Velocity Reviews

-   -   Reading Strings from Resource file. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t562709-reading-strings-from-resource-file.html)

Sabiyur 12-21-2007 12:13 AM

Reading Strings from Resource file.

Hi All,
The application I am doing requires hundreds of strings to be
stored & retrieve those randomly.
I think I can use microsoft resource ".rc" file to store the strings.
I am not sure, how to write strings in ".rc" file and retrieve it
programmatically?

Do you guys have any idea on this?
Is there any good article on this?

Please help.

Thanks
Sabiyur

Ron AF Greve 12-21-2007 12:35 AM

Re: Reading Strings from Resource file.

Hi,

Reading:

Basically. In VS goto the resource view
expand the treectrl
Goto string table (or right click to add one).
Double click it

On another pane you can now add string resources and there symbolic code
(which you can use to refer to it in the rest of your code).

Regards, Ron AF Greve

http://www.InformationSuperHighway.eu

Ian Collins 12-21-2007 02:43 AM

Sabiyur wrote:
> Hi All,
> The application I am doing requires hundreds of strings to be
> stored & retrieve those randomly.
> I think I can use microsoft resource ".rc" file to store the strings.
> I am not sure, how to write strings in ".rc" file and retrieve it
> programmatically?

Why not just use a simple text file?

--
Ian Collins.

Ian Collins 12-21-2007 02:44 AM

Re: Reading Strings from Resource file.

Ron AF Greve wrote:

[more top posted off topic advice]

Please stop top posting off topic advice!

--
Ian Collins.

jalina 12-21-2007 08:27 AM

Ian Collins a écrit :
> Sabiyur wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> The application I am doing requires hundreds of strings to be
>> stored & retrieve those randomly.
>> I think I can use microsoft resource ".rc" file to store the strings.
>> I am not sure, how to write strings in ".rc" file and retrieve it
>> programmatically?
>>

> Why not just use a simple text file?

..rc files are actually text files.

Jim Langston 12-21-2007 10:25 PM

jalina wrote:
> Ian Collins a écrit :
>> Sabiyur wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> The application I am doing requires hundreds of strings to be
>>> stored & retrieve those randomly.
>>> I think I can use microsoft resource ".rc" file to store the
>>> strings. I am not sure, how to write strings in ".rc" file and
>>> retrieve it programmatically?
>>>

>> Why not just use a simple text file?
>>

> .rc files are actually text files.

Yes, but not *simple* text files.

--
Jim Langston
tazmaster@rocketmail.com

Sabiyur 12-22-2007 02:23 AM

On Dec 20, 4:35*pm, "Ron AF Greve" <ron@localhost> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Reading:

> Basically. In VS goto the resource view
> expand the treectrl
> Goto string table (or right click to add one).
> Double click it
>
> On another pane you can now add string resources and there symbolic code
> (which you can use to refer to it in the rest of your code).
>
> Regards, Ron AF Greve
>
> http://www.InformationSuperHighway.eu
>
> "Sabiyur" <SabiyurRah...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi All,
> > * * * The application I am doing requires hundreds of strings to be
> > stored & retrieve those randomly.
> > I think I can use microsoft *resource ".rc" file to store the strings.
> > I am not sure, how to write strings in ".rc" file and retrieve it
> > programmatically?

> > Do you guys have any idea on this?
> > Is there any good article on this?

> > Please help.

> > Thanks
> > Sabiyur- Hide quoted text -

Thanks a lot. The ".rc" file string table works for my application.