroken, etc.)
> Both computers are Windows XP Home Edition, SP-2.
>
> I've discovered that when I turn off the notebook I start getting the
> notification "Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is Unplugged". Then
> within a second I get the message "Local Area Connection is Now
> Connected". This happens randomly, sometimes every few seconds, sometimes
> not for a few minutes or longer. As long as I leave the notebook on the
> message doesn't appear.
>
> I've tried every option I can find to turn off this notification, but
> nothing works. I've unchecked the "Notify Me When This Connection has
> limited or no connectivity box", I've modified the setting in services,
> I've changed the power management option for the ethernet card . . . I'm
> stumped.
>
> It's really just an annoyance, not a performance issue, but I really don't
> need to be told by my desktop that my notebook is off every few seconds.
> Any other way to approach this problem?




mikeFNB 02-03-2005 10:56 PM

Re: "A Network Cable is Unplugged"
 
well done lee

mike

"Lee Miller" <LeeM1023@msn.com> wrote in message
news:upozqJkCFHA.444@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thought I would follow up to my own message . . .
>
> In exploring this issue on the internet, it seems to be a high frequency
> problem with a variety of causes and no simple solution . . . but it's
> something that obviously drives a lot of people crazy.
>
> I decided to take the simplest approach first, and a) updated the firmware
> for my D-Link DI-524 wireless router--even though the updated firmware was
> only a month newer than the shipping firmware, and b) updated the driver

for
> my ethernet card--after searching around for RealTek.com and finally
> figuring out that it's a .tw address.
>
> At any rate, after doing both those updates I unplugged everything,
> reconfigured the router following the manufacturer's instructions for DSL
> connection, re-connected everything, and--so far, anyway--the problem is
> solved. Hope saying that doesn't jinx me and cause it to start again!
>
> Lee
>
> > I have a desktop PC and DLS internet connection. I also have a wireless
> > router (D-Link DI-524) and a notebook that has wireless capability. All
> > the connections are working fine (i.e., no problem with internet access

on
> > either the desktop or notebook, internet connection is unbroken, etc.)
> > Both computers are Windows XP Home Edition, SP-2.
> >
> > I've discovered that when I turn off the notebook I start getting the
> > notification "Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is Unplugged".

Then
> > within a second I get the message "Local Area Connection is Now
> > Connected". This happens randomly, sometimes every few seconds,

sometimes
> > not for a few minutes or longer. As long as I leave the notebook on the
> > message doesn't appear.
> >
> > I've tried every option I can find to turn off this notification, but
> > nothing works. I've unchecked the "Notify Me When This Connection has
> > limited or no connectivity box", I've modified the setting in services,
> > I've changed the power management option for the ethernet card . . . I'm
> > stumped.
> >
> > It's really just an annoyance, not a performance issue, but I really

don't
> > need to be told by my desktop that my notebook is off every few seconds.
> > Any other way to approach this problem?

>
>





All times are GMT. The time now is 04:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.