Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT Laptop to LCD TV (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t548854-ot-laptop-to-lcd-tv.html)

Gordon MacPherson 11-02-2007 09:23 AM

OT Laptop to LCD TV

I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may help. I am
going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL 40X2000. I have a Dell
Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab le to hook the two up so that I
can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV. I am told that this may be difficult to
achieve but that there may be adaptors that will do the trick.

I would welcome any advice on how to do this or where else I might go for
advice.

Thanks

Gordon

gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk

frederick 11-02-2007 09:43 AM

Re: OT Laptop to LCD TV

Gordon MacPherson wrote:
> I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may help. I am
> going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL 40X2000. I have a Dell
> Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab le to hook the two up so that I
> can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV. I am told that this may be difficult to
> achieve but that there may be adaptors that will do the trick.
>
> I would welcome any advice on how to do this or where else I might go for
> advice.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gordon
>
> gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk

Curious.
How do they advertise that as "massive 6.2 megapixel
resolution" when it's 1920 x 1080?
Yeah - I know - Nikon seem to use the same trick with their
D3/D300 rear LCDs.

David J Taylor 11-02-2007 11:08 AM

Re: OT Laptop to LCD TV

Gordon MacPherson wrote:
> I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may
> help. I am going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL
> 40X2000. I have a Dell Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab le
> to hook the two up so that I can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV. I am
> told that this may be difficult to achieve but that there may be
> adaptors that will do the trick.
> I would welcome any advice on how to do this or where else I might go
> for advice.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gordon
>
> gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk

I found my laptop would detect my Samsung 26-inch TV through the VGA
connector (providing the TV was switched on when the laptop was booted) at
its native 1366 x 768 pixel resolution, and the ATI video would drive it
at that resolution. I could then use my own slide-show program (or any
standard Windows software) to display on the TV. IIRC, I configured the
laptop as a dual-screen Windows system, so that I had full control on the
laptop monitor (1st screen) and the slideshow only on the TV (2nd screen).

Cheers,
David

David J Taylor 11-02-2007 11:12 AM

Re: OT Laptop to LCD TV

frederick wrote:
> Gordon MacPherson wrote:
>> I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may
>> help. I am going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL
>> 40X2000. I have a Dell Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab
>> le to hook the two up so that I can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV.
>> I am told that this may be difficult to achieve but that there may
>> be adaptors that will do the trick. I would welcome any advice on how
>> to do this or where else I might
>> go for advice.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Gordon
>>
>> gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk
>>

> Curious.
> How do they advertise that as "massive 6.2 megapixel
> resolution" when it's 1920 x 1080?
> Yeah - I know - Nikon seem to use the same trick with their
> D3/D300 rear LCDs.

As do every other camera manufacturer - unless you know otherwise.

1920 x 1080 x 3 = 6220800 ......

Actually, as camera don't have RGB sensors at each photosite (Sigma
excpeted), a 6Mpix Canon might actually be more accurately described as
2Mpix!

[Expect long discussion to follow!]

Cheers,
David

Steve 11-02-2007 04:46 PM

Re: OT Laptop to LCD TV

Gordon MacPherson wrote:
I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may
help. I am going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL
40X2000. I have a Dell Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be able
to hook the two up so that I can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV.
I am told that this may be difficult to achieve but that there may
be adaptors that will do the trick. I would welcome any advice on how
to do this or where else I might
go for advice.
Thanks
Gordon

I can't guarantee this but my Dell Latitude C610 simply hooks up to a
socket on the back of the LCD TV just like hooking it up to an
external monitor. Then, when I fire up the laptop, I use "Source" on
the TV remote go into into Setup (for the TV, not the laptop) and
press 3 on the remote. Anything that would appear on the Dell screen
now appears on the TV screen.
Hope that helps.

Pat 11-02-2007 05:47 PM

Re: OT Laptop to LCD TV

On Nov 2, 5:23 am, "Gordon MacPherson"
<gordon.macpher...@path.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may help. I am
> going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL 40X2000. I have a Dell
> Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab le to hook the two up so that I
> can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV. I am told that this may be difficult to
> achieve but that there may be adaptors that will do the trick.
>
> I would welcome any advice on how to do this or where else I might go for
> advice.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gordon
>
> gordon.macpher...@path.ox.ac.uk

I don't know that computer or TV, nor do I care to research this, but
why not just buy a TV with a VGA port and plug it in and be done with
it. If you laptop is the problem, then go get one with a external VGA
port (but most have it).

