Velocity Reviews

-   -   Blockbuster raising price on Total Access (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t562658-blockbuster-raising-price-on-total-access.html)

Kishin 12-20-2007 07:07 PM

Blockbuster raising price on Total Access

I got this in an e-mail from Blockbuster:

To continue to bring you the unmatched convenience of both online and
in-store DVD rentals, your monthly subscription fee will change from
$24.99 to $34.99. This adjustment will go into effect on your next
billing cycle on or after December 27, 2007. The benefits of your
subscription plan will remain the same.

How much does that suck? I hope a lot of people cancel their service.

Kishin!

Irulan 12-20-2007 10:58 PM

Re: Blockbuster raising price on Total Access

"Kishin" <spamspamspameggsandspam@spam.com> wrote in message
>I got this in an e-mail from Blockbuster:
>
> To continue to bring you the unmatched convenience of both online and
> in-store DVD rentals, your monthly subscription fee will change from
> $24.99 to $34.99. This adjustment will go into effect on your next
> billing cycle on or after December 27, 2007. The benefits of your
> subscription plan will remain the same.
>
> How much does that suck? I hope a lot of people cancel their service.
>
> Kishin!

I changed my subscription to the 1 at a time unlimited both mail and
in-store. However, if they raise the price $10 like they did the 3
at a time deal I will cancel and just do mailing in. You're right,
it sucks.

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

PapaBear 12-20-2007 11:24 PM

"Irulan" <lrulan@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Kishin" <spamspamspameggsandspam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>I got this in an e-mail from Blockbuster:
>>
>> To continue to bring you the unmatched convenience of both online and
>> in-store DVD rentals, your monthly subscription fee will change from
>> $24.99 to $34.99. This adjustment will go into effect on your next
>> billing cycle on or after December 27, 2007. The benefits of your
>> subscription plan will remain the same.
>>
>> How much does that suck? I hope a lot of people cancel their service.
>>
>> Kishin!

> I changed my subscription to the 1 at a time unlimited both mail and
> in-store. However, if they raise the price $10 like they did the 3
> at a time deal I will cancel and just do mailing in. You're right,
> it sucks.

I've received no such email, and the prices haven't changed at their
website. So this is possibly a false issue...

Lloyd Parsons 12-20-2007 11:55 PM

Re: Blockbuster raising price on Total Access (???)

In article <YQCaj.71252$RX.65318@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net >,
"PapaBear" <PaPaBeAr@thebears.x2x> wrote:

> "Irulan" <lrulan@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Kishin" <spamspamspameggsandspam@spam.com> wrote in message
> >>I got this in an e-mail from Blockbuster:
> >>
> >> To continue to bring you the unmatched convenience of both online and
> >> in-store DVD rentals, your monthly subscription fee will change from
> >> $24.99 to $34.99. This adjustment will go into effect on your next
> >> billing cycle on or after December 27, 2007. The benefits of your
> >> subscription plan will remain the same.
> >>
> >> How much does that suck? I hope a lot of people cancel their service.
> >>
> >> Kishin!

> > I changed my subscription to the 1 at a time unlimited both mail and
> > in-store. However, if they raise the price $10 like they did the 3
> > at a time deal I will cancel and just do mailing in. You're right,
> > it sucks.

> I've received no such email, and the prices haven't changed at their
> website. So this is possibly a false issue...

On their website, they say that the new prices will be posted 12/27/2007

But, with HDDVD and BluRay rentals all but total fiction from them, who
really cares. And of course, you can't forget their own private
dictionary that defines 'available' in new and interesting ways.

I cancelled them out on the last price gouge, sure am glad I did.

