Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wireless computer cannot see other network computer all of a sudden (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t55514-wireless-computer-cannot-see-other-network-computer-all-of-a-sudden.html)

Steve Conklan 02-16-2006 01:43 PM

Wireless computer cannot see other network computer all of a sudden

DSL modem; Linksys 54G wireless router

2 computers (identical) one plugged into the router (A), the other set up
with a linksys wireless adapter USB (B)
1 notebook (linksys wireless PC card adapter)

WindowsOneCare firewall, WindowsXP professional SP 2 on all

Wireless computer has always had trouble seeing the plugged-in one, but the
Notebook and plugged-in computer have no problems. I have turned off the
firewall; makes no difference. I have run and re-run ad nauseam the Network
wizard and even renamed the network to the preferred name of MSHome.

I have all the files on the plugged in computer in the Shared Documents
folder. I even reshared the folder and checked the allow to change files
box. I get computer B to see the files once in a while, but it coughs when
it tries to open them and usually want finish doing so before it has stopped
seeing the file.

I can run Remote Desktop from Computer A to Computer B and to the notebook,
but cannot run Remote Desktop from Computer B to A
Works from notlebook on both computers and vice-versa

Computer B (wireless) just won't cooperate. Any ideas. I have simplified
networking on and I am pretty knowledgeable with Windows but could not find
last night how to enable the advance networking options. Where are they
hidden?

SteveC 02-17-2006 02:20 AM

Re: Wireless computer cannot see other network computer all of a sudden

I saw some of the other comments from people with similar woes and have more
information. Computer B with the wireless connection cannot connect to my
notebook or computer A via Remote Desktop but I can get to it with RD from
the other two. Since the notebook has a Linksys wireless adapater and
connects to the network fine, I don't think it is a router problem. I tried
adding netbeui and that didn't help. Next I am going to uninstall the
firewall. I disabled it and it made no difference.

SteveC 02-17-2006 04:33 AM

Re: Wireless computer cannot see other network computer all of a sudden

I can get remote desktop to connect if I type in the IP address instead of
the computer name (in Computer B). I can also get View Computers to show
the names of all 3, but still cannot connect to shared folders on Notebook
or Computer A.