Velocity Reviews

-   -   LCD Monitor - response times ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t562715-lcd-monitor-response-times.html)

- Bobb - 12-21-2007 01:10 AM

LCD Monitor - response times ?

Just starting homework on buying a new monitor (HP w2207) and would like
opinion as to " what to use as target for "monitor response time ".
I see that the W2207 is 5 msec .... is that Excellent/Fair etc ?
This response time is the time for .... WHAT ?
If I move mouse quickly side to side , will there be a 5 msec delay - is
that it ?

You can see how much it varies from one to another -
http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/monitorcompare2.asp

What is "miminum acceptable " ?
I'm not a gamer - if that matters.
Thanks for any pointers.

Jeff Strickland 12-21-2007 01:56 AM

Re: LCD Monitor - response times ?

That spec is only important if you are a gamer, or plan to use the monitor
to view DVDs. Movies are adversely affected by slow response times, as are
gamers. If your use is for programming language or working with your
favorite spreadsheet, you will not care about the response time.

I have an old LCD (19" Princeton that I bought from Costco more than 5 years
ago) that I have no idea what the response time is, but today's monitors
surely are faster, and I only notice flickers when I put in a DVD.

Another spec you want to watch for is Contrast.

news:HImdnRm0EPLnj_banZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

Paul 12-21-2007 06:32 AM

- Bobb - wrote:
> Just starting homework on buying a new monitor (HP w2207) and would like
> opinion as to " what to use as target for "monitor response time ".
> I see that the W2207 is 5 msec .... is that Excellent/Fair etc ?
> This response time is the time for .... WHAT ?
> If I move mouse quickly side to side , will there be a 5 msec delay -
> is that it ?
>
> You can see how much it varies from one to another -
> http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/monitorcompare2.asp
>
> What is "miminum acceptable " ?
> I'm not a gamer - if that matters.
> Thanks for any pointers.

There is a primer here, on the tricks of the trade.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/oth...arameters.html

"For LCD monitors with a real response time of less than 10 milliseconds,
the further reduction of the response time brings a smaller effect than
expected because the persistence of human vision becomes a factor to be
accounted for."

How they test monitors:
http://xbitlabs.com/articles/other/d...methods_5.html

Fast response can come with a price, if the monitor uses response time
compensation (overdrive).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/oth...9inch-5_6.html

Some monitors now use so many tricks, as to make them almost
unusable. For such monitors, the ability to turn off some of
this crap in the OSD, is a good idea. One monitor, for example,
has a bunch of "profiles", and who wants to be screwing around
with their monitor all day. My LCD monitor may be dumb, but I
cannot remember the last time I used the OSD.

There are plenty of other articles on Xbitlabs, and I find
their on-site search engine is pretty good. (Click "Advanced Search"
and change "Search Using" to "All Words" for best results.)
Otherwise, for precise searching, try this thing:

http://www.altavista.com/web/adv

Paul

- Bobb - 12-21-2007 03:34 PM

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:fkfmi6$ij4$1@aioe.org...
>- Bobb - wrote:
>> Just starting homework on buying a new monitor (HP w2207) and would
>> like opinion as to " what to use as target for "monitor response time
>> ".
>> I see that the W2207 is 5 msec .... is that Excellent/Fair etc ?
>> This response time is the time for .... WHAT ?
>> If I move mouse quickly side to side , will there be a 5 msec delay -
>> is that it ?
>>
>> You can see how much it varies from one to another -
>> http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/monitorcompare2.asp
>>
>> What is "miminum acceptable " ?
>> I'm not a gamer - if that matters.
>> Thanks for any pointers.
>>

> There is a primer here, on the tricks of the trade.
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/oth...arameters.html
>
> "For LCD monitors with a real response time of less than 10
> milliseconds,
> the further reduction of the response time brings a smaller effect
> than
> expected because the persistence of human vision becomes a factor to
> be
> accounted for."

That was a great article. Thanks

- Bobb - 12-21-2007 03:35 PM

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlr@verizon.net> wrote in message
> That spec is only important if you are a gamer, or plan to use the
> monitor to view DVDs. Movies are adversely affected by slow response
> times, as are gamers. If your use is for programming language or working
> with your favorite spreadsheet, you will not care about the response
> time.
>
> I have an old LCD (19" Princeton that I bought from Costco more than 5
> years ago) that I have no idea what the response time is, but today's
> monitors surely are faster, and I only notice flickers when I put in a
> DVD.
>
> Another spec you want to watch for is Contrast.

I MIGHT want to view a movie but 98% will be computer.
Thanks for the feedback.