Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wireless Networking (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f19-wireless-networking.html)
-   -   Simple home network? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t557662-simple-home-network.html)

Suzy 12-05-2007 11:26 PM

Simple home network?
 
Hi all

Beginner's question:

I currently have a Toshiba A100 notebook connected through the USB port to a
Netcomm NB5 Modem/Router. What is the cheapest and simplest way to arrange
to be able to take my notebook around the house and access the modem from
wherever I am?



Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 12-06-2007 01:33 AM

Re: Simple home network?
 
Hi
The official answer is, get an Access Point and connect it to the Router.
The Access Point would serve as a Wireless source allow Wireless computers
to connect to the Router.
Access Points can be found on line or in computer store, their price range
from $60 to $100.
It is hard to find an Access Point on a good sale their prices tend to be
higher than Wireless Routers.
Example,
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...00648&pfp=dec2

Unofficially, regular Wireless Cable/DSL Routers can be configured as an
Access Point, you will need to configure them for this purpose, but you can
save on the price.
Example, CompUSA has the Wireless Router on sale this week for $4.99 after
rebate.
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...44149&pfp=dec2
It has to be configured this way, Wireless Router as an AP -
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

If you can deal wit the configuration, your problem solved for $4.99.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:475733a0$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Hi all
>
> Beginner's question:
>
> I currently have a Toshiba A100 notebook connected through the USB port to
> a Netcomm NB5 Modem/Router. What is the cheapest and simplest way to
> arrange to be able to take my notebook around the house and access the
> modem from wherever I am?
>



Suzy 12-06-2007 10:04 PM

Re: Simple home network?
 
Thanks Jack. So does the access point connect straight to the Netcomm
modem? No computer required? And then do I reach the access point on the air
by using the A100's built in wireless network facility? (switch on the right
hand side of the machine). As you see I am the complete beginner!

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
news:uSKWig6NIHA.5980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> The official answer is, get an Access Point and connect it to the Router.
> The Access Point would serve as a Wireless source allow Wireless computers
> to connect to the Router.
> Access Points can be found on line or in computer store, their price range
> from $60 to $100.
> It is hard to find an Access Point on a good sale their prices tend to be
> higher than Wireless Routers.
> Example,
> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...00648&pfp=dec2
>
> Unofficially, regular Wireless Cable/DSL Routers can be configured as an
> Access Point, you will need to configure them for this purpose, but you
> can save on the price.
> Example, CompUSA has the Wireless Router on sale this week for $4.99 after
> rebate.
> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...44149&pfp=dec2
> It has to be configured this way, Wireless Router as an AP -
> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
>
> If you can deal wit the configuration, your problem solved for $4.99.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:475733a0$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>> Hi all
>>
>> Beginner's question:
>>
>> I currently have a Toshiba A100 notebook connected through the USB port
>> to a Netcomm NB5 Modem/Router. What is the cheapest and simplest way to
>> arrange to be able to take my notebook around the house and access the
>> modem from wherever I am?
>>

>




Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 12-06-2007 10:41 PM

Re: Simple home network?
 
Hi
Yes you are on the right track.
If you want to understand better how to configure the Wireless this might
further help.
My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:47587217@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Thanks Jack. So does the access point connect straight to the Netcomm
> modem? No computer required? And then do I reach the access point on the
> air by using the A100's built in wireless network facility? (switch on the
> right hand side of the machine). As you see I am the complete beginner!
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> news:uSKWig6NIHA.5980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>> The official answer is, get an Access Point and connect it to the Router.
>> The Access Point would serve as a Wireless source allow Wireless
>> computers to connect to the Router.
>> Access Points can be found on line or in computer store, their price
>> range from $60 to $100.
>> It is hard to find an Access Point on a good sale their prices tend to be
>> higher than Wireless Routers.
>> Example,
>> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...00648&pfp=dec2
>>
>> Unofficially, regular Wireless Cable/DSL Routers can be configured as an
>> Access Point, you will need to configure them for this purpose, but you
>> can save on the price.
>> Example, CompUSA has the Wireless Router on sale this week for $4.99
>> after rebate.
>> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...44149&pfp=dec2
>> It has to be configured this way, Wireless Router as an AP -
>> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
>>
>> If you can deal wit the configuration, your problem solved for $4.99.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:475733a0$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Beginner's question:
>>>
>>> I currently have a Toshiba A100 notebook connected through the USB port
>>> to a Netcomm NB5 Modem/Router. What is the cheapest and simplest way to
>>> arrange to be able to take my notebook around the house and access the
>>> modem from wherever I am?
>>>

>>

>
>




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.