Velocity Reviews

-   -   computer opinions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t550019-computer-opinions.html)

chet 11-07-2007 10:58 AM

computer opinions

I did mention in one of my post about the HP Pavillion 6200N vs the
Vostro, for how much I like the HP's specs and not Win Vista, I may go
with a custom built rather than off the shelf, Is there any life
expectency difference between them, can anyone make any suggestion where
I may purchase a reliable performance with Win XP with the same or
better performance specs as the HP Pavillion 6200N.

Chet

Pen 11-07-2007 01:54 PM

Re: computer opinions

chet wrote:

> I did mention in one of my post about the HP Pavillion 6200N vs the
> Vostro, for how much I like the HP's specs and not Win Vista, I may go
> with a custom built rather than off the shelf, Is there any life
> expectency difference between them, can anyone make any suggestion where
> I may purchase a reliable performance with Win XP with the same or
> better performance specs as the HP Pavillion 6200N.
>

> Chet

That HP doesn't have XP available, so if you want XP you're forced to
build it yourself or go to the Dell outlet and pay about the same as HP.
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...=22&l=en&s=dfh

HLS 11-07-2007 05:43 PM

Re: computer opinions

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:fgs9lb$iv1$1@aioe.org...
> chet wrote:
>>

>> I did mention in one of my post about the HP Pavillion 6200N vs the
>> Vostro, for how much I like the HP's specs and not Win Vista, I may go
>> with a custom built rather than off the shelf, Is there any life
>> expectency difference between them, can anyone make any suggestion where
>> I may purchase a reliable performance with Win XP with the same or better
>> performance specs as the HP Pavillion 6200N.
>>

>> Chet

> http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...=GN556AA%23ABA
>
> You could shop for all the components in there, on a site like Newegg,
> and put it all together with a screwdriver :-) But not everyone
> wants to deal with the issues. (The only problem I see with the specs
> in that list, is there isn't a good "gamer" video card in there.)
>
> To solve the "I don't want Vista issue", you could buy a spare hard drive,
> install it in the new computer, and install WinXP on that. Then, use the
> BIOS to select which hard drive to boot. The BIOS usually has boot
> priority
> settings, so you can change the first hard drive it selects.
>
> Just an idea,
> Paul

I just bought a new Compaq which came outfitted with Vista.
I am another person that HATES Vista, and the loss of use of my older Office
software,
printer, scanner, and digital camera. No support under Vista.

This seems like a conveniently fortunate collusion between Microsoft and
some of the
peripheral manufacturers.

A consultant told me that I cannot remove Vista and install Windows 2000
(which I own)
, and that installation of XP (which I would have to purchase) is even in
question. He said XP 'might' run but we might have to get and auxiliary
video card and network card with drivers...Maybe this is a hopeless case.

So the question is, if this is a problem with a newer computer, how can I
know that a
board I would purchase at Newegg, for example, would be compatible with the
older Windows variants? I have a couple of older systems with questionable
motherboards which
could easily enough be reboarded and set to run 2000, XP, or even Linux.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Alex Clayton 11-07-2007 06:07 PM

Re: computer opinions

"chet" <chet@epix.net> wrote in message

> I did mention in one of my post about the HP Pavillion 6200N vs the
> Vostro, for how much I like the HP's specs and not Win Vista, I may go
> with a custom built rather than off the shelf, Is there any life
> expectency difference between them, can anyone make any suggestion where I
> may purchase a reliable performance with Win XP with the same or better
> performance specs as the HP Pavillion 6200N.
>

> Chet

I just bought a new desktop a few months ago, went with Dell because I have
tried Vista and want no part of it. The last I read MS is going to cut off
XP from builders on 1/31/08. Places like Dell are trying to get that
extended, but I decided not to wait. I ordered and got 2 new laptops for my
wife and I with XP. That will hopefully hold us for a while. Check Dells
site. You can add a lot of different things to the PC of your choice ala
cart, so see if they can build what you want and how much, and do it with XP
while they still can. Once MS decides to cut off XP, you are pretty much
stuck.
--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin
Franklin

Baron 11-07-2007 06:51 PM

Re: computer opinions

HLS wrote:

>> chet wrote:
>>>

>>> I did mention in one of my post about the HP Pavillion 6200N vs
>>> the
>>> Vostro, for how much I like the HP's specs and not Win Vista, I may
>>> go with a custom built rather than off the shelf, Is there any life
>>> expectency difference between them, can anyone make any suggestion
>>> where I may purchase a reliable performance with Win XP with the
>>> same or better performance specs as the HP Pavillion 6200N.
>>>

