Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cisco Software Advisor - used for baselining software versions? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t554239-cisco-software-advisor-used-for-baselining-software-versions.html)

dhodgson7@gmail.com 11-22-2007 03:26 AM

Cisco Software Advisor - used for baselining software versions?

Hi folks,

I am about to go through a major upgrade program in my company as per
other posts. I've been crawling the cisco website to find tools that
may help me doing this. I've cam accross a tool called the "Software
Advisor", it's pretty cool but I have some questions about it that I
hope some of you may help me with.

I use the "find software compatible with my hardware", I then select
"Enter your hardware configuration using show command output from your
device", I copy and paste my "sh ver" and "sh diag", it then tells me
a version of software for my device. Now is this the "recommended"
software I should use as it's "Compatible" with my hardware, as long
as it doesn't contain any bugs (that I care about) or lacks features
that I need? So can I use this for setting baseline software versions
for my hardware?

Why does a 3640 only get recommended a 12.3(17c) version of software
and not 12.4?

After I ran the advisor on one of my devices it gave me a couple of
differnet versions of software, I then get the message "This image
requires more memory than currently (as per show version) installed on
your device. If you select this image, please upgrade your memory
before upgrading to it" The "show version" shows "31360K bytes of ATA
System CompactFlash (Read/Write)" which is equivilant of 30.625MB. The
minimum flash is 32MB, for the selected image, do I not have 32MB?

thanks folks
Dave

Doug McIntyre 11-22-2007 07:11 AM

Re: Cisco Software Advisor - used for baselining software versions?

dhodgson7@gmail.com writes:
>I am about to go through a major upgrade program in my company as per
>other posts. I've been crawling the cisco website to find tools that
>may help me doing this. I've cam accross a tool called the "Software
>Advisor", it's pretty cool but I have some questions about it that I
>hope some of you may help me with.

Yep, it and Feature Navigator are where you want to be.

>I use the "find software compatible with my hardware", I then select
>"Enter your hardware configuration using show command output from your
>device", I copy and paste my "sh ver" and "sh diag", it then tells me
>a version of software for my device. Now is this the "recommended"
>software I should use as it's "Compatible" with my hardware, as long
>as it doesn't contain any bugs (that I care about) or lacks features
>that I need? So can I use this for setting baseline software versions
>for my hardware?

>Why does a 3640 only get recommended a 12.3(17c) version of software
>and not 12.4?

12.4 is only recomended in limited deployment. 12.3(x) mainline is for
general deployment.

Cisco is pretty conservative for their software recomendations.

>After I ran the advisor on one of my devices it gave me a couple of
>differnet versions of software, I then get the message "This image
>requires more memory than currently (as per show version) installed on
>your device. If you select this image, please upgrade your memory
>before upgrading to it" The "show version" shows "31360K bytes of ATA
>System CompactFlash (Read/Write)" which is equivilant of 30.625MB. The
>minimum flash is 32MB, for the selected image, do I not have 32MB?

Yes, newer and newer images require huge amounts of more memory.

Its not necessarily Flash that is limited, but also DRAM in the box.

12.4 probably requires maxing out your 3640 in DRAM for most feature sets.
Looks like IP only gets away with *only* 64M of DRAM installed.. :)
Some early 3640's probably shipped with 16M of DRAM and 4M of Flash....

