Velocity Reviews

-   -   mallinfo for 64bit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t550386-mallinfo-for-64bit.html)

Amit Gupta 11-08-2007 07:28 PM

mallinfo for 64bit

Greetings

I am not sure if this is the right forum, however if you know the
answer, please post.

What is the alternative to mallinfo, for 64bit systems, for getting
the memory footprint within a program?

Thanks
Amit

Ian Collins 11-08-2007 07:49 PM

Re: mallinfo for 64bit

Amit Gupta wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I am not sure if this is the right forum, however if you know the
> answer, please post.
>
> What is the alternative to mallinfo, for 64bit systems, for getting
> the memory footprint within a program?

Have you checked your documentation or man pages? mallinfo() isn't
standard, so you will have to check your specific version.

--
Ian Collins.

Amit Gupta 11-08-2007 08:54 PM

Re: mallinfo for 64bit

On Nov 8, 11:49 am, Ian Collins <ian-n...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Amit Gupta wrote:
> > Greetings

> > I am not sure if this is the right forum, however if you know the
> > answer, please post.

> > What is the alternative to mallinfo, for 64bit systems, for getting
> > the memory footprint within a program?

> Have you checked your documentation or man pages? mallinfo() isn't
> standard, so you will have to check your specific version.
>
> --
> Ian Collins.

Sorry, but what do you mean, check your specific version?

Mark McIntyre 11-08-2007 11:48 PM

Re: mallinfo for 64bit

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 20:54:10 -0000, in comp.lang.c , Amit Gupta
<emailamit@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Nov 8, 11:49 am, Ian Collins <ian-n...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Amit Gupta wrote:
>> > Greetings

>> > I am not sure if this is the right forum, however if you know the
>> > answer, please post.

>> > What is the alternative to mallinfo, for 64bit systems, for getting
>> > the memory footprint within a program?

>> Have you checked your documentation or man pages? mallinfo() isn't
>> standard, so you will have to check your specific version.
>>
>> --
>> Ian Collins.

>Sorry, but what do you mean, check your specific version?

He means that since mallinfo() isn't standardised, each platform may
implement it differently. Yo uneed to read the manpages for your
version to determine what it does, and then probably ask in
comp.unix.programmer for advice.
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Keith Thompson 11-09-2007 12:46 AM

Re: mallinfo for 64bit

Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> writes:
> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 20:54:10 -0000, in comp.lang.c , Amit Gupta
> <emailamit@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
>>Sorry, but what do you mean, check your specific version?

> He means that since mallinfo() isn't standardised, each platform may
> implement it differently. Yo uneed to read the manpages for your
> version to determine what it does, and then probably ask in
> comp.unix.programmer for advice.

He means that since mallinfo() isn't defined by the C standard, it may
not exist at all on your system. It's also possible that different
systems could have functions with the same name that do different
things. The documentation for your OS, or for your compiler, or for
your runtime library is the first place to look. If that fails, try a
newsgroup that deals with your system; if you're on a Unix-like
system, that would be comp.unix.programmer.

(mallinfo() isn't defined by POSIX, but it's part of the GNU libc.)