Velocity Reviews

-   -   replacement hard drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t555336-replacement-hard-drive.html)

wadealowther@yahoo.com 11-27-2007 12:43 AM

replacement hard drive

Hi,

I have a PC with a 60 gig hard drive that is struggling for headroom
with the applications I am running on it.

I do a lot of audio recording, photo editing and movie production. As
a result, the machine is prone to "go slows" and hanging.

I have a large external drive that I use for storing files, but the
applications and processing big files eats up the disk space on the
internal drive.

I quite fancy the idea of getting a seriously big replacement internal
hard drive, but I don't know what to look for. How difficult a job is
it to install a replacement drive and does it mean reinstalling
everything (operating system and applications)?

Thanks in advance

WAL

Robert Baer 11-27-2007 03:44 AM

Re: replacement hard drive

wadealowther@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PC with a 60 gig hard drive that is struggling for headroom
> with the applications I am running on it.
>
> I do a lot of audio recording, photo editing and movie production. As
> a result, the machine is prone to "go slows" and hanging.
>
> I have a large external drive that I use for storing files, but the
> applications and processing big files eats up the disk space on the
> internal drive.
>
> I quite fancy the idea of getting a seriously big replacement internal
> hard drive, but I don't know what to look for. How difficult a job is
> it to install a replacement drive and does it mean reinstalling
> everything (operating system and applications)?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> WAL

Not a problem; most systems allow 4 IDE drives.
First, get a 200Gbyte (or larger) HD, making sure the BIOS will
handle it.
Then have your master drive installed as Primary Master and the new
HD as something else (use a removeable HD kit); no other hard drives.
Use Ghost (ghostpe) to copy from drive#1 to drive#2; it will allow
one to select a destination size - allowing you to enlarge each
partition during the copy.
When done, try the computer with the new HD as the master: you will
see everything that you are familiar with, except there is (magically)
more space.
Keep the old HD as reference / backup for a while.
If happy, get a *second* large HD as well as a removeable HD kit for
that second HD and mark the carrier *BACKUP* and do the copy business as
i had mentioned (master to backup in this case) on regular occasions;
date that BACKUP drive.
When the master drive fails, you can replace it with the BACKUP drive
in a few minutes (less if it also was in a removeable HD kit).
Naturally, you then get another new BACKUP drive.
I have about 6 of these kits so i am able to switch OSes in a few
seconds and setup for BACKUP in a few seconds.

WARNING: If you contemplate having a number of HDs in these kits,
make d*mn sure you buy 2-4 more than the maximim contemplated, as one
brand (and most likely part #) IS NOT compatible with any other!

Neil Green 11-27-2007 09:44 AM

Re: replacement hard drive

"Robert Baer" <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in
message news:13kn4jshhhier43@corp.supernews.com...
> wadealowther@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a PC with a 60 gig hard drive that is
>> struggling for headroom
>> with the applications I am running on it.
>>
>> I do a lot of audio recording, photo editing and
>> movie production. As
>> a result, the machine is prone to "go slows" and
>> hanging.
>>
>> I have a large external drive that I use for
>> storing files, but the
>> applications and processing big files eats up the
>> disk space on the
>> internal drive.
>>
>> I quite fancy the idea of getting a seriously big
>> replacement internal
>> hard drive, but I don't know what to look for. How
>> difficult a job is
>> it to install a replacement drive and does it mean
>> reinstalling
>> everything (operating system and applications)?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> WAL

> Not a problem; most systems allow 4 IDE drives.
> First, get a 200Gbyte (or larger) HD, making sure
> the BIOS will handle it.
> Then have your master drive installed as Primary
> Master and the new HD as something else (use a
> removeable HD kit); no other hard drives.
> Use Ghost (ghostpe) to copy from drive#1 to
> drive#2; it will allow one to select a destination
> size - allowing you to enlarge each partition during
> the copy.
> When done, try the computer with the new HD as the
> master: you will see everything that you are
> familiar with, except there is (magically) more
> space.
> Keep the old HD as reference / backup for a while.
> If happy, get a *second* large HD as well as a
> removeable HD kit for that second HD and mark the
> carrier *BACKUP* and do the copy business as i had
> mentioned (master to backup in this case) on regular
> occasions; date that BACKUP drive.
> When the master drive fails, you can replace it
> with the BACKUP drive in a few minutes (less if it
> also was in a removeable HD kit).
> Naturally, you then get another new BACKUP drive.
> I have about 6 of these kits so i am able to
> switch OSes in a few seconds and setup for BACKUP in
> a few seconds.
>
> WARNING: If you contemplate having a number of HDs
> in these kits, make d*mn sure you buy 2-4 more than
> the maximim contemplated, as one brand (and most
> likely part #) IS NOT compatible with any other!

Sound advice, but I prefer Acronis' True Image to
Symantec's Ghost.
And many recent boards only have provision for two IDE
drives (usually optical), with most now supporting
only SATA hard disk drives, but in the case above
there will probably be a primary and secondary IDE
controller, which usually translates to two IDE hard
disk drives and two optical drives.