Velocity Reviews

-   -   Digital SLR maual focus screens (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t558580-digital-slr-maual-focus-screens.html)

Dave 12-09-2007 09:23 PM

Digital SLR maual focus screens

Yesterday I was looking at a couple of digital SLR's to replace my
35mm SLR (a 'mart store). I was disappointed at the two I looked at
because the manual focus screen is not like a film 35mm (split ring
focus or micro prism), and the cameras don't seem to get the focus
right unless there is fairly good contrast in the subject. My
question is if anyone knows of a DSLR that has a really good manual
focus screen - one that a manual 35mm film camera owner would love?

Thanks for your time and I'll wait to see what develops (ha! ha!)

Dave (or is it just a picture?)
--
e-mail: d boland 9 (all 1 word) at fastmail period fm

me@mine.net 12-09-2007 09:41 PM

Re: Digital SLR maual focus screens

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

Dave 12-09-2007 09:50 PM

Re: Digital SLR maual focus screens

Thank you me, but it looks like using this device requires camera
surgery, which I don't want to do (unless some cameras have
interchangeable screens and it is just a matter of replacing the
current one).

I guess this situation begs the question of why DSLR's don't have the
focusing aides of 35mm cameras?

Dave,

--
A good newsgroup response is one that is truly helpful
and sticks to the subject. All the rest is just useless

e-mail: d boland 9 (all 1 word) at fastmail period fm

frederick 12-09-2007 10:11 PM

Dave wrote:
> Thank you me, but it looks like using this device requires camera
> surgery, which I don't want to do (unless some cameras have
> interchangeable screens and it is just a matter of replacing the current
> one).

Some do have interchangeable screens.. AFAIK the "surgery" required to
fit Katz eye screens is minor and 100% reversable. Only slightly less
trivial than with a dslr with interchangeable screens.

> I guess this situation begs the question of why DSLR's don't have the
> focusing aides of 35mm cameras?

You seem to have missed the period when 35mm cameras had auto-focus, and
screens similar to today's dslrs. (except for the size related to crop
sensor dslrs)
For critical focus for use for macro etc - unless for copy work, then
split screen / microprism screens also present the problem that for
typical composition (thirds), the focus aid is usually in the wrong
place - although the matt glass is probably better for focus than the
screens of typical AF slrs. The digital rangefinder with movable focus
points is still probably more accurate - so long as you've got enough
focus points and they're in the right places.

John Bean 12-09-2007 10:12 PM

Re: Digital SLR maual focus screens

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 21:50:01 GMT, Dave <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:
>I guess this situation begs the question of why DSLR's don't have the
>focusing aides of 35mm cameras?

Nothing to do with digital vs 35mm, all to do with AF vs MF.

Manual focus 35mm SLRs had focus aids, AF 35mm SLRs
generally did not. All digital SLRs are AF, so...

I recommend you choose a dSLR make/model that has
interchangeable focus screens and buy a screen that has
focus aids to replace the original.

--
John Bean

l v 12-09-2007 10:17 PM

Dave wrote:
> Thank you me, but it looks like using this device requires camera
> surgery, which I don't want to do (unless some cameras have
> interchangeable screens and it is just a matter of replacing the current
> one).
>
> I guess this situation begs the question of why DSLR's don't have the
> focusing aides of 35mm cameras?
>
> Dave,
>

> me@mine.net wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 21:23:53 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Dave
>> <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Yesterday I was looking at a couple of digital SLR's to replace my
>>> 35mm SLR (a 'mart store). I was disappointed at the two I looked at
>>> because the manual focus screen is not like a film 35mm (split ring
>>> focus or micro prism), and the cameras don't seem to get the focus
>>> right unless there is fairly good contrast in the subject. My
>>> question is if anyone knows of a DSLR that has a really good manual
>>> focus screen - one that a manual 35mm film camera owner would love?

>> http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

Canon's 40D offers interchangeable focusing screens however it may not
be what you are looking for. Page 162 of the manual provides minimal info.

--

Len

Floyd L. Davidson 12-09-2007 10:47 PM

Re: Digital SLR maual focus screens

Dave <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>Thank you me, but it looks like using this device
>requires camera surgery, which I don't want to do
>(unless some cameras have interchangeable screens and it
>is just a matter of replacing the current one).

Generally, all it takes is replacing the current one.
That may not be true of all cameras, but it certainly
is for some (e.g., the pro models).

>I guess this situation begs the question of why DSLR's
>don't have the focusing aides of 35mm cameras?

