Velocity Reviews

-   -   LAN, Switching and Routing: Cat 3524 switch better at streaming than4503, why? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t560487-lan-switching-and-routing-cat-3524-switch-better-at-streaming-than4503-why.html)

Hoffa 12-12-2007 01:21 PM

LAN, Switching and Routing: Cat 3524 switch better at streaming than4503, why?

Hi all
We have a phone recording equipment with some 20 PC clients streaming
conversation recordings to a server. Everything is running TCP/IP and
ethernet, nothing special there and I had all clients and the server
connected to the same WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V line card in our L2 only 4503
Sup II+TS.
As the number of recordings increased I started to get reports of
stuttering and unhearable recordings on the server. What I did was I
removed all cabling from the clients and the server and stuck them in
a separate 3524 10/100 switch and there has been no problem since.

As far as I remember the 3524 had been on the shelf for about 2 years
and has a default setup. I have a rough understanding of the 4503
architecture and the multiplexing but I had no idea there was these
sort of limitations. The amount of data sent isn't that large either,
roughly 6mbit/sec is flowing into the server at any time.
Anyone has an idea why a EURO 500 switch is better at streaming than a
EURO 10.000 switch? I know this is a loose question but I need somewhere
to start.

Regards
Fredrik