Velocity Reviews

-   -   Dell Precision Windows xp64 SCSI 2nd hard drive problems. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t563598-dell-precision-windows-xp64-scsi-2nd-hard-drive-problems.html)

David Manvell 12-25-2007 05:32 AM

Dell Precision Windows xp64 SCSI 2nd hard drive problems.

I have a Precision 670 Dell computer that is running Windows XP 64. The Dell
has a Seagate ST3146854LW 136GB SCSI drive in it. The system has been running
fine although I am running out of disk space and will also be moving over to
Windows Vista x64 Ultimate shortly.

I purchased a new (From Seagate) ST3300655LW 300GB SCSI hard drive and added
it to my system. The 136GB original drive is SCSI ID 0 and the new 300GB
drive is SCSI ID 1. The new drive is the exact same line of drive as my
original one, it's just a larger version.

My system boots up fine and Disk Management sees the new drive. I created a
single partition the same size as the original drive that came with my
computer (136GB).

The partition formats fine from within Disk Management. Formated NTFS,
Default Allocation Unit size. Not using quick format and not using
compression.

Once the drive is formatted I am able to copy files to it but only a few
ones. Any attempt to copy lots of files (20+) results in the drive hanging
and locking up the computer.

No problems seem to be occuring with the old drive.

Suggestions?

Charlie Russel - MVP 12-25-2007 06:22 AM

Re: Dell Precision Windows xp64 SCSI 2nd hard drive problems.

If they're both off the same controller, I'd figure you need a new drive.
Certainly verify the SCSI cabling and the termination. (If you were to plug
a drive in AFTER the termination, you could have this behaviour. So make
sure that the termination is only turned on at the last drive, or via and
external terminator at the end of the cable.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

David Manvell 12-25-2007 06:34 AM

Re: Dell Precision Windows xp64 SCSI 2nd hard drive problems.

Yes same controller. An Adaptec Embedded SCSI HostRAID Controller. Not set up
as a raid.

David Manvell

Charlie Russel - MVP 12-25-2007 03:15 PM

Re: Dell Precision Windows xp64 SCSI 2nd hard drive problems.

definitely verify the termination. I'd wager that the cable, if it came from
Dell, has a termination on it. But if that first SCSI drive could also have
termination enabled. And the new Seagate will come with it enabled by
default. You can only have ONE termination on each end of the chain. That
can be the last drive in the chain, or a termination built into the cable,
on one end. The other end will be terminated by the controller.

David Manvell 12-25-2007 04:58 PM

Re: Dell Precision Windows xp64 SCSI 2nd hard drive problems.

Yes the scsi controller is set to terminate it on it's side according to the
scsi utilities. The ribbon cable has a termination on the other end. I will
check and make sure the second drive does not have any termination built into
it. I don't think it does though as it came with no jumpers at all (Had to
get one off an old drive to set the new drive's ID to 1).

Can termination be enabled via software on the drive itself somehow? How do
i check that? It would be via a jumper somewhere correct?

Dave

David Manvell 12-25-2007 05:30 PM

Re: Dell Precision Windows xp64 SCSI 2nd hard drive problems.

According to the scsi HD manual, both of those drives do not have any
internal termination at all. They require external termination. Does not look
like that is it :(

Dave

Charlie Russel - MVP 12-25-2007 05:53 PM

Re: Dell Precision Windows xp64 SCSI 2nd hard drive problems.

well, two possibilities - one is lousy termination - but honestly, I don't
expect it. The last Dell I saw had a decent active terminator on the cable.
The other possibility is a bad drive. :(

Charlie Russel - MVP 12-28-2007 08:29 PM

Re: Dell Precision Windows xp64 SCSI 2nd hard drive problems.

not mine - I never touch Dell machines

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

David Manvell 12-31-2007 02:22 AM

Re: Dell Precision Windows xp64 SCSI 2nd hard drive problems.

> Can your system controller handle two?

Yep. Confirmed. Can handle a ton of drives. It is a raid controller although
raid is set to off.

> Have you looked to see whether they both have the same firmware?

Confirmed.

> through Seagate's Seatools Enterprise utility. The Cheetah 15K.5, however,
> Did you try running SeaTools?

None of the Seagate utilities will work with 64 bit OSs unfortunately.

Seagate tech support ran out of ideas and told me to replace the drive so i
have a new one being shipped in. We shall see if it works or not.

Dave