Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wi-Fi Broadband access thru Dial-up ISP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t56184-wi-fi-broadband-access-thru-dial-up-isp.html)

=?Utf-8?B?QkMgTWVzYQ==?= 03-03-2006 04:15 PM

Wi-Fi Broadband access thru Dial-up ISP

Our laptop with WinXP-home has NetZero dial-up ISP through Netscape, accessed
through MS Office Outlook. Works fine until we travel & hook up with area
wi-fi. Out of country, we can access dialup and web email accounts and
internet on area wi-fis fine, but the dial-up server prevents sending email
out, even if we call up IExplorer and access other webmail accounts directly
(broadband ISP and Hotmail). We can use the dialup ISP telephone over wi-fi
just fine, but not email sending. Any clues how to troubleshoot this?
Also- because of so much travel, we have many wifi addresses in our list of
choices. Returning home, we could not get connected, so put the home address
at the top of the list. That seemed to help. Should the address we want to
use always be at the top of the list? Thanks

ato_zee@hotmail.com 03-03-2006 04:40 PM

Re: Wi-Fi Broadband access thru Dial-up ISP

On 3-Mar-2006, =?Utf-8?B?QkMgTWVzYQ==?= <BCMesa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> We can use the dialup ISP telephone over wi-fi
> just fine, but not email sending. Any clues how to troubleshoot this?

There was a product called MailRoam v1.2.1 by Trigon Software designed
for people with more than one ISP, or who roam the world. It works with
WinXP but is a bit tricky to set up. As far as I can determine it creates
a localhost smtp server, so you send mail to this server, which you configure
for each ISP, and it sends mail via the ISP's server, that would,
without MailRoam give an "Unable to relay" error message.
But Trigon seem to have vanished.

Frankster 03-03-2006 05:00 PM

Re: Wi-Fi Broadband access thru Dial-up ISP

> Out of country, we can access dialup and web email accounts and
> internet on area wi-fis fine, but the dial-up server prevents sending
> email
> out, even if we call up IExplorer and access other webmail accounts
> directly
> (broadband ISP and Hotmail).

This part really makes no sense. If you access a webmail website directly
(such as hotmail) even when you write and send an email, *you* are not
sending the email out, the hotmail server is. That's why it makes no sense.
It should work.

The only thing I can think of that could cause this webmail problem is
possibly some software on your own machine that is monitoring all mail
(including webmail accounts). What kind of AV and options do you have
installed?

-Frank

Don Grover 03-05-2006 05:02 AM

"BC Mesa" <BCMesa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Our laptop with WinXP-home has NetZero dial-up ISP through Netscape,
> accessed
> through MS Office Outlook. Works fine until we travel & hook up with area
> wi-fi. Out of country, we can access dialup and web email accounts and
> internet on area wi-fis fine, but the dial-up server prevents sending
> email
> out, even if we call up IExplorer and access other webmail accounts
> directly
> (broadband ISP and Hotmail). We can use the dialup ISP telephone over
> wi-fi
> just fine, but not email sending. Any clues how to troubleshoot this?
> Also- because of so much travel, we have many wifi addresses in our list
> of
> choices. Returning home, we could not get connected, so put the home
> address
> at the top of the list. That seemed to help. Should the address we want
> use always be at the top of the list? Thanks

I use authsmtp, this allows me to send emails independant of connection
providors.
http://control.authsmtp.com/signin-secure.php
Cheap to, I think $20 for whole year.

I always have my office/home wlan at top, I also use the intel connection
manager as this seams to have better control with +40 wifi connections .
Regards
Don G.

=?Utf-8?B?QkMgTWVzYQ==?= 05-10-2006 06:55 PM

Re: Wi-Fi Broadband access thru Dial-up ISP

Thanks for your help. We'll look for this kind of adaptation when purchasing
a new laptop for our travels later this summer. It does seem cumbersome, but
maybe new technology will be out soon. Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?QkMgTWVzYQ==?= 05-10-2006 07:17 PM

Re: Wi-Fi Broadband access thru Dial-up ISP

Thanks for the reply ... we've been traveling again...yes, the
NetZero/Netscape software seems to have a block of some kind. It's my
husband's laptop - could not tell all that is installed. Shotgun might help.

=?Utf-8?B?QkMgTWVzYQ==?= 05-10-2006 07:19 PM

Re: Wi-Fi Broadband access thru Dial-up ISP

Thanks, I'll check this out. New laptop purchase with more "modern" wireless
technology may be additional need. Appreciate the tip.

Don Grover 05-11-2006 06:13 AM

Re: Wi-Fi Broadband access thru Dial-up ISP

I put most travelling laptop users on http://www.authsmtp.com
It costs about $10 year to use them for outgoing mail.

=?Utf-8?B?QkMgTWVzYQ==?= 05-11-2006 04:08 PM

Re: Wi-Fi Broadband access thru Dial-up ISP

Thank you, Don. We're checking it out.