Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to execute a program over a LAN (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t552617-how-to-execute-a-program-over-a-lan.html)

TwistedDreams 11-17-2007 05:09 AM

How to execute a program over a LAN

Hello

I could use some help. I've done this before but i can't remember how i
set it up.
I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to execute
the exe from several computers on a LAN.
i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers (lets
call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it was
installed on (computer "A")

TIA

Mitch 11-17-2007 08:32 AM

Re: How to execute a program over a LAN

In article <Xns99EB19F291C8twisteddreamscom@66.250.146.128> ,
TwistedDreams <pyscho@babble.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I could use some help. I've done this before but i can't remember how i
> set it up.
> I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to execute
> the exe from several computers on a LAN.
> i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
> basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers (lets
> call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it was
> installed on (computer "A")

It amazes me that you didn't think the OS was a factor.
It is nearly the only factor that matters for this question.

wisdomkiller & pain 11-17-2007 09:14 AM

TwistedDreams wrote:

> Hello
>
> I could use some help. I've done this before but i can't remember how i
> set it up.
> I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to execute
> the exe from several computers on a LAN.
> i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
> basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers (lets
> call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it was
> installed on (computer "A")

Installing a application involves (most of the times) not just copying the
exe, but it also needs settings and dll files. So, calling the exe from a
network share alone, will most probably give errors.
You need a full-blown application server - the box where you installed the
program correctly, must in fact export its screen.
A simple way to do this is remote desktop sharing or vnc. But then, this is
not multiuser.

Mike Easter 11-17-2007 10:34 AM

TwistedDreams wrote:

> I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to
> execute the exe from several computers on a LAN.

If an application is 'portable' it doesn't have to be 'installed' --
where the terms portable and installed apply specifically to the usage
of those terms described here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application A portable
application, or portable app for short, is a software program that does
not require any kind of formal installation

> i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
> basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers
> (lets call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it
> was installed on (computer "A")

Opera is one example of a Win application which has an installable
version and a portable version.

The portable version .exe can reside on any of the computers on the LAN
or a USB thumbdrive or whatever. As long as any of the other computers
on the LAN can access the drivespace where the .exe resides, they can
execute the app and use that Opera browser.

There are a number of portable applications. There are also a number of
different Operas, the installable for Win, Mac, OS2, various linuxes,
QNX, Sparc, BeOS, miniOpera for mobile phones, as well as the portable
Win one.

--
Mike Easter

pcbutts1 11-17-2007 02:21 PM

Re: How to execute a program over a LAN

Try using the AT command http://www.ss64.com/nt/at.html

news:Xns99EB19F291C8twisteddreamscom@66.250.146.12 8...

TwistedDreams 11-17-2007 02:53 PM

Re: How to execute a program over a LAN

Mitch <mitch@hawaii.rr> wrote in

> In article <Xns99EB19F291C8twisteddreamscom@66.250.146.128> ,
> TwistedDreams <pyscho@babble.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I could use some help. I've done this before but i can't remember
>> how i
>> set it up.
>> I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to
>> execute
>> the exe from several computers on a LAN.
>> i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
>> basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers
>> (lets call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it
>> was installed on (computer "A")

> It amazes me that you didn't think the OS was a factor.
> It is nearly the only factor that matters for this question.

Computer "A" is a Win 2k box, the others are a mix of Win 2k and XP.

TwistedDreams 11-17-2007 02:54 PM

Re: How to execute a program over a LAN

TwistedDreams <pyscho@babble.com> wrote in
news:Xns99EB19F291C8twisteddreamscom@66.250.146.12 8:

> Hello
>
> I could use some help. I've done this before but i can't remember how
> set it up.
> I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to
> execute
> the exe from several computers on a LAN.
> i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
> basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers
> (lets call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it
> was installed on (computer "A")
>
> TIA

Isn't there a way to just create a shortcut to the exe file on Computer
"A"?

TwistedDreams 11-17-2007 02:57 PM

Re: How to execute a program over a LAN

wisdomkiller & pain <nomail.20.eatallspam@spamgourmet.com> wrote in

> TwistedDreams wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I could use some help. I've done this before but i can't remember
>> how i
>> set it up.
>> I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to
>> execute
>> the exe from several computers on a LAN.
>> i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
>> basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers
>> (lets call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it
>> was installed on (computer "A")
>>

> Installing a application involves (most of the times) not just copying
> the exe, but it also needs settings and dll files. So, calling the exe
> from a network share alone, will most probably give errors.
> You need a full-blown application server - the box where you installed
> the program correctly, must in fact export its screen.
> A simple way to do this is remote desktop sharing or vnc. But then,
> this is not multiuser.

I already use vnc type programs for accessing the desktop. But as you
already guessed it's for multi users. But i think you may have given me a
clue. Copying the exe to the other computers. :)

TwistedDreams 11-17-2007 02:59 PM

Re: How to execute a program over a LAN

"Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in news:13jtgse4e1srb24
@corp.supernews.com:

> TwistedDreams wrote:
>
>> I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to
>> execute the exe from several computers on a LAN.

> If an application is 'portable' it doesn't have to be 'installed' --
> where the terms portable and installed apply specifically to the usage
> of those terms described here
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application A portable
> application, or portable app for short, is a software program that does
> not require any kind of formal installation
>
>> i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
>> basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers
>> (lets call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it
>> was installed on (computer "A")

> Opera is one example of a Win application which has an installable
> version and a portable version.
>
> The portable version .exe can reside on any of the computers on the LAN
> or a USB thumbdrive or whatever. As long as any of the other computers
> on the LAN can access the drivespace where the .exe resides, they can
> execute the app and use that Opera browser.
>
> There are a number of portable applications. There are also a number

of
> different Operas, the installable for Win, Mac, OS2, various linuxes,
> QNX, Sparc, BeOS, miniOpera for mobile phones, as well as the portable
> Win one.

Thanks for the suggestion. The way i had this set up long ago didn't
involve using portable applications. I might look into what you suggested
for some of the apps ;)

TwistedDreams 11-17-2007 03:00 PM

Re: How to execute a program over a LAN

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@leythosthestalker.com> wrote in news:fhmtck$h2i$1
@blackhelicopter.databasix.com:

> Try using the AT command http://www.ss64.com/nt/at.html

Hmmm not sure that's exactly what i'm looking for, but thanks for the input