Sandkid 12-21-2007 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd Parsons
In article <YQCaj.71252$RX.65318@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net >,
"PapaBear" <PaPaBeAr@thebears.x2x> wrote:

> "Irulan" <lrulan@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Kishin" <spamspamspameggsandspam@spam.com> wrote in message
> >>I got this in an e-mail from Blockbuster:
> >>
> >> To continue to bring you the unmatched convenience of both online and
> >> in-store DVD rentals, your monthly subscription fee will change from
> >> $24.99 to $34.99. This adjustment will go into effect on your next
> >> billing cycle on or after December 27, 2007. The benefits of your
> >> subscription plan will remain the same.
> >>
> >> How much does that suck? I hope a lot of people cancel their service.
> >>
> >> Kishin!

> > I changed my subscription to the 1 at a time unlimited both mail and
> > in-store. However, if they raise the price $10 like they did the 3
> > at a time deal I will cancel and just do mailing in. You're right,
> > it sucks.

> I've received no such email, and the prices haven't changed at their
> website. So this is possibly a false issue...

On their website, they say that the new prices will be posted 12/27/2007

But, with HDDVD and BluRay rentals all but total fiction from them, who
really cares. And of course, you can't forget their own private
dictionary that defines 'available' in new and interesting ways.

I cancelled them out on the last price gouge, sure am glad I did.

I just talked to Blockbusters "customer support". My rate will go up on January 24th. I asked the gal why I would want to pay $34.99 when I can go back to NetFlix which is still at $16.99. She didn't have a good answer. I told her that I would be cancelling on January 23rd.

Now, if someone would come up with a way to capture the streaming downloads from NetFlix - I, too, would rather watch a movie on my 65" TV rather than on my 17" computer monitor! :grin:

PapaBear 12-21-2007 01:35 AM

"Lloyd Parsons" <lloydparsons@mac.com> wrote in message
> In article <YQCaj.71252$RX.65318@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net >,
> "PapaBear" <PaPaBeAr@thebears.x2x> wrote:
>
>> "Irulan" <lrulan@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Kishin" <spamspamspameggsandspam@spam.com> wrote in message

>> > I changed my subscription to the 1 at a time unlimited both mail and
>> > in-store. However, if they raise the price $10 like they did the 3
>> > at a time deal I will cancel and just do mailing in. You're right,
>> > it sucks.

>> I've received no such email, and the prices haven't changed at their
>> website. So this is possibly a false issue...

> On their website, they say that the new prices will be posted 12/27/2007

Where? I don't see it...

I've 2 accounts with them, one renewing this week, the other after
Christmas, and so far no emails mentioning a change in price. Their service
to me has been good, and I would probably accept a 5-10% price increase.
Anything more and I might have to reconsider...

Lloyd Parsons 12-21-2007 01:46 AM

Re: Blockbuster raising price on Total Access (???)

In article <kLEaj.31103$lD6.11806@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net> ,
"PapaBear" <PaPaBeAr@thebears.x2x> wrote:

> "Lloyd Parsons" <lloydparsons@mac.com> wrote in message
> > In article <YQCaj.71252$RX.65318@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net >,
> > "PapaBear" <PaPaBeAr@thebears.x2x> wrote:
> >
> >> "Irulan" <lrulan@comcast.net> wrote in message

> >> I've received no such email, and the prices haven't changed at their
> >> website. So this is possibly a false issue...

> > On their website, they say that the new prices will be posted 12/27/2007

> Where? I don't see it...
>
> I've 2 accounts with them, one renewing this week, the other after
> Christmas, and so far no emails mentioning a change in price. Their service
> to me has been good, and I would probably accept a 5-10% price increase.
> Anything more and I might have to reconsider...

It is in the FAQ's somewhere, I saw it today.

PapaBear 12-21-2007 01:57 AM

Re: Blockbuster raising price on Total Access (???)

>> > On their website, they say that the new prices will be posted
>> > 12/27/2007

>> Where? I don't see it...
>>

> It is in the FAQ's somewhere, I saw it today.

Yes, I see it now. I guess we must wait til next Thursday, December 27, to
find out the new prices. Here's the FAQ they've posted...

