Velocity Reviews

-   -   Modem problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t557967-modem-problem.html)

Bill and Margie 12-07-2007 03:26 AM

Modem problem

When I try to make a connection I get a message that tells me that I
must (or may) already have a program running. My question is "how can I
find out which program is running?" I am using a Dell mellinum 2 puter
and connect using dial-up. Thanks for your help.
Bill

Paul 12-07-2007 04:35 AM

Re: Modem problem

Bill and Margie wrote:
> When I try to make a connection I get a message that tells me that I
> must (or may) already have a program running. My question is "how can I
> find out which program is running?" I am using a Dell mellinum 2 puter
> and connect using dial-up. Thanks for your help.
> Bill

OK, I played around a little bit. I'm using Process Explorer from
sysinternals.com . Sysinternals was acquired by Microsoft, so the
link leads here.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...t.svl=featured

This is the file to download. Simply unzip, and then double-click on procexp.exe
to run the actual program. There isn't an install procedure necessary.

http://download.sysinternals.com/Fil...ssExplorer.zip

My antivirus software squeals a little bit, when I run it, as it fiddles
with low level stuff in order to list the information it extracts. Running
as Administrator probably helps as well.

In the lower pane, you have a choice of showing DLLs or handles. Go to

As a test, I started a copy of Hyperterm. It is a serial communications
program, which can talk to COM ports. It came with Windows as far as I know.
I have one COM port on this machine. I fired up Hyperterm, and discovered
Hyperterm talking to "\Device\Serial0". If you were to go to the "Find"
tab at the top, and search for a handle that matches "serial", then you
should be able to snag any processes that talk to serial devices. At least,
that is my best guess as to how you might go about figuring out which
process has hijacked the COM port.

For other OSes, your guess is as good as mine, as to what the name of the
serial port might be. Process Explorer may not have been intended to work
with older OSes, in which case I'm at a loss to suggest a tool that might
do the same thing.

HTH,
Paul

Paul 12-07-2007 05:08 AM

Re: Modem problem

Paul wrote:
> Bill and Margie wrote:
>> When I try to make a connection I get a message that tells me that I
>> must (or may) already have a program running. My question is "how can I
>> find out which program is running?" I am using a Dell mellinum 2 puter
>> and connect using dial-up. Thanks for your help.
>> Bill
>>

> OK, I played around a little bit. I'm using Process Explorer from
> sysinternals.com . Sysinternals was acquired by Microsoft, so the
> link leads here.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...t.svl=featured
>

> This is the file to download. Simply unzip, and then double-click on
> procexp.exe
> to run the actual program. There isn't an install procedure necessary.
>
> http://download.sysinternals.com/Fil...ssExplorer.zip
>
> My antivirus software squeals a little bit, when I run it, as it fiddles
> with low level stuff in order to list the information it extracts. Running
> as Administrator probably helps as well.
>
> In the lower pane, you have a choice of showing DLLs or handles. Go to
>
> As a test, I started a copy of Hyperterm. It is a serial communications
> program, which can talk to COM ports. It came with Windows as far as I
> know.
> I have one COM port on this machine. I fired up Hyperterm, and discovered
> Hyperterm talking to "\Device\Serial0". If you were to go to the "Find"
> tab at the top, and search for a handle that matches "serial", then you
> should be able to snag any processes that talk to serial devices. At least,
> that is my best guess as to how you might go about figuring out which
> process has hijacked the COM port.
>
> For other OSes, your guess is as good as mine, as to what the name of the
> serial port might be. Process Explorer may not have been intended to work
> with older OSes, in which case I'm at a loss to suggest a tool that might
> do the same thing.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

There is a claim here, that a program like "Handle" from Sysinternals,
can determine that a process has *some* COM port busy, but not which
one (if used in Win98).

http://www.powerbasic.com/support/fo...ML/014433.html

It looks like downloading a program like "handle", opening a DOS
window, and trying "handle -a serial" might come close to dumping
some info. I just tried it in Win2K, and the filter term
"serial" removes a lot of the cruft from the output. Note that handle
will make reference to registry entries, if a program has a register
entry open.

Paul