Merv 11-22-2007 07:16 AM

On Nov 21, 10:26 pm, dhodgs...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am about to go through a major upgrade program in my company as per
> other posts. I've been crawling the cisco website to find tools that
> may help me doing this. I've cam accross a tool called the "Software
> Advisor", it's pretty cool but I have some questions about it that I
> hope some of you may help me with.
>
> I use the "find software compatible with my hardware", I then select
> "Enter your hardware configuration using show command output from your
> device", I copy and paste my "sh ver" and "sh diag", it then tells me
> a version of software for my device. Now is this the "recommended"
> software I should use as it's "Compatible" with my hardware, as long
> as it doesn't contain any bugs (that I care about) or lacks features
> that I need? So can I use this for setting baseline software versions
> for my hardware?
>
> Why does a 3640 only get recommended a 12.3(17c) version of software
> and not 12.4?
>
> After I ran the advisor on one of my devices it gave me a couple of
> differnet versions of software, I then get the message "This image
> requires more memory than currently (as per show version) installed on
> your device. If you select this image, please upgrade your memory
> before upgrading to it" The "show version" shows "31360K bytes of ATA
> System CompactFlash (Read/Write)" which is equivilant of 30.625MB. The
> minimum flash is 32MB, for the selected image, do I not have 32MB?
>
> thanks folks
> Dave

Be careful with these recommendations.

Cisco will try to always recommend the latest release which of course
requires the most memory, etc, etc

You may have no need for any of the features in the recommended
release.

BTW all of these new features have TONS of bugs which may also impact
base functionality.

In the "old" days one could usual pick a GD realease (General
Deployment) and be done with it; those days are long gone...

I have witnessed many a network engineer impaling themselves by going
with the latest and greatest IOS release.

Just consider how painful it will be to back out a faulty release once
you have implemented it one 50 or 100 routers

dhodgson7@gmail.com 11-22-2007 07:28 AM

On Nov 22, 3:11 pm, Doug McIntyre <mer...@geeks.org> wrote:
> dhodgs...@gmail.com writes:
> >I am about to go through a major upgrade program in my company as per
> >other posts. I've been crawling the cisco website to find tools that
> >may help me doing this. I've cam accross a tool called the "Software
> >Advisor", it's pretty cool but I have some questions about it that I
> >hope some of you may help me with.

> Yep, it and Feature Navigator are where you want to be.
>
> >I use the "find software compatible with my hardware", I then select
> >"Enter your hardware configuration using show command output from your
> >device", I copy and paste my "sh ver" and "sh diag", it then tells me
> >a version of software for my device. Now is this the "recommended"
> >software I should use as it's "Compatible" with my hardware, as long
> >as it doesn't contain any bugs (that I care about) or lacks features
> >that I need? So can I use this for setting baseline software versions
> >for my hardware?
> >Why does a 3640 only get recommended a 12.3(17c) version of software
> >and not 12.4?

> 12.4 is only recomended in limited deployment. 12.3(x) mainline is for
> general deployment.
>
> Cisco is pretty conservative for their software recomendations.
>
> >After I ran the advisor on one of my devices it gave me a couple of
> >differnet versions of software, I then get the message "This image
> >requires more memory than currently (as per show version) installed on
> >your device. If you select this image, please upgrade your memory
> >before upgrading to it" The "show version" shows "31360K bytes of ATA
> >System CompactFlash (Read/Write)" which is equivilant of 30.625MB. The
> >minimum flash is 32MB, for the selected image, do I not have 32MB?

> Yes, newer and newer images require huge amounts of more memory.
>
> Its not necessarily Flash that is limited, but also DRAM in the box.
>
> 12.4 probably requires maxing out your 3640 in DRAM for most feature sets.
> Looks like IP only gets away with *only* 64M of DRAM installed.. :)
> Some early 3640's probably shipped with 16M of DRAM and 4M of Flash....

Thanks Doug,

but what about this warning about the flash? Do you think I have 32MB
flash and it's just not reporting correct in the "sh ver"?

Dave

Thrill5 11-23-2007 03:14 AM

Re: Cisco Software Advisor - used for baselining software versions?

The Cisco Software Advisor is the most worthless tool Cisco has ever come
out with. To me, it should tell you what version of code and what feature
set you need when you feed your hardware and specific features you need.
Instead, you have to tell it what specific features you want, and what
feature set you have. Seems very backwards and stupid to me. If I knew the
feature set I needed, then I wouldn't be using it in the first place. This
tool has been around for years, and I don't think they are ever going to fix
this glaring (to me anyway) omission in how the tool works.