Velocity Reviews

-   -   Seeking simple VOIP program (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t553117-seeking-simple-voip-program.html)

varioustrees@yahoo.com 11-18-2007 05:24 PM

Seeking simple VOIP program

Hi,

I want a program that, given my IP address and another
person's IP address, will let us converse with sound i.e.
make a VOIP call. I'd prefer that no 3rd system (server)
be involved. We are both using wireless routers.

Is this possible? Is there a program that will allow it?

If a 3rd system must be involved, is there a simple PHP
script that could coordinate making the connection?

Thanks.

Andy Davidson 11-18-2007 05:58 PM

Re: Seeking simple VOIP program

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 09:24:33 -0800 (PST), varioustrees wrote:
> If a 3rd system must be involved, is there a simple PHP
> script that could coordinate making the connection?

This is typically referred to as click to call functionality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click-to-call

Your script would initiate some software like Asterisk to initiate two
calls and then connect both channels.

If you have a big volume of calls you need to centrally initiate, drop
me a call and I can share some ideas with you.

--
:: Regards, Andy Davidson blog www.andyd.net
:: http://www.localphone.com/ - Call Global, Pay Local

Rev Turd Fredericks 11-18-2007 07:34 PM

varioustrees@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want a program that, given my IP address and another
> person's IP address, will let us converse with sound i.e.
> make a VOIP call. I'd prefer that no 3rd system (server)
> be involved. We are both using wireless routers.
>
> Is this possible? Is there a program that will allow it?
>
> If a 3rd system must be involved, is there a simple PHP
> script that could coordinate making the connection?
>
> Thanks.

You might want to mention which ****ing OS you are using while posting a
question like that.

--
Geeks may inherit the earth,
but they have no desire to rule it

-Robert Stevens (the Geek Squad founder)

FrozenNorth 11-18-2007 07:41 PM

Re: Seeking simple VOIP program

Rev Turd Fredericks took a can of maroon spray paint on November 18, 2007
02:34 pm and wrote the following:

> varioustrees@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want a program that, given my IP address and another
>> person's IP address, will let us converse with sound i.e.
>> make a VOIP call. I'd prefer that no 3rd system (server)
>> be involved. We are both using wireless routers.
>>
>> Is this possible? Is there a program that will allow it?
>>
>> If a 3rd system must be involved, is there a simple PHP
>> script that could coordinate making the connection?
>>
>> Thanks.

> You might want to mention which ****ing OS you are using while posting a
> question like that.

Its headers say Linux, Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4

--
Lits Slut #9

Juergen Nieveler 11-18-2007 08:39 PM

Re: Seeking simple VOIP program

varioustrees@yahoo.com wrote:

> I want a program that, given my IP address and another
> person's IP address, will let us converse with sound i.e.
> make a VOIP call. I'd prefer that no 3rd system (server)
> be involved. We are both using wireless routers.
>
> Is this possible? Is there a program that will allow it?

How about SpeakFreely?

It's about as basic as VoIP gets, but you can talk, and even use
encryption if you want to.

Juergen Nieveler
--
"There needs to be debates, like we're going through. There needs to be
townhall meetings. There needs to be travel. This is a huge country."

Rev Turd Fredericks 11-18-2007 09:45 PM

FrozenNorth wrote:
> Rev Turd Fredericks took a can of maroon spray paint on November 18, 2007
> 02:34 pm and wrote the following:
>
>> varioustrees@yahoo.com wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want a program that, given my IP address and another
>>> person's IP address, will let us converse with sound i.e.
>>> make a VOIP call. I'd prefer that no 3rd system (server)
>>> be involved. We are both using wireless routers.
>>>
>>> Is this possible? Is there a program that will allow it?
>>>
>>> If a 3rd system must be involved, is there a simple PHP
>>> script that could coordinate making the connection?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> You might want to mention which ****ing OS you are using while posting a
>> question like that.
>>

> Its headers say Linux, Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4

What do you suppose the person he wants to talk to is using? Besides,
other than you, who bothers to read headers? :-)

FrozenNorth 11-18-2007 10:11 PM

04:45 pm and wrote the following:

> FrozenNorth wrote:
>> Rev Turd Fredericks took a can of maroon spray paint on November 18, 2007
>> 02:34 pm and wrote the following:

>>> You might want to mention which ****ing OS you are using while posting a
>>> question like that.
>>>

>> Its headers say Linux, Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4
>>

> What do you suppose the person he wants to talk to is using? Besides,
> other than you, who bothers to read headers? :-)

Well, if you are going to be that way, two dented soup cans, and a really
long piece of string, Voice Over Irregular Packaging.

--
Lits Slut #9

Rev Turd Fredericks 11-19-2007 02:06 AM

FrozenNorth wrote:
> Rev Turd Fredericks took a can of maroon spray paint on November 18, 2007
> 04:45 pm and wrote the following:
>
>> FrozenNorth wrote:
>>> Rev Turd Fredericks took a can of maroon spray paint on November 18, 2007

>>> Its headers say Linux, Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4
>>>

>> What do you suppose the person he wants to talk to is using? Besides,
>> other than you, who bothers to read headers? :-)
>>

> Well, if you are going to be that way, two dented soup cans, and a really
> long piece of string, Voice Over Irregular Packaging.

I tried that but the damned cat keeps playing with the string

Hongtian 11-19-2007 09:03 AM

On Nov 19, 1:24 am, varioustr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want a program that, given my IP address and another
> person's IP address, will let us converse with sound i.e.
> make a VOIP call. I'd prefer that no 3rd system (server)
> be involved. We are both using wireless routers.
>
> Is this possible? Is there a program that will allow it?
>
> If a 3rd system must be involved, is there a simple PHP
> script that could coordinate making the connection?
>
> Thanks.

If your OS is windows, I suggest you to try miniSipServer and Xten.

miniSipServer is a kind of SIP server and Xten is a kind of SIP
client. You can use them to establish your own VOIP network.

:-)

Wolfgang Barth 11-19-2007 04:36 PM

varioustrees@yahoo.com schrieb:

> I want a program that, given my IP address and another
> person's IP address, will let us converse with sound i.e.
> make a VOIP call. I'd prefer that no 3rd system (server)
> be involved. We are both using wireless routers.

Any VoIP Program using the SIP protocol is able to do this.
The problem is NAT, which is probably made by your router.

You will have to open a port, normally 5060, for the
signalling of incoming calls to your PC or phone device.

> Is this possible? Is there a program that will allow it?

I prefer SJphone which is freely available for lots of systems.

> If a 3rd system must be involved, is there a simple PHP
> script that could coordinate making the connection?

If you know the IP the only 3rd system necessary is a STUN
server which just helps to hold the route open over the NAT.

Then just "dial" the IP-number and it is done.
Even commercially available IP-Phones based on the SIP
protocol are able to do this.
So you even do not need a PC.

Wolfgang