Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lens recommendation (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t548776-lens-recommendation.html)

rick dowling 11-02-2007 12:50 AM

Lens recommendation

I have a Canon 28-135 mm lens that I'm using on a 350D. It's an OK lens but
I'm having some wobble near the glass and rather than have it fixed I would
like to get a new lens. Any recommendations on similar telephoto lenses?

David J. Littleboy 11-02-2007 01:30 AM

Re: Lens recommendation

"rick dowling" <elaphe@knology.net> wrote:
>I have a Canon 28-135 mm lens that I'm using on a 350D. It's an OK lens
>but I'm having some wobble near the glass and rather than have it fixed I
>would like to get a new lens. Any recommendations on similar telephoto
>lenses?

The obvious answer is the 24-105/4.0 IS.

The 24-105/4.0 is expensive and heavy and has a bit more light falloff at
24mm on FF than I'd like, but I hear lots of people making very happy noises
about it. (I'm praying for a 55-110/2.0 and in the meantime being very happy
with the weight and sharpness and speed and price of the Tamron 28-75/2.8; a
real gem but it does wobble a bit at the long end and it doesn't get close
enough to the range you are used to.)

Since it's an internal-focus lens, it won't have the wobble problem.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Joseph Meehan 11-02-2007 12:09 PM

Re: Lens recommendation

Does whatever is wobbling, cause a image problem?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Allan Sheppard 11-02-2007 07:05 PM

Re: Lens recommendation

Hi Rick,
I have had the 28-135 for 5 years and have had a 'loose' front since
the beginning. Others have commented the same over the years.

Good news is that it appears to have no effect on the performance for
a ~ 5x zoom, ie, better than kit lens but not up to L standard.

Hope this helps
Allan

Joseph Meehan 11-03-2007 11:21 AM

Re: Lens recommendation

"Joseph Meehan" <sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does whatever is wobbling, cause a image problem?

RD> No, I'm just assuming that it's going to at some point.

I suspect it will last as long an any other lens. I have had a lens or
two that felt that way and never had one of them fail or cause a problem.
They sure don't feel reasuring, but they don't seem to cause problems.

I think I would save my money for something else.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit