Velocity Reviews

-   -   windows xp recovery console (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t554809-windows-xp-recovery-console.html)

Thomas 11-24-2007 06:51 PM

windows xp recovery console

I'm trying to fix a problem with my Acer 2312 notebook, when I try and
boot into XP home it says the file isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt.
So I try and use the Recovery Console from an XP installation CD. The
problem is that it prompts for a password on the Administrator
account, which I don't know, because I have my own account with
administrator privelages. I'm the only one who uses the notebook so
this must have been an account installed at the factory. Any
suggestions on how to get the password? Keep in mind that I can not
boot windows at all, and I don't have enought HDD space to install
another OS. At the administrator password I tried leaving it blank and
it still did not work. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Rod Speed 11-24-2007 08:53 PM

Re: windows xp recovery console

Thomas <FujiMuji@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to fix a problem with my Acer 2312 notebook, when I try
> and boot into XP home it says the file isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt.
> So I try and use the Recovery Console from an XP installation CD.
> The problem is that it prompts for a password on the Administrator
> account, which I don't know, because I have my own account with
> administrator privelages. I'm the only one who uses the notebook so
> this must have been an account installed at the factory. Any
> suggestions on how to get the password? Keep in mind that I can not boot
> windows at all, and I don't have enought HDD space to install another OS.

You dont need that to run one from the CD.

> At the administrator password I tried
> leaving it blank and it still did not work.

> Any suggestions much appreciated.

Boot a bootable CD and fix the password problem that way.

The ultimate boot CD for Win has a password cracker.

Gerard Bok 11-24-2007 10:40 PM

Re: windows xp recovery console

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:51:53 -0800 (PST), Thomas
<FujiMuji@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to fix a problem with my Acer 2312 notebook, when I try and
>boot into XP home it says the file isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt.
>So I try and use the Recovery Console from an XP installation CD. The
>problem is that it prompts for a password on the Administrator
>account,

It always does. Even if there is no password.

>which I don't know, because I have my own account with
>administrator privelages. I'm the only one who uses the notebook so
>this must have been an account installed at the factory. Any
>suggestions on how to get the password? Keep in mind that I can not
>boot windows at all, and I don't have enought HDD space to install
>another OS. At the administrator password I tried leaving it blank and
>it still did not work. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Can't tell for all Acers but mine doesn't require any admin
password for the recovery console.
Just choose 1 to select the windows installation and press enter
for the password. (So basically, I suggest to try again :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk 11-28-2007 07:30 PM

On Nov 24, 6:51 pm, Thomas <FujiM...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to fix a problem with my Acer 2312 notebook, when I try and
> boot into XP home it says the file isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt.
> So I try and use the Recovery Console from an XP installation CD. The
> problem is that it prompts for a password on the Administrator
> account, which I don't know, because I have my own account with
> administrator privelages. I'm the only one who uses the notebook so
> this must have been an account installed at the factory. Any
> suggestions on how to get the password? Keep in mind that I can not
> boot windows at all, and I don't have enought HDD space to install
> another OS. At the administrator password I tried leaving it blank and
> it still did not work. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Peter Nordahl`s offline NT password recovery <-- google that

Also. the recovery console is a bit limited, it has its purpose like
fixing up boot.ini It has some good commands, like 3 FIXMBR,
BOOTCFG /reinstall, FIXBOOT. It may have others..

But for other things, you have to tweak things to access a floppy
drive, and I am not sure if there is an edit.com, there may be a copy
con, so you could make files that way. It is very limited. Not like a
command prompt. For that you are better off with Win XP PE. Or
something like UBCD..

I don`t know what you hope to do from the recovery console..

I suggest you consider a Win XP Repair. "off the cd".
aka win xp repair installation.
It is different from a repair from the windows recovery console.
It is like overwriting the key windows xp files.

this is a classic page- below

BillW50 12-03-2007 10:22 AM

Re: windows xp recovery console

In
jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk typed on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:30:27 -0800
(PST):
> ... For that you are better off with Win XP PE. Or
> something like UBCD...

Windows XP PE isn't available for most folks. How about Bart's PE?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE

--
Bill

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk 12-03-2007 02:54 PM

On Dec 3, 10:22 am, "BillW50" <Bill...@aol.kom> wrote:
> Innews:cc993a90-d8b6-4679-ac33-3e7f9b1e1c5e@d61g2000hsa.googlegroups.com,
> jameshanle...@yahoo.co.uk typed on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:30:27 -0800
> (PST):
>
> > ... For that you are better off with Win XP PE. Or
> > something like UBCD...

> Windows XP PE isn't available for most folks. How about Bart's PE?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE
>
> --
> Bill

well, I will just emphasise that if windows is not loading(and he has
not isolated it to a boot.ini problem), then i think he should do a
Win XP Repair off the CD..

But

yeah - BartPE.. Though I think UBCD - which I mentioned - uses BartPE
http://www.ubcd4win.com/
".... Bart's PE(c) ...accomplish...task"

That will let him read his drive. replace files. Though he would need
to know what to replace, and he would need to have the replacement
files..

But just for the sake of mentioning alternative solutions, there is
the HDD in or connected to another machine. And there is the NTFS4DOS
like stuff.

Bloke Down The Pub 12-03-2007 11:03 PM

"BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote in message
news:4753d8de$0$1346$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere. com...
> In news:cc993a90-d8b6-4679-ac33-3e7f9b1e1c5e@d61g2000hsa.googlegroups.com,
> jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk typed on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:30:27 -0800 (PST):
>> ... For that you are better off with Win XP PE. Or
>> something like UBCD...

> Windows XP PE isn't available for most folks. How about Bart's PE?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE
>
> --
> Bill

But you still need the original XP CD (or similar) to set up a bootable
Barts CD.

Mike

BillW50 12-03-2007 11:40 PM

Re: windows xp recovery console

In news:47548bbd$0$22911$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au,
Bloke Down The Pub typed on Tue, 4 Dec 2007 08:03:30 +0900:
> "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote in message
> news:4753d8de$0$1346$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere. com...
>> In
>> jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk typed on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:30:27 -0800
>> (PST):
>>> ... For that you are better off with Win XP PE. Or
>>> something like UBCD...

>> Windows XP PE isn't available for most folks. How about Bart's PE?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE

> But you still need the original XP CD (or similar) to set up a
> bootable Barts CD.
>
> Mike

Well yes! Important to mention I guess. :)

--
Bill