Velocity Reviews

-   -   hp bios (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t549280-hp-bios.html)

lurk 11-04-2007 04:08 PM

hp bios

I picked up a hp computer from a state auction.....the bios is
passworded..how can I reset the password or bypass it........thanks

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 11-04-2007 04:19 PM

Re: hp bios

"lurk" <me@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I picked up a hp computer from a state auction.....the bios is
>passworded..how can I reset the password or bypass it........thanks

If your lucky, just remove the BIOS battery and unplug the computer,
letting it sit for awhile.
--

Loyal to the end
http://i3.tinypic.com/62n4i02.jpg

Fred Kasner 11-04-2007 04:22 PM

Re: hp bios

lurk wrote:
> I picked up a hp computer from a state auction.....the bios is
> passworded..how can I reset the password or bypass it........thanks

Almost certainly there is a jumper on the mother board that if removed
will reset the computer on boot up and produce the original condition of
the computer when it was manufactured. Get a instruction installation
manual from HP for this model for an indication which jumper it is.
FK

VanguardLH 11-04-2007 05:07 PM

Re: hp bios

"lurk" wrote in message
news:A7mXi.16511$lD6.620@newssvr27.news.prodigy.ne t...
>I picked up a hp computer from a state auction.....the bios is
>passworded..how can I reset the password or bypass
>it........thanks

If the password could be bypassed, why would they bother providing
that hardware-based feature?

A computer. Well, what could that be? A desktop unit or a laptop?
Desktops can be opened and a jumper shorted to clear the CMOS table
which will then load with the factory BIOS defaults. You could just
go to HP's web site and read their online manuals for your model that
you didn't bother to mention.

Considering the source of those gov't auctioned properties, you might
want to wipe the hard disk(s) before booting to them. See
www.killdisk.com.