Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wireless on WinXP, LAN connection to PC won't allow sharing - IP already in use. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t55589-wireless-on-winxp-lan-connection-to-pc-wont-allow-sharing-ip-already-in-use.html)

Jamie Furlong 02-18-2006 02:12 PM

Wireless on WinXP, LAN connection to PC won't allow sharing - IP already in use.

Wireless adaptor is 192.168.0.10
XP (connected to wireless) is 192.168.0.10

Trying to share a lan connection to a Win98 via a crossover cable, which
worked OK when I shared a Win 2000 machine.

Now getting:

"An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.
Internet Connection Sharin cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already
configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP
addressing." Sounds like 192.168.0.1 is somewhere on my system. But
where? Why can't I ping it? When I enter ipconfig I get only 192.168.0.2
and 192.168.0.10. How can I find the problem?

If I manually config the LAN to be 192.168.0.1, then I lose DNS from my XP
machine!

It's weird as hell, taken loads of reboots and hours of time out of my life!

Help appreciated :)

Steve Winograd [MVP] 02-18-2006 07:56 PM

Re: Wireless on WinXP, LAN connection to PC won't allow sharing - IP already in use.

In article <#RIzOWJNGHA.428@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Jamie Furlong"
<reply@thisgroup.please> wrote:
>Wireless adaptor is 192.168.0.10
>XP (connected to wireless) is 192.168.0.10
>
>Trying to share a lan connection to a Win98 via a crossover cable, which
>worked OK when I shared a Win 2000 machine.
>
>Now getting:
>
> "An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.
>Internet Connection Sharin cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already
>configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP
>addressing." Sounds like 192.168.0.1 is somewhere on my system. But
>where? Why can't I ping it? When I enter ipconfig I get only 192.168.0.2
>and 192.168.0.10. How can I find the problem?
>
>If I manually config the LAN to be 192.168.0.1, then I lose DNS from my XP
>machine!
>
>It's weird as hell, taken loads of reboots and hours of time out of my life!
>
>Help appreciated :)

ICS wants to assign 192.168.0.1 to the LAN connection. It can't do
that, because the wireless network is already using the 192.168.0.x IP
address range. The Internet connection and the LAN must use different
ranges.

To use ICS, change the wireless network to a different address range,
such as 192.168.1.x.
--
Best Wishes,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

Jamie Furlong 02-19-2006 10:23 AM

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <bcmaven@mvps.org> wrote in message

> ICS wants to assign 192.168.0.1 to the LAN connection. It can't do
> that, because the wireless network is already using the 192.168.0.x IP
> address range. The Internet connection and the LAN must use different
> ranges.
>
> To use ICS, change the wireless network to a different address range,
> such as 192.168.1.x.

Thanks Steve - *sigh* of course, that's the thing I DIDN'T try!

I'd changed the wireless adaptor to be 0.10, I'd set all other machines to
be 0.11 and above.
I'd made sure there was nothing running on the local machine with a port.

What I didn't realise was that it had to change from 192.168.0.x to
192.168.x.x - does this mean a subnet mask will have to change somewhere?
Cos I can JUST handle normal stuff, but when subnet masks come into play,
anything other than 255.255.255.0 has me in a spin!

I guess I'll have to google for a tutorial and understand one day!

Thanks again for the help - mentally noted in my reserved area!

Steve Winograd [MVP] 02-19-2006 10:14 PM

Re: Wireless on WinXP, LAN connection to PC won't allow sharing - IP already in use.

In article <euqaH6TNGHA.3776@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "Jamie Furlong"
<reply@thisgroup.please> wrote:
>"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <bcmaven@mvps.org> wrote in message
>news:chuev1tifgn1o6oflsp7fk321t3o2m7p6b@4ax.com.. .
>> ICS wants to assign 192.168.0.1 to the LAN connection. It can't do
>> that, because the wireless network is already using the 192.168.0.x IP
>> address range. The Internet connection and the LAN must use different
>> ranges.
>>
>> To use ICS, change the wireless network to a different address range,
>> such as 192.168.1.x.

>Thanks Steve - *sigh* of course, that's the thing I DIDN'T try!
>
>I'd changed the wireless adaptor to be 0.10, I'd set all other machines to
>be 0.11 and above.
>I'd made sure there was nothing running on the local machine with a port.
>
>What I didn't realise was that it had to change from 192.168.0.x to
>192.168.x.x - does this mean a subnet mask will have to change somewhere?
>Cos I can JUST handle normal stuff, but when subnet masks come into play,
>anything other than 255.255.255.0 has me in a spin!
>
>I guess I'll have to google for a tutorial and understand one day!
>
>Thanks again for the help - mentally noted in my reserved area!

You're welcome, Jamie. Use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 on the
wireless network and the LAN. That mask simply means that IP
addresses that are the same in the first three numbers are in the same
subnet. For example:

192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.10 are in the same subnet
192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 are in different subnets

kornfanjoe 01-16-2009 01:42 AM

An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled

Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled.
A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address
that is required for automatic IP addressing.

i tried advice of turning off the adapter and it allowed me to enable sharing but for some reason that
blocked my internet i was still connected but not able to use anything needing internet
i really need help here and am lost i have windows xp...when i bring my xbox to friends houses it connects
instantly no problems but mine wont work no matter what i try
i have a trendnet usb adapter and i dont know what the router is because it is hidden
any help will be appreciated

mamadjahad 08-27-2011 08:18 PM

Same problem

I have the same warning showing up while i'm trying to share my internet for wireless ad hoc network in windows 7, the same warning shows as: a Lan connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing, what should i do?