Velocity Reviews

-   -   Batteries Questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t548877-batteries-questions.html)

Robert11 11-02-2007 11:51 AM

Batteries Questions

Hello,

I realize that this isn't a PC rel;ated question, but I figured if there's
one group that has folks that would know the answer, it would be here. So,
please bear with me a bit.

a. Concerning AC 110 V plug-in wall rechargers for the rechargeable NiCad
and NiMHydride AA and AAA size batteries, I see they have fast-charge and
slow-charge models and options available.

What are the major differences between each, and the pros and cons for
either type of charging ?

b. What's the state of the art these days for rechargeable batteries in
these sizes:

Is it still NiCad, or has everyone gone to NiMHydride's ?

I see that there is also a Hybrid NiMHydride out now ?

Could someone please summarize the differences for each ?

The application would be for a handheld scanner radio.

Much thanks,
Bob

why? 11-02-2007 02:39 PM

Re: Batteries Questions

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 07:51:34 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I realize that this isn't a PC rel;ated question, but I figured if there's

What's that to do with anything?

>one group that has folks that would know the answer, it would be here. So,
>please bear with me a bit.
>
>a. Concerning AC 110 V plug-in wall rechargers for the rechargeable NiCad
>and NiMHydride AA and AAA size batteries, I see they have fast-charge and
>slow-charge models and options available.

IIRC without looking up anything from manuals, www.google.com nickel
based will take a fast charge.

>What are the major differences between each, and the pros and cons for
>either type of charging ?

Overnight or a few hours to charge. If you do some reading you will see
issues surrounding capacity of charge / time to charge / heating during
charge.

Slow charging usually involved less heat and reaches closer to 100%
capacity, fast charging doesn't.

>b. What's the state of the art these days for rechargeable batteries in
>these sizes:
>
>Is it still NiCad, or has everyone gone to NiMHydride's ?

Those aren't sizes, but technology differences. Whatever the application
needs.

>I see that there is also a Hybrid NiMHydride out now ?
>
>Could someone please summarize the differences for each ?

Oh rats, it's your turn , read (saves having to find / copy & paste),
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-11.htm

This was found as fast as it takes to type "Hybrid NiMH" and click on
search in my browser, less than 2 seconds.
http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/hybrid_faq.shtml

>The application would be for a handheld scanner radio.

Why bother with the rest of the long winded fairly pointless question.
go with what the manual says.

More likely you should be looking at the capacity in mAh, 2400mAh NIMH
(had to look up a catalogue) will do fast 1hr charge or 1300mAh in
40min.

Hybrid NiMHydride for a scanner?

Hi drain types are generally for cameras, but suppliers say thiers are
for any application. Rayovac say 500 charges, while other types you
mention earlier are 1000 cycles.

>Much thanks,
>Bob

Me

nobody > 11-03-2007 09:34 PM

Re: Batteries Questions

why? wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 07:51:34 -0400, Robert11 wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I realize that this isn't a PC rel;ated question, but I figured if there's

> What's that to do with anything?
>
>> one group that has folks that would know the answer, it would be here. So,
>> please bear with me a bit.
>>
>> a. Concerning AC 110 V plug-in wall rechargers for the rechargeable NiCad
>> and NiMHydride AA and AAA size batteries, I see they have fast-charge and
>> slow-charge models and options available.

> IIRC without looking up anything from manuals, www.google.com nickel
> based will take a fast charge.
>
>> What are the major differences between each, and the pros and cons for
>> either type of charging ?

> Overnight or a few hours to charge. If you do some reading you will see
> issues surrounding capacity of charge / time to charge / heating during
> charge.
>
> Slow charging usually involved less heat and reaches closer to 100%
> capacity, fast charging doesn't.
>

>> b. What's the state of the art these days for rechargeable batteries in
>> these sizes:
>>
>> Is it still NiCad, or has everyone gone to NiMHydride's ?

> Those aren't sizes, but technology differences. Whatever the application
> needs.
>
>> I see that there is also a Hybrid NiMHydride out now ?
>>
>> Could someone please summarize the differences for each ?

> Oh rats, it's your turn , read (saves having to find / copy & paste),
> http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-11.htm
>
> This was found as fast as it takes to type "Hybrid NiMH" and click on
> search in my browser, less than 2 seconds.
> http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/hybrid_faq.shtml
>
>> The application would be for a handheld scanner radio.

> Why bother with the rest of the long winded fairly pointless question.
> go with what the manual says.
>
> More likely you should be looking at the capacity in mAh, 2400mAh NIMH
> (had to look up a catalogue) will do fast 1hr charge or 1300mAh in
> 40min.
>
> Hybrid NiMHydride for a scanner?
>
> Hi drain types are generally for cameras, but suppliers say thiers are
> for any application. Rayovac say 500 charges, while other types you
> mention earlier are 1000 cycles.
>

>> Much thanks,
>> Bob
>>

> Me

NMH batts also have a faster 'self-discharge' rate, enough so that you'd
notice it from a NiCd battery.

Saving grace is that NMH batteries tolerate partial charges better, so
topping off just before use doesn't rob you of as many charge cycles.