Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   C Programming (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f42-c-programming.html)
-   -   "Criticism of the C programming language ??????" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t551936-criticism-of-the-c-programming-language.html)

aarklon@gmail.com 11-14-2007 05:03 PM

"Criticism of the C programming language ??????"
 
Hi all,

I found an interesting article here:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...mming_language

well what do you guys think of this article....???
Is it constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated always...???


Kenny McCormack 11-14-2007 05:14 PM

Re: "Criticism of the C programming language ??????"
 
In article <1195059813.896008.137040@v23g2000prn.googlegroups .com>,
<aarklon@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I found an interesting article here:-
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...mming_language
>
>well what do you guys think of this article....???
>Is it constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated always...???


It will start with the standard CLC dogma that wikipedia isn't worth the
electrons it was printed with...


Charlton Wilbur 11-14-2007 05:19 PM

Re: "Criticism of the C programming language ??????"
 
>>>>> "aa" == aarklon <aarklon@gmail.com> writes:

aa> Hi all, I found an interesting article here:-
aa> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...mming_language

aa> well what do you guys think of this article....??? Is it
aa> constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated
aa> always...???

Just about everything on that list was an intentional design choice --
either because it provided some benefit that would otherwise be lost,
because alternative approaches required too much trading off, or
because it made porting C compilers easier to other platforms.

If you find that enough of the things on that list cause you problems,
then C is not the language you should be using. Fortunately, there
are a broad variety of computer languages to choose from, and nobody
is forcing you to use C.

Charlton




--
Charlton Wilbur
cwilbur@chromatico.net

asit 11-14-2007 05:30 PM

Re: "Criticism of the C programming language ??????"
 
On Nov 14, 10:03 pm, aark...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I found an interesting article here:-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_C_programming_language
>
> well what do you guys think of this article....???
> Is it constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated always...???



i agree with this article. but C is good when it comes low level
programming like system programming. but u have to compromise on some
features.


Richard Heathfield 11-14-2007 06:54 PM

Re: "Criticism of the C programming language ??????"
 
aarklon@gmail.com said:

> Hi all,
>
> I found an interesting article here:-
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...mming_language
>
> well what do you guys think of this article....???


See
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....76aff90c6d051e


--
Richard Heathfield <http://www.cpax.org.uk>
Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Google users: <http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/writings/googly.php>
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29 July 1999

Serve Lau 11-14-2007 08:14 PM

Re: "Criticism of the C programming language ??????"
 

"Charlton Wilbur" <cwilbur@chromatico.net> wrote in message
news:87hcjohhiy.fsf@mithril.chromatico.net...
>>>>>> "aa" == aarklon <aarklon@gmail.com> writes:

>
> aa> Hi all, I found an interesting article here:-
> aa>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...mming_language
>
> aa> well what do you guys think of this article....??? Is it
> aa> constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated
> aa> always...???
>
> Just about everything on that list was an intentional design choice --
> either because it provided some benefit that would otherwise be lost,
> because alternative approaches required too much trading off, or
> because it made porting C compilers easier to other platforms.
>
> If you find that enough of the things on that list cause you problems,
> then C is not the language you should be using. Fortunately, there
> are a broad variety of computer languages to choose from, and nobody
> is forcing you to use C.


Most points are just personal opinions. There could be a wiki too, "good
aspects of the C language" and it could say

syntax
no GC
many absent features
has pointers
economy of expression

etc.



Paul Hsieh 11-14-2007 08:53 PM

Re: "Criticism of the C programming language ??????"
 
On Nov 14, 9:03 am, aark...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I found an interesting article here:-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_C_programming_language
>
> well what do you guys think of this article....???


This article barely touches upon the poorly design library, esp. the
lack of re-entrancy and no-aliasing issue, or the conflict created
with C++ with the complex numbers introduced in C99. There is no
mention of the fact that this supposedly "portable" language is most
often used in non-portable custom implementations. For example, C is
heavily used for dynamically loaded device drivers -- but the dynamic
loading part is always platform dependent.

> Is it constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated always...???


Well clearly as there is no further forward development of the C
language, this is mostly just a lot of hot air. But it can serve as a
useful platform for other language designers to know what *NOT* to do.

--
Paul Hsieh
http://bstring.sf.net/
http://www.pobox.com/~qed/


jacob navia 11-14-2007 09:06 PM

Re: "Criticism of the C programming language ??????"
 
Paul Hsieh wrote:
> On Nov 14, 9:03 am, aark...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I found an interesting article here:-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_C_programming_language
>>
>> well what do you guys think of this article....???

>
> This article barely touches upon the poorly design library, esp. the
> lack of re-entrancy and no-aliasing issue, or the conflict created
> with C++ with the complex numbers introduced in C99. There is no
> mention of the fact that this supposedly "portable" language is most
> often used in non-portable custom implementations. For example, C is
> heavily used for dynamically loaded device drivers -- but the dynamic
> loading part is always platform dependent.
>
>> Is it constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated always...???

>
> Well clearly as there is no further forward development of the C
> language, this is mostly just a lot of hot air. But it can serve as a
> useful platform for other language designers to know what *NOT* to do.
>


Not everybody agrees that C is dead and there is no further development.

You are in good company however.

In this group, the official position of the "regulars" is precisely
that:

no new development, back to C 1990, etc.

I have tried (in this group and in comp.std.c) to argue against
that position. I can't say that I have succeeded.

--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr
logiciels/informatique
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

jacob navia 11-14-2007 09:09 PM

Re: "Criticism of the C programming language ??????"
 
Charlton Wilbur wrote:
> Just about everything on that list was an intentional design choice --
> either because it provided some benefit that would otherwise be lost,
> because alternative approaches required too much trading off, or
> because it made porting C compilers easier to other platforms.
>
> If you find that enough of the things on that list cause you problems,
> then C is not the language you should be using. Fortunately, there
> are a broad variety of computer languages to choose from, and nobody
> is forcing you to use C.
>
> Charlton
>


This attitude is the basic error: The obvious shortcommings are always
answered with "go away"... "Use another language", etc.

And (obviously too) not even the shadow of an argumentation.



--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr
logiciels/informatique
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

pete 11-14-2007 09:11 PM

Re: "Criticism of the C programming language ??????"
 
aarklon@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I found an interesting article here:-
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...mming_language
>
> well what do you guys think of this article....???
> Is it constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated always...???


No.

The article is not criticism at all.

The article is about criticism.

The article is an apology(in the classic sense),
concerning some common criticisms of the language.

--
pete


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.