I doubt that any of them have the old style optical aid
(microprisms and split screen). They almost certainly
will all have something in the viewfinder which
indicates correct focus has been detected by the AF
mechanism, and that will work with MF lenses. The
problem with the indicator, in my experience, is that it
is (on Nikon cameras for example) located down in the
left hand corner and except for static scenes (I don't
mind it when the camera is on a tripod and I'm using a
bellows for photomacrography) it is very distracting to
switch from looking at the scene to looking at the
indicator.

I've used a Katzeye screen on a Nikon D2x for some time,
and am very satisfied with it. I'll probably want
something like that for the new D3, but it'll be awhile
before they are available.

Dave 12-09-2007 11:00 PM

Dave wrote:

> Thank you me, but it looks like using this device requires camera
> surgery, which I don't want to do (unless some cameras have
> interchangeable screens and it is just a matter of replacing the current
> one).
>
> I guess this situation begs the question of why DSLR's don't have the
> focusing aides of 35mm cameras?
>
> Dave,
>

> me@mine.net wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 21:23:53 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Dave
>> <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Yesterday I was looking at a couple of digital SLR's to replace my
>>> 35mm SLR (a 'mart store). I was disappointed at the two I looked at
>>> because the manual focus screen is not like a film 35mm (split ring
>>> focus or micro prism), and the cameras don't seem to get the focus
>>> right unless there is fairly good contrast in the subject. My
>>> question is if anyone knows of a DSLR that has a really good manual
>>> focus screen - one that a manual 35mm film camera owner would love?

>> http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

I guess I should have explained that I have been using a completely
manual 35mm for over 20 yrs. I tried a Canon AE-1 (I believe) in the
70's and hated the automatic stuff. I would like to continue with a
manual camera since all of my lenses are manual as well. So from what
some of you are saying I need to look for a DSLR that has
interchangeable screens. I did a very quick and see that the D300 has
interchangeable screens, but I didn't find any Nikon brand screens for
it. Not that I'm hung up on Nikon, so other suggestions welcome.

Thanks again.

Dave,

--
e-mail: d boland 9 (all 1 word) at fastmail period fm

Jim 12-09-2007 11:38 PM

"Dave" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Dave wrote:
>
>> Thank you me, but it looks like using this device requires camera
>> surgery, which I don't want to do (unless some cameras have
>> interchangeable screens and it is just a matter of replacing the current
>> one).
>>
>> I guess this situation begs the question of why DSLR's don't have the
>> focusing aides of 35mm cameras?
>>
>> Dave,
>>

>> me@mine.net wrote:

>>> http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

> I guess I should have explained that I have been using a completely manual
> 35mm for over 20 yrs. I tried a Canon AE-1 (I believe) in the 70's and
> hated the automatic stuff. I would like to continue with a manual camera
> since all of my lenses are manual as well. So from what some of you are
> saying I need to look for a DSLR that has interchangeable screens. I did
> a very quick and see that the D300 has interchangeable screens, but I
> didn't find any Nikon brand screens for it. Not that I'm hung up on
> Nikon, so other suggestions welcome.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Dave,
>

> --
> e-mail: d boland 9 (all 1 word) at fastmail period fm

The AE-1 had automatic exposure control; it was still a manual focus
machine.
No AF camera has split image screens like you are discussing. The last
Nikon camera
which has such a screen was the F3. I used an E screen on my F3. The K
screen is
around here somewhere.

Subsequent Nikon cameras (F4, F5, F6, N90, D1, or
D2) had versions of the B screen and sometimes the E screen. The D70 and
later models
have an electronic version of the E screen.

Jim

Paul Furman 12-10-2007 01:04 AM

Dave wrote:

> me@mine.net wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 21:23:53 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Dave
>> <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yesterday I was looking at a couple of digital SLR's to replace my
>>> 35mm SLR (a 'mart store). I was disappointed at the two I looked at
>>> because the manual focus screen is not like a film 35mm (split ring
>>> focus or micro prism), and the cameras don't seem to get the focus
>>> right unless there is fairly good contrast in the subject...

>> http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

> Thank you me, but it looks like using this device requires camera
> surgery, which I don't want to do (unless some cameras have
> interchangeable screens and it is just a matter of replacing the current
> one).

You can pay them to install it. I put one in, it's not brain surgery but
not that easy either.

> I guess this situation begs the question of why DSLR's don't have the
> focusing aides of 35mm cameras?

I'm not 100% sold on the split prism + collar approach, it only really
works with good contrast also and interferes with the view. I think the
better approach may be a more heavily frosted ground glass but that
makes the view dimmer & most DSLRs are already dimmer due to being
smaller. There are more expensive focus screen replacements too. And
more expensive full frame DSLRs.

If you like old school MF you will enjoy old lenses metering on a
D200/300 as I do. It just takes some getting used to.