Velocity Reviews

-   -   HD on 1280 x 1024? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t553954-hd-on-1280-x-1024-a.html)

Travis 11-21-2007 04:09 AM

HD on 1280 x 1024?

I have a 17" monitor and its resolution is set at 1280 x 1048. Since
"HD" (I'm aware that 720 is not true HD) is 1280x720 that means I can
view HD on my monitor? Do I need a special HD video card or anything?

Neil Green 11-21-2007 07:56 AM

Re: HD on 1280 x 1024?

"Travis" <trav1085@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a 17" monitor and its resolution is set at
>1280 x 1048. Since
> "HD" (I'm aware that 720 is not true HD) is 1280x720
> that means I can
> view HD on my monitor? Do I need a special HD video
> card or anything?

No, but you need to get the HD input from somewhere.
A HD tuner card will do the job, but do you want to
watch HD on a 17" screen anyway?

Travis 11-23-2007 06:00 AM

Re: HD on 1280 x 1024?

On Nov 20, 11:56 pm, "Neil Green" <nrgreen...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> "Travis" <trav1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have a 17" monitor and its resolution is set at
> >1280 x 1048. Since
> > "HD" (I'm aware that 720 is not true HD) is 1280x720
> > that means I can
> > view HD on my monitor? Do I need a special HD video
> > card or anything?

> No, but you need to get the HD input from somewhere.
> A HD tuner card will do the job, but do you want to
> watch HD on a 17" screen anyway?

No, I wouldn't. But if I have a video file that is HD, is that an
input source? I'm aware that I'd need an HD tuner card (I have a WinTV-
GO-Plus). Just checking ...

A little off topic, but if I get an HDTV that is "HD Ready" that means
my source has to have an HD Decoder, right? I have to have a Shaw
cablebox that is HD instead of just getting HD over cable (such as CBC
Sports). And if my TV is full HD supported, I can watch it with just
cable or over the air

Neil Green 11-23-2007 11:39 AM

Re: HD on 1280 x 1024?

> On Nov 20, 11:56 pm, "Neil Green"
> <nrgreen...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> "Travis" <trav1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> >I have a 17" monitor and its resolution is set at
>> >1280 x 1048. Since
>> > "HD" (I'm aware that 720 is not true HD) is
>> > 1280x720
>> > that means I can
>> > view HD on my monitor? Do I need a special HD
>> > video
>> > card or anything?

>> No, but you need to get the HD input from
>> somewhere.
>> A HD tuner card will do the job, but do you want to
>> watch HD on a 17" screen anyway?

> No, I wouldn't. But if I have a video file that is
> HD, is that an
> input source? I'm aware that I'd need an HD tuner
> card (I have a WinTV-
> GO-Plus). Just checking ...
>
> A little off topic, but if I get an HDTV that is "HD
> Ready" that means
> my source has to have an HD Decoder, right? I have
> to have a Shaw
> cablebox that is HD instead of just getting HD over
> cable (such as CBC
> Sports). And if my TV is full HD supported, I can
> watch it with just
> cable or over the air

A HD video file would be very large.
A lot of the stuff kicking around the net has been
recorded from a HD source but then compressed, usually
with divx or xvid, so the end result isn't HD at all.
Standard DVD's (maybe 5 - 6 Gb per movie) aren't HD
either.
A true HDTV is capable of displaying 720p (1280 x 720)
or 1080i (1922 x 1080), so you need an input source
compatible with these numbers, the HDTV signal will
also usually contain dolby surround sound.
I'm not sure of the situation in the USA, but this
site looks like a good source of information.
http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_wor.../usa/index.xml

Travis 11-25-2007 04:45 AM

Re: HD on 1280 x 1024?

On Nov 23, 3:39 am, "Neil Green" <nrgreen...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> "Travis" <trav1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Nov 20, 11:56 pm, "Neil Green"
> > <nrgreen...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >> "Travis" <trav1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> No, but you need to get the HD input from
> >> somewhere.
> >> A HD tuner card will do the job, but do you want to
> >> watch HD on a 17" screen anyway?

> > No, I wouldn't. But if I have a video file that is
> > HD, is that an
> > input source? I'm aware that I'd need an HD tuner
> > card (I have a WinTV-
> > GO-Plus). Just checking ...

> > A little off topic, but if I get an HDTV that is "HD
> > Ready" that means
> > my source has to have an HD Decoder, right? I have
> > to have a Shaw
> > cablebox that is HD instead of just getting HD over
> > cable (such as CBC
> > Sports). And if my TV is full HD supported, I can
> > watch it with just
> > cable or over the air

> A HD video file would be very large.
> A lot of the stuff kicking around the net has been
> recorded from a HD source but then compressed, usually
> with divx or xvid, so the end result isn't HD at all.
> Standard DVD's (maybe 5 - 6 Gb per movie) aren't HD
> either.
> A true HDTV is capable of displaying 720p (1280 x 720)
> or 1080i (1922 x 1080), so you need an input source
> compatible with these numbers, the HDTV signal will
> also usually contain dolby surround sound.
> I'm not sure of the situation in the USA, but this
> site looks like a good source of information.http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_wor.../usa/index.xml

It doesn't matter, but it's "An HD"

I'm in Canada, for the record. I'm aware of all just, just checking. I
understand though. Although I don't think 720p is real HD. Actually,
1080i (or 1080p, for the matter) is 1920x1080, as, for the record,
consumer HD is 1440x1080 (The 1.3 equivalent).

Neil Green 11-25-2007 05:51 AM

Re: HD on 1280 x 1024?

> On Nov 23, 3:39 am, "Neil Green"
> <nrgreen...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> "Travis" <trav1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > No, I wouldn't. But if I have a video file that
>> > is
>> > HD, is that an
>> > input source? I'm aware that I'd need an HD tuner
>> > card (I have a WinTV-
>> > GO-Plus). Just checking ...

>> > A little off topic, but if I get an HDTV that is
>> > "HD
>> > Ready" that means
>> > my source has to have an HD Decoder, right? I
>> > have
>> > to have a Shaw
>> > cablebox that is HD instead of just getting HD
>> > over
>> > cable (such as CBC
>> > Sports). And if my TV is full HD supported, I can
>> > watch it with just
>> > cable or over the air

>> A HD video file would be very large.
>> A lot of the stuff kicking around the net has been
>> recorded from a HD source but then compressed,
>> usually
>> with divx or xvid, so the end result isn't HD at
>> all.
>> Standard DVD's (maybe 5 - 6 Gb per movie) aren't HD
>> either.
>> A true HDTV is capable of displaying 720p (1280 x
>> 720)
>> or 1080i (1922 x 1080), so you need an input source
>> compatible with these numbers, the HDTV signal will
>> also usually contain dolby surround sound.
>> I'm not sure of the situation in the USA, but this
>> site looks like a good source of
>> information.http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_wor.../usa/index.xml

> It doesn't matter, but it's "An HD"
>
> I'm in Canada, for the record. I'm aware of all
> just, just checking. I
> understand though. Although I don't think 720p is
> real HD. Actually,
> 1080i (or 1080p, for the matter) is 1920x1080, as,
> for the record,
> consumer HD is 1440x1080 (The 1.3 equivalent).

720 and 576 line progressive is generally accepted as
being HD.
There are no real set standards, for example in
Australia some channels broadcast 1080 x 1440 and
others 1080 x 1920 (16:9).
Your HDTV should be capable of displaying all these
formats.