>>> Chet

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...=GN556AA%23ABA

>> You could shop for all the components in there, on a site like
>> Newegg, and put it all together with a screwdriver :-) But not
>> everyone wants to deal with the issues. (The only problem I see with
>> the specs in that list, is there isn't a good "gamer" video card in
>> there.)
>>
>> To solve the "I don't want Vista issue", you could buy a spare hard
>> drive, install it in the new computer, and install WinXP on that.
>> Then, use the BIOS to select which hard drive to boot. The BIOS
>> usually has boot priority
>> settings, so you can change the first hard drive it selects.
>>
>> Just an idea,
>> Paul

> I just bought a new Compaq which came outfitted with Vista.
> I am another person that HATES Vista, and the loss of use of my older
> Office software,
> printer, scanner, and digital camera. No support under Vista.
>
> This seems like a conveniently fortunate collusion between Microsoft
> and some of the
> peripheral manufacturers.
>
> A consultant told me that I cannot remove Vista and install Windows
> 2000 (which I own)

Your consultant is wrong.... Or a Mickysoft mole.

> , and that installation of XP (which I would have to purchase) is even
> in
> question. He said XP 'might' run but we might have to get and
> auxiliary video card and network card with drivers...Maybe this is a
> hopeless case.
>
> So the question is, if this is a problem with a newer computer, how
> can I know that a
> board I would purchase at Newegg, for example, would be compatible
> with the
> older Windows variants? I have a couple of older systems with
> questionable motherboards which
> could easily enough be reboarded and set to run 2000, XP, or even
> Linux.
>
> Thanks in advance for any comments.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

HLS 11-07-2007 07:28 PM

Re: computer opinions

"Baron" <baron.nospam@linuxmainiac.nospam.net> wrote in message
> HLS wrote:
>

>> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

> http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...=GN556AA%23ABA
>>>
>>> You could shop for all the components in there, on a site like
>>> Newegg, and put it all together with a screwdriver :-) But not
>>> everyone wants to deal with the issues. (The only problem I see with
>>> the specs in that list, is there isn't a good "gamer" video card in
>>> there.)
>>>
>>> To solve the "I don't want Vista issue", you could buy a spare hard
>>> drive, install it in the new computer, and install WinXP on that.
>>> Then, use the BIOS to select which hard drive to boot. The BIOS
>>> usually has boot priority
>>> settings, so you can change the first hard drive it selects.
>>>
>>> Just an idea,
>>> Paul

>> I just bought a new Compaq which came outfitted with Vista.
>> I am another person that HATES Vista, and the loss of use of my older
>> Office software,
>> printer, scanner, and digital camera. No support under Vista.
>>
>> This seems like a conveniently fortunate collusion between Microsoft
>> and some of the
>> peripheral manufacturers.
>>
>> A consultant told me that I cannot remove Vista and install Windows
>> 2000 (which I own)

> Your consultant is wrong.... Or a Mickysoft mole.

His being wrong would give me hope..I am desperately anxious to get rid of
Vista.

I am so fed up, I am considering trying to get a separate computer to run
Ubuntu,
or something. (Separate, because I cannot afford to be without a computer
while
getting something else up and running.) If the new computer cannot be
downgraded,
I can just junk it, I guess.

- Bobb - 11-07-2007 09:10 PM

Re: computer opinions

Comments Inline:

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:fgs9lb$iv1$1@aioe.org...

> I just bought a new Compaq which came outfitted with Vista.
> I am another person that HATES Vista, and the loss of use of my older
> Office software,
> printer, scanner, and digital camera. No support under Vista.
>
> This seems like a conveniently fortunate collusion between Microsoft and
> some of the
> peripheral manufacturers.
>
> A consultant told me that I cannot remove Vista and install Windows 2000
> (which I own), and that installation of XP (which I would have to
> purchase)
> is even in question.

RE: " cannot remove Vista and install Windows 2000 "

Does the consultant mean
1 That the LICENSE to use it is not valid on the new box ? OR
2. that Windows 2000 would not work on a 3Ghz dual cpu PC with PCI Express
bus for video ( since Win2000 doesn't know how to handle it) ?

> He said XP 'might' run but we might have to get and auxiliary video card
> and network card with drivers...Maybe this is a hopeless case.
>
> So the question is, if this is a problem with a newer computer, how can
> I know that a board I would purchase at Newegg, for example, would be
> compatible with the older Windows variants?

Call Newegg - they would know which OS supports the device or if drivers
are included with the board for for desired OS.
I would NOT think that your's would be an unusual question for them these
days.
Also at microsoft.com should have HAL online for each OS ( lists all
supported devices as of last update for the OS )

BTW, I have READ that Dell / HP and Compaq will be selling NEW PC's with
XP until year end. BUT you have to ORDER it , you're not gonna find one at
HP or Compaq setup that way UNLESS you order it custom and choose it as
the OS. I was on Dell's site in Sept and still had XP as an choice/option
for the Vostro's a friend was going to order.