Question: I received an e-mail regarding a price restructure. When do
the new prices take effect?

Answer: If your price is changing, the new price will take effect on
your next billing date on or after December 27, 2007. We are not changing
any plan benefits; you will still continue to receive all the benefits
you've come to enjoy and value from BLOCKBUSTER By Mail™ and BLOCKBUSTER
Total Access™. Our goal is to provide a variety of subscription plans to
meet the needs of all our customers, at a great value.

The website will be updated to reflect the new pricing structures on
December 27, 2007.

Hawk 12-21-2007 02:49 PM

Re: Blockbuster raising price on Total Access (???)

> Yes, I see it now. I guess we must wait til next Thursday, December 27, to
> find out the new prices. Here's the FAQ they've posted...
>
> Question: I received an e-mail regarding a price restructure. When do
> the new prices take effect?
>
> Answer: If your price is changing, the new price will take effect on
> your next billing date on or after December 27, 2007. We are not changing
> any plan benefits; you will still continue to receive all the benefits
> you've come to enjoy and value from BLOCKBUSTER By Mail™ and BLOCKBUSTER
> Total Access™. Our goal is to provide a variety of subscription plans to
> meet the needs of all our customers, at a great value.
>
> The website will be updated to reflect the new pricing structures on
> December 27, 2007.

I'm still trying to understand why I've been unaffected by all of the
price and plan changes.

I have the 3-Out Total Access Premium plan which includes unlimited
in-store exchanges and 2 game rentals per month. I am still paying
$17.99 a month.

According to the info in the FAQ that plan will be $34.99 for most
people go forward.

I'd like to know what criteria they use to determine who gets their
rates hiked and who doesn't. It's crazy that I'm effectively paying
less than 1/2 price (although I won't complain about it). ;)

(*>

Lloyd Parsons 12-21-2007 02:56 PM

Re: Blockbuster raising price on Total Access (???)

In article <13mnkjuqkfn6o16@corp.supernews.com>,
Hawk <taohawk2003@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Yes, I see it now. I guess we must wait til next Thursday, December 27, to
> > find out the new prices. Here's the FAQ they've posted...
> >
> > Question: I received an e-mail regarding a price restructure. When do
> > the new prices take effect?
> >
> > Answer: If your price is changing, the new price will take effect on
> > your next billing date on or after December 27, 2007. We are not changing
> > any plan benefits; you will still continue to receive all the benefits
> > you've come to enjoy and value from BLOCKBUSTER By Mail and BLOCKBUSTER
> > Total Access. Our goal is to provide a variety of subscription plans to
> > meet the needs of all our customers, at a great value.
> >
> > The website will be updated to reflect the new pricing structures on
> > December 27, 2007.

> I'm still trying to understand why I've been unaffected by all of the
> price and plan changes.
>
> I have the 3-Out Total Access Premium plan which includes unlimited
> in-store exchanges and 2 game rentals per month. I am still paying
> $17.99 a month.
>
> According to the info in the FAQ that plan will be $34.99 for most
> people go forward.
>
> I'd like to know what criteria they use to determine who gets their
> rates hiked and who doesn't. It's crazy that I'm effectively paying
> less than 1/2 price (although I won't complain about it). ;)
>

> (*>

You may not be going to get the new rate, but you won't know it until
the 1st of the year, I suspect.

I quit them during the last runup in price, with lowering of service.
Primarily because their handling of BluRay and HDDVD discs was
atrocious. With about 50 titles in my queue, it was not uncommon for it
to be less than 20 'available'. But even with 'available', shipments
didn't happen. That's 'cause 'available' in blockbuster online-speak,
that means it is somewhere in there system, but not in my shipment
warehouse. Bad service, coupled with price increases just made
Blockbuster online not a good deal at all.

Netflix, OTOH, has been superb. Even when a title is sometimes not in
my local shipment point, they email and tell me they will ship from one
of the others. That makes 'available' actually have a valuable meaning.