Velocity Reviews

-   -   DNS AD INtegrated (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t55731-dns-ad-integrated.html)

John Smith 02-21-2006 10:24 PM

DNS AD INtegrated

I've been playin with DNS, and i'm learning alot. the only thing i have a
question about is AD-Integrated dns. i was reading a ms press book and it
says that all AD-I primary zones get stored in AD and replicated thru AD.
where do i see these DNS objects in AD? i can see everything just fine in
the DNS snap in but i dont know where to search in active directory users
and groups. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne 02-21-2006 11:05 PM

Re: DNS AD INtegrated

"John Smith" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> I've been playin with DNS, and i'm learning alot. the only thing i have a
> question about is AD-Integrated dns. i was reading a ms press book and it
> says that all AD-I primary zones get stored in AD and replicated thru AD.
> where do i see these DNS objects in AD? i can see everything just fine in
> the DNS snap in but i dont know where to search in active directory users
> and groups. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Open Active Directory Users and Computers. Under the "View" menu, check
"Advanced Features" You'll now see a folder called "System", under that is
MicrosoftDNS.

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz
MCNGP Silver
MCP Windows NT 3.51 and Windows 95

John Smith 02-21-2006 11:17 PM

Re: DNS AD INtegrated

I did that first, but i thought i was doing something wrong. I went back in
and did it you said and the same thing, nothing is in there. i only have one
dc so do you think thats why i i'm not seeing it? do i have to force a
replication?

Wayne 02-21-2006 11:24 PM

Re: DNS AD INtegrated

>I did that first, but i thought i was doing something wrong. I went back in
> and did it you said and the same thing, nothing is in there. i only have
> one
> dc so do you think thats why i i'm not seeing it? do i have to force a
> replication?

Same here mate :) But, if you had more than 1 DC you'd see the information
that is being replicated. You cant force a replication with only 1 DC.

Wayne

LRM 02-21-2006 11:58 PM

Re: DNS AD INtegrated

"John Smith" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I did that first, but i thought i was doing something wrong. I went back in
> and did it you said and the same thing, nothing is in there. i only have
> one
> dc so do you think thats why i i'm not seeing it? do i have to force a
> replication?

Install another server using VMWare, or Virtual PC, promote it, config your
dns etc... and you should see the directories under System. You would be
able to force replication then because your dc would have another dc to play
with.
Enjoy.

--
LRM