Velocity Reviews

-   -   Does this page work in your Firefox? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t554735-does-this-page-work-in-your-firefox.html)

Mika 11-24-2007 09:21 AM

Does this page work in your Firefox?

Hi all, if you could kindly test this W3C validated page specifically in
Firefox only and advise if you see the streetscape appear. (Designed for
broadband):

http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

Thanks,
Mika

Blinky the Shark 11-24-2007 10:05 AM

Re: Does this page work in your Firefox?

Mika wrote:
> Hi all, if you could kindly test this W3C validated page specifically
> in Firefox only and advise if you see the streetscape appear.
> (Designed for broadband):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

Since you've been complaining of discussion beyond answers to your
specific questions: I do not see it.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Mika 11-24-2007 10:13 AM

"Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote in message
news:slrnfkftr1.6vh.no.spam@thurston.blinkynet.net ...
> Mika wrote:
>> Hi all, if you could kindly test this W3C validated page specifically
>> in Firefox only and advise if you see the streetscape appear.
>> (Designed for broadband):
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

> Since you've been complaining of discussion beyond answers to your
> specific questions: I do not see it.

Have only complained about people assuming we haven't thought of very
obvious things like being sued by shops for giving them free advertsing when
we asked about an IE error message.

Will not complain however if you are able to elaborate. The page should
load, and on Broadband in 2-3 seconds you should see a streetscape appear in
the blue central box, which you can then walk along.

If you don't, what version FF are you on, and do you have JS enabled?

A screenshot would be fantastic.

Constructive replies always welcomed.

Mika

John Hosking 11-24-2007 12:34 PM

Mika wrote:
> Hi all, if you could kindly test this W3C validated page

This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!
Result: Failed validation, 14 Errors

> specifically in Firefox only and advise if you see the
> streetscape appear. (Designed for broadband):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

No, without JS, I don't. With JS I do. I hear the crashing waves either way.

--
John
Pondering the value of the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

Andy Dingley 11-24-2007 12:53 PM

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:21:13 GMT, "Mika" <anon@anon.com> wrote:

>http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

Possibly the nastiest page in many a long day.

I don't see anything. After 20 seconds of fast broadband (slow old
laptop though) I gave up. I had to kill FF to do so.

What I did see looks like a domain-squatter's spam page.

"Quicker then driving" You don't really get this "web" thing, do you?

Mika 11-24-2007 01:16 PM

"John Hosking" <John@DELETE.Hosking.name.INVALID> wrote in message
> Mika wrote:
>> Hi all, if you could kindly test this W3C validated page

> This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!
> Result: Failed validation, 14 Errors

When are you checking this? A few days ago perhaps, but as of yesterday,
and 5 seconds ago when we checked again, we get this result:

http://tinyurl.com/39sxo5
W3C CSS Validator Results
Congratulations! No Error Found.
This document validates as CSS!
To show your readers that you've taken the care to create an interoperable
Web page, you may display this icon on any page that validates. Here is the
XHTML you could use to add this icon to your Web page:

Are you saying the W3C are wrong or did you just not check it when we posted
this post? We are trying to work on the feedback from this group, and the
site is constantly being cleaned and improved based on your advice.

>> specifically in Firefox only and advise if you see the streetscape
>> appear. (Designed for broadband):
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

> No, without JS, I don't. With JS I do. I hear the crashing waves either
> way.

Very funny. It seems people on this group are not able to hear truck
engines or crowd noise, and can only hear passing cars as waves. We know
what you mean, but come on we all know what the sound is really. Depends
how you see the half full glass.

Glad to know it works for you with JS which is how all FF browsers are
installed as standard.

Mika 11-24-2007 01:20 PM

"Andy Dingley" <dingbat@codesmiths.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:21:13 GMT, "Mika" <anon@anon.com> wrote:
>
>>http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

> Possibly the nastiest page in many a long day.

Thanks. That explains all the great reviews posted on our home page. We
appreciate it isn't how you would do it, but it is at least unique and
inventive.

> I don't see anything. After 20 seconds of fast broadband (slow old
> laptop though) I gave up. I had to kill FF to do so.

May we ask please:

Do you have JS enabled?
What speed broadband is it?
A 'slow old' laptop might not help however.

> What I did see looks like a domain-squatter's spam page.

Thanks. Here is a rough example of what you might see, which really
doesn't:
http://www.superhighstreet.com/images/OxfordCircus.jpg

> "Quicker then driving" You don't really get this "web" thing, do you?

We know how to be nice and are doing our best.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 11-24-2007 01:26 PM

Mika wrote:

> "John Hosking" wrote:
>> Mika wrote:
>>> Hi all, if you could kindly test this W3C validated page

...........................................^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.superhighstreet.com%2FG eorge-Street-Richmond%2Findex.shtml&charset=%28detect+automatic ally%29&doctype=Inline&group=0>

> Are you saying the W3C are wrong

No, he is saying you forgot the HTML validation, which is what most of
us think of when you say "W3C validated page." Otherwise, you would have
mentioned "CSS validates" or similar.

> Glad to know it works for you with JS which is how all FF browsers are
> installed as standard.

...though many people turn it off because it is the prime cause of popup
windows, cookie delivery, and other annoyances. It is also stripped by
many corporate firewalls.

--
-bts

J.O. Aho 11-24-2007 01:38 PM

Mika wrote:
> Hi all, if you could kindly test this W3C validated page specifically in
> Firefox only and advise if you see the streetscape appear. (Designed for
> broadband):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

Seems to work in SeaMonkey if JS turned on, but then the page wants to be on
top when opening things like preferences or editing bookmarks.

Scrolling how the JS generated part of the page has trouble to follow with the
rest of the page, I guess my old 2GHz CPU starts to be too slow to surf the
net, while gaming it's quite good suited for.

--

//Aho

Mika 11-24-2007 01:40 PM

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote in message
> Mika wrote:
> <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.superhighstreet.com%2FG eorge-Street-Richmond%2Findex.shtml&charset=%28detect+automatic ally%29&doctype=Inline&group=0>
>
>> Are you saying the W3C are wrong

> No, he is saying you forgot the HTML validation, which is what most of
> us think of when you say "W3C validated page." Otherwise, you would have
> mentioned "CSS validates" or similar.

Of the 14 'errors':

1 is caused by MS Expression Web and cannot be changed (without severe
rewrites)
1 is valid 'onbeforeunload' but we are welcome to hear suggested
alternatives?
8 are caused by one small Flash object - causes no actual issues
2 we have just fixed (table size)
1 is to open a link in a new window - has to happen, we are open to
suggestions?
1 is required to get around the IE/Google API bug (JS must be outside the
body tag)

In other words, the page works perfectly on all test systems, and 12/14
above are by design.

What is the actual real life disadvantage of leaving these in, in reality?
I mean, the site works everywhere we can test it. Nobody knows there are
these few minor things except us.

>> Glad to know it works for you with JS which is how all FF browsers are
>> installed as standard.

> ..though many people turn it off because it is the prime cause of popup
> windows, cookie delivery, and other annoyances. It is also stripped by
> many corporate firewalls.

That is up to them - no other way to use Google Maps sadly.