Velocity Reviews

-   -   jpg files gone from folders (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t549115-jpg-files-gone-from-folders.html)

Geoff Pearson 11-03-2007 04:54 PM

jpg files gone from folders

A friend has brought me her laptop (XP) in which after some mysterious crash
all her jpg files have gone leaving an empty structure of folders in her
documents. I've done some file recovery but they don't seem to have been
deleted - just gone.

Any ideas?

Geoff Pearson 11-03-2007 05:11 PM

Re: jpg files gone from folders

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "Geoff Pearson" <gspearson1647@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> A friend has brought me her laptop (XP) in which after some mysterious

> crash
>> all her jpg files have gone leaving an empty structure of folders in her
>> documents. I've done some file recovery but they don't seem to have been
>> deleted - just gone.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> stop using the machine at once
> then slave the drive to another machine with the data recovery software on
> it.
>
> if nothing turns up see if there are a lot of .chk files
>
> if not , try running chkdsk /f
>
> now see if there are any chk files.
>
> then rename the chk files to jpg and see if any are usable
>

> NOTE: jpg (and txt) are very often recoverable...
> though the results with other file formats generally are not so promising

I did take it out to do recovery. I'm off to look at CHK files

philo 11-03-2007 06:07 PM

philo 11-03-2007 06:42 PM

Re: jpg files gone from folders

not so promising

> I did take it out to do recovery. I'm off to look at CHK files

OK post back with what you find (or do not find)

chuckcar 11-03-2007 07:07 PM

Re: jpg files gone from folders

"Geoff Pearson" <gspearson1647@hotmail.com> wrote in

> A friend has brought me her laptop (XP) in which after some mysterious
> crash all her jpg files have gone leaving an empty structure of
> folders in her documents. I've done some file recovery but they don't
> seem to have been deleted - just gone.
>
> Any ideas?

You might also scan the drive for viri/trojans. Some viri/trojans do
delete jpg's - along with other more important files such as *.txt *.doc
*.exe.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Tony 11-03-2007 08:31 PM

Re: jpg files gone from folders

Just right click on any of the folders and click on properties. If there's
something there it'll show up under properties as something other than 0 or an
empty folder.

Rick Merrill 11-03-2007 09:03 PM

Geoff Pearson wrote:
> A friend has brought me her laptop (XP) in which after some mysterious crash
> all her jpg files have gone leaving an empty structure of folders in her
> documents. I've done some file recovery but they don't seem to have been
> deleted - just gone.
>
> Any ideas?

There IS a virus that does this!
I've seen it happen, but can't recall the name.

chuckcar 11-03-2007 10:28 PM

Re: jpg files gone from folders

Rick Merrill <rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com> wrote in

> Geoff Pearson wrote:
>> A friend has brought me her laptop (XP) in which after some
>> mysterious crash all her jpg files have gone leaving an empty
>> structure of folders in her documents. I've done some file recovery
>> but they don't seem to have been deleted - just gone.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> There IS a virus that does this!
> I've seen it happen, but can't recall the name.

Several. Some trojans too.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Tony 11-04-2007 02:36 AM

Re: jpg files gone from folders

Love Letter or I Love You virus. It deletes the Jay Pigs and puts in dummy files.
Changes the extension to .vbs