HLS 11-07-2007 09:14 PM

Re: computer opinions

news:fKmdnbOC4vdTtK_anZ2dnUVZ_uyinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Comments Inline:
>
> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:fgs9lb$iv1$1@aioe.org...
>>
>> I just bought a new Compaq which came outfitted with Vista.
>> I am another person that HATES Vista, and the loss of use of my older
>> Office software,
>> printer, scanner, and digital camera. No support under Vista.
>>
>> This seems like a conveniently fortunate collusion between Microsoft and
>> some of the
>> peripheral manufacturers.
>>
>> A consultant told me that I cannot remove Vista and install Windows 2000
>> (which I own), and that installation of XP (which I would have to
>> purchase)
>> is even in question.

> RE: " cannot remove Vista and install Windows 2000 "
>
> Does the consultant mean
> 1 That the LICENSE to use it is not valid on the new box ? OR
> 2. that Windows 2000 would not work on a 3Ghz dual cpu PC with PCI Express
> bus for video ( since Win2000 doesn't know how to handle it) ?

Nope, I have the full license and can transfer the old Win 2000 to a single
new
computer.. As if anybody really cared anymore..

He was alluding to your point number (2).

Paul 11-08-2007 12:04 AM

Re: computer opinions

chet wrote:

> I did mention in one of my post about the HP Pavillion 6200N vs the
> Vostro, for how much I like the HP's specs and not Win Vista, I may go
> with a custom built rather than off the shelf, Is there any life
> expectency difference between them, can anyone make any suggestion where
> I may purchase a reliable performance with Win XP with the same or
> better performance specs as the HP Pavillion 6200N.
>

> Chet

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...=GN556AA%23ABA

You could shop for all the components in there, on a site like Newegg,
and put it all together with a screwdriver :-) But not everyone
wants to deal with the issues. (The only problem I see with the specs
in that list, is there isn't a good "gamer" video card in there.)

To solve the "I don't want Vista issue", you could buy a spare hard drive,
install it in the new computer, and install WinXP on that. Then, use the
BIOS to select which hard drive to boot. The BIOS usually has boot priority
settings, so you can change the first hard drive it selects.

I use that scheme on my homebuilt computer. I have two disks, one
with WinXP and one with Linux. I don't use a boot manager to
run them. I use the BIOS to select the boot drive. Yes, it means
entering the BIOS, but it doesn't take long to switch.

I also have a copy of Boot Magic, which is a boot manager, but the
BIOS trick means not having to learn anything :-)

Some BIOS even have a "boot menu". You press a particular key (F8 or F12
or something) and a list of drives shows up in the BIOS screen. You select
the one you want from the list. The advantage of the "boot menu", is your
choice is not saved in the BIOS. The choice you make, only applies to
the current session. I've never tried to get that to work on mine.

Also, when installing OSes, I've discovered that the best policy, is
to disconnect all other hard drives, until the new OS install is finished
on the new drive. Once you've rebooted a couple times, there should be
no chance of any funny issues. Then I can connect the other drives again.

All you need on the new HP, is a spare bay to put the hard drive in.
If there is a spare 3.5" bay, and some sliders or a tray, you should
be able to install an extra drive. If you have a spare 5.25" bay,
one of these kits can adapter a 3.5" hard drive, to fit a 5.25" bay.
You still need sliders or a tray or whatever mechanism comes with
the new computer, plus these rails. These rails "take up the slack".
By the way, this is a horrible price for rails! I used to get these
for a couple bucks (and they used to be included "free" with a retail
packaged hard drive).

StarTech BRACKET Metal 3.5" to 5.25" Drive Adapter Bracket - Retail $12

Just an idea,
Paul

HLS 11-08-2007 01:30 PM

Re: computer opinions

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:fgtv1p$bbq$1@aioe.org...

> The 6150 SE is mentioned here. The difference between it and the
> vanilla 6150, is the capability of driving a DVI port with the
> built-in graphics.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/mobo_gpu_tech_specs.html
>
> I picked this motherboard, because it is similar to the one in your HP
> proposed purchase.
>
> M2NPV-VM for socket AM2 and AMD processors. VGA and DVI connectors.
> http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...01&l3=296&l4=0
>
> Now, we go to the download page. Click the "download" link on the left
> side
> of the product page. When the new page appears, click the "drivers" tab.
> Notice how Win2K is well covered with drivers. You can also download
> display and chipset drivers from the Nvidia site.
>
> Win2K is very similar to WinXP. The only time they differ, is when
> you download a game demo for the latest exciting new game, and some
> idiot designing the demo, makes WinXP specific calls in their code :-(
>
> I use Win2K, and kinda like it. I don't like it for gaming, though,
> because of idiotic exclusions that should not be there.
>
> Paul

Thanks, Paul. This is VERY helpful.
I am really not a gamer so this should have little to no impact on me.

In fact, I may want to play around a bit with Linux.. I understand that it
is now
easy to set up, has file compatibilities with many Microsoft applications
( xls, doc,etc),
and is rock solid.

I really resent being held captive ("tied" in FTC jargon) by Microsoft and
its cronies.