So I guess I don't see what the problem is.

Good Man 11-02-2007 07:02 PM

Re: OT Laptop to LCD TV

"Gordon MacPherson" <gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk> wrote in

> I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may help.
> I am going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL 40X2000. I
> have a Dell Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab le to hook the
> two up so that I can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV. I am told that
> this may be difficult to achieve but that there may be adaptors that
> will do the trick.

You can also just get a HDTV with a card reader (they tend to be SD cards).

It all depends on the outputs on your notebook. You should hope it has its
own dedicated graphics card (not the intel on-board) and ideally, an HDMI
port. But you'll probably be looking at a VGA or S-Video output, neither
of which are fantastic for your new LCD TV.

Don Stauffer in Minnesota 11-03-2007 02:26 PM

Re: OT Laptop to LCD TV

On Nov 2, 5:12 am, "David J Taylor" <david-tay...@blueyonder.not-this-
bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
> frederick wrote:
> > Gordon MacPherson wrote:
> >> I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may
> >> help. I am going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL
> >> 40X2000. I have a Dell Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab
> >> le to hook the two up so that I can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV.
> >> I am told that this may be difficult to achieve but that there may
> >> be adaptors that will do the trick. I would welcome any advice on how
> >> to do this or where else I might
> >> go for advice.

> >> Thanks

> >> Gordon

> >> gordon.macpher...@path.ox.ac.uk

> > Curious.
> > How do they advertise that as "massive 6.2 megapixel
> > resolution" when it's 1920 x 1080?
> > Yeah - I know - Nikon seem to use the same trick with their
> > D3/D300 rear LCDs.

> As do every other camera manufacturer - unless you know otherwise.
>
> 1920 x 1080 x 3 = 6220800 ......
>
> Actually, as camera don't have RGB sensors at each photosite (Sigma
> excpeted), a 6Mpix Canon might actually be more accurately described as
> 2Mpix!
>
> [Expect long discussion to follow!]
>
> Cheers,
> David

Okay, I'll start it. Yes, there is SOME resolution loss in the
matrixing scheme, but not by a factor of three (or square root of
three, since common metrics of resolution are based on a linear
dimension). Also, effect is different between luminance contrast and
color contrast.

Ilya Zakharevich 12-14-2007 10:07 AM

Re: OT Laptop to LCD TV

Gordon MacPherson
<gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk>], who wrote in article <fgeppr$un0$1@frank-exchange-of-views.oucs.ox.ac.uk>:
> I am not sure where to go for advice but hope that the group may help. I am
> going to buy a LCD TV - probably a Sony Bravia KDL 40X2000. I have a Dell
> Latitude D410 laptop. I would like to be ab le to hook the two up so that I
> can view JPEGS FULL SIZE on the TV. I am told that this may be difficult to
> achieve but that there may be adaptors that will do the trick.

I've heard that (some?) Bravias have a media slot. Then you may need
no computer at all.

Additionally, (cheap and) decent DVD players have memory slots and/or
USB ports, and may show your JPEGs at the maximal monitor's
resolution. (At least Philips 5982 can.)

AFAIK, laptops which can connect to monitors digitally are quite rare
(if they exist at all).

Hope this helps,
Ilya

pjp 12-14-2007 01:01 PM

Re: OT Laptop to LCD TV

Seems almost all newer lcd style tvs (even smaller ones) now actually have a
standard VGA connector. You switch the tv's input from Tuner, thru Composite
Input(s) to VGA input etc. to use. One's I've seen so far seem to handle up
to at least 1280x1024 resolution. Also seems almost all laptops have a vga
connector for an external monitor so it basically becomes use TV as laptop
monitor. Is that what you want? IF so nothing to it but money :)

I often take my laptop out to a buddies and hook it to his 42" tv to play
various pc